It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did GOP slow down convention today to dump Palin ad pick new VP?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

I agree. It's not longer a question of IF Palin will go but WHEN and HOW (resignation? sacking?)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Does it? I would think that Palin's daughter is proof that if you don't practice abstinence, you can indeed get pregnant.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rren

The only people that it will hurt her with are the big city elites, liberals, etc...people who look down their noses at the thousands of rural and semi-rural towns all across this country. McCain did not make this pick in order to appeal to the segment of the left that thinks that way.

I think that blue collar and working class people will view them very positively. It will be a signal that finally, we may get a government that is of the people, for the people and by the people. I think she'll go over very, very well with the average, everyday American once they start getting to know her, hear about her background, and realize that she's actually a very strong, intelligent woman who has worked hard and come a very long way in life. It'll be a very big plus, I believe.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Um, all you Pro Abstinence people, you do realize you base all your BS on the Bible. And what is in the Bible? A WOMAN WHO WAS ABSTINENT AND STILL GOT PREGNANT!

So really you should teach that Abstinence is 99.999% effective.

Anyways, so this woman is such a good mother she let her under 18 year old daughter sleep around and get pregnant? Great leadership there... Reminds me of Jamie Lynn Spears mom.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

Excellent post. What better argument for Barack Obama, the Democratic Party, and liberals everywhere to make than to argue that any woman who has a daughter that has become pregnant is a bad mother comparable to the Spears clan.

Great, great argument. I hope Obama makes that one on national TV.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
reply to post by Fathom

I am not a liberal.

I was thrilled when I heard Palin was the choice. But not anymore.

I am a catholic, pro-life conservative. I teach my children the difference between lust and love. I teach them they are free to choose. I teach them to consider the consequences of choosing lust and living a life out of order.
If you live out of order you cause a chaotic chain of problems. Lust is impatient and selfish.

But I hope my children will choose Love-which is patient. If you use wisdom and strength of character you can control yourself and keep your goals ahead of you. Yes, if you live your life in a intelligent and orderly way: education before dating, marriage before children, you will have the building blocks to a stable and happy family.

This is what I consider common sense wisdom, which I expect in my national leaders.

I also love politics and have considered running for office. If this happened to my family, I would step down, so as to protect my daughter. I do not want to live in an America where it is ok to have babies out of marriage, look, everybody's doing it. No! Everybody does not do it!

You have no choice but to live in an america where it is ok to have kids out of wedlock, unless of course you don't want to live here at all. It is perfectly fine that Palin's daughter got knocked up. Now she has to make sure she can take care of her child, which I'm sure, with all that polotician money, she can. It is perfectly fine if anyone has a kid out of wedlock so long as they can take care of that kid. I know plenty of people that have kids after marriage that hould not be parents, and yet plenty that never get married but have kids and are perfect parents.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

My argument about emotional intelligence is not bible based! It is based on experience and evidence in the real world. If you concentrate on your education, avoid dating until college, avoid situations where you can be around people who do not know the difference between lust and love, you can stay focused and keep your goals in tact.

It worked for me, for my mother, for my best friend, my sister, and three of my best friends now. I am 38 years old. I did not date until I had almost finished my BA and my mom, sister and friends were the same. I don't think I am so far out of the norm. I do think most college bound women avoid stupid boys who just want to get in their pants.

I have always worried about John McCains emotional intelligence and how his trauma as a POW might make him the war monger he is, I was hoping Palin would balance him, but now I see since she could help her children avoid impulsive mistakes, she will not be able to help McCain avoid impulsive mistakes.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
my feeling is this will play badly for the GOP. I think we will see it reflecting negatively in opinion polls.

whats palin going to do drag everyone to D.C or leave them hundreds of miles away in alaska. Looks like she's putting her career before her family. Not good.

time will tell if this was a good decision. Also i dont agree with her forcing those kids to get married.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
The only people that it will hurt her with are the big city elites, liberals, etc...people who look down their noses at the thousands of rural and semi-rural towns all across this country.

I'm not so sure. I think many Americans will have a hard time pulling the lever. I figured Clinton would have had a tough go of it, and she'd have much more experience, connections and the liberal base rooting her on all the way. I think it's doubly tough for a woman to do it on the GoP side. Especially one whom has such limited experience. McCain is no spring chicken which (imo) makes is VP pick that much more important.

McCain did not make this pick in order to appeal to the segment of the left that thinks that way.

What about the segment on the right? Is it your opinion that a woman with little to no foreign policy experience is an easier sell to the right and/or middle? Other than her 'family values' positions what does she bring to the table? I know that the GoP Powers That Be have got game, so I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop... still, I can't help but think that this was a miscalculation.

I think that blue collar and working class people will view them very positively.

She's likeable, sure. But, presidential? I think that's a much tougher.

It will be a signal that finally, we may get a government that is of the people, for the people and by the people. I think she'll go over very, very well with the average, everyday American once they start getting to know her, hear about her background, and realize that she's actually a very strong, intelligent woman who has worked hard and come a very long way in life. It'll be a very big plus, I believe.

Perhaps. I say the 'family values' votes were already secure. I don't see what all she brings to the table that will impress/swing the undecideds. Worse case scenario, God forbid, something happens to McCain, can she run the country/be the most powerful person in the free world? On what grounds? 'Cause she's likable and the average Joe can relate to her? Tough sell. I think conservatives and independents will have a tough time going there without something more. I'm just not seeing it yet.

But, on topic, should she step down over this pregnancy thing? No, of course not. Says nothing about her ability to be VP or the PoTUS in waiting, imo.

Could they use this as an excuse to switch picks? Risky. Unlikely.

Seems she wasn't properly vetted, though (which is odd) and I still doubt the behind-the-scenes guys think the pick was a wise one. So maybe. It's an interesting idea... ultimately having nothing to do with her daughter's pregnancy but it does give an out (she has to be there for her family now, she asked to be replaced, whatever, etc..)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

Don't you find it a bit silly to put so much emphasis on experience, when the "experienced" politicians we have, have terrible policies, like our current foreign policy, our current taxation policies, our current economic policies, etc etc?

I could care less if someone had NEVER been a politician and they were running for president, as long as they can show me a clear, workable plan to make this country better. Lest you forget, we have something called a constitution. It provides all necessary guidelines for governing. All a candidate needs is respect for that guidance and the intelligence to apply it. And we have mountains of proof that most "experienced" politicians have neither of those attributes.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnine_sweet

Don't you find it a bit silly to put so much emphasis on experience, when the "experienced" politicians we have, have terrible policies, like our current foreign policy, our current taxation policies, our current economic policies, etc etc?

Which of those 'terrible policies' you've just listed do you think will change significantly under a McCain-Palin administration? Do you have any concerns that Palin may not be best suited for getting those policy changes done. . . much less running the country should needs be?

I could care less if someone had NEVER been a politician and they were running for president, as long as they can show me a clear, workable plan to make this country better.

Sure, who wouldn't agree? But, she's not writing any of the policy.

Lest you forget, we have something called a constitution. It provides all necessary guidelines for governing. All a candidate needs is respect for that guidance and the intelligence to apply it. And we have mountains of proof that most "experienced" politicians have neither of those attributes.

Only if... we shall see.

On topic: If there's any chance of the ol' VP switcheroo we'll see clear signs soon. They'll be testing the waters during the convention, no doubt.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

My reply was not meant as a defense of McCain/Palin. Just a commentary on what I see as a poor perspective on the issue. Experience matters very little, either way, in regards to any candidates.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
No. They are calling this a "compressed convention". Looks like the GOP base is ok right now. Working at getting the Hillary dems from what I can see.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

she has every conservative in the nation in love with her.
she is the reason McCain wll be president.

Every conservative in the nation isnt what is going to get mccain elected.

If that were the case, then a democratic president would NEVER exist.

Palin is not what McCain needs to draw in the swing voters

especially when she's anti-rights for women and homosexuals

not really going to win a few hundred million fans there...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

Actually, if not for Ross Perot running in 1992 and 1996 there might not have been a Democratic president since 1976 when Carter won after Watergate.

Yes, Palin's nomination and the instantaneous attacks against her have rallied the conservative base like I haven't seen since Reagan. Conservatives were only luke warm to Bush in 2004, but they have been energized by Palin.

The bottom line is Americans in general would rather the government have less intrusion and control on their lives than more. Obama wants to micromanage your life down to what temperature you set your thermostat and how much air you put in your tires. People don't like that, especially here in PA.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
reply to post by Fathom

she has every conservative in the nation in love with her.
she is the reason McCain wll be president.

especially when she's anti-rights for women and homosexuals

not really going to win a few hundred million fans there...

What about all the swing votes that don't like the anti-gun liberals who want to redefine marriage?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The issue isn't Bristol Palin's pregnancy. The issue is McCain's shameful lack of judgment in choosing Palin as his running mate. The pregnancy is just one of many issues that the opposition can harp on and will be a drag on the campaign. McCain either failed to vet Palin properly. Or -- and this is even worse -- he knew about her baggage and still chose her, not realizing or caring about the effect these issues would have on his campaign in a close race. If McCain wants to win this election, he needs to dump Palin and pick a vice-presidential candidate who isn't an embarrassment to the party.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join