It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Husband quit smoking, divorce pending :-P

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
To his credit, he knew he couldn't quit smoking alone after 25 years of smoking, so he went to the doctor who gave him pills to help him. Yeah.

Before the weekend was over, I wanted to light up for him. Grouchy old cuss.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
IF he is taking that new pill.. i forgot what it is call, Chantix or something then he may be experiencing some horrible side effects. MY roommate took those pills and turned into a miserable [snip] and had suicidal thoughts, which he has never even considered before taking the pills.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Yeah- those pills. The disclaimers on the pills does warn of anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. So we discussed that all ahead of time so that if he is feeling that way he needs to openly discuss it and remind himself that it is just he medication and it will pass. He is actually a big talker, which will serve him well in this case.

Did they work and did your roomate stop smoking for good?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora

Did they work and did your roomate stop smoking for good?

OF COURSE NOT! haha

The only thing that works is mental power.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That's funny
I've wondered a few times if the pills aren't just sugar pills that make him think they are doing all the work for him. Like I care, so long as it works.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I'm sorry your going through this sweetie. I had a friend who was taking Wellbutrin for depression and when it didn't work as well, the doctor upped the daily dosage to 3 times a day. After 8 mos. he was so far gone it seemed he would never recover from it. Yes, it made him exponentially more depressed. I finally told him to put it down and stop taking it. Bad advice, especially from a medical standpoint, to stop taking that type of medication all at once. But that was a year ago. He is in great shape and becoming his old self again. He looks great, now has a great job, and his outlook on life is superb.

Unfortunately it wasn't in time to save his marriage but he still has his head up.

Wellbutrin is also used for smoking cessation. He takes no medications at all now. He no longer believes in them.

Good luck to you.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I tried that Wellbutrin to quit smoking a year ago... I took it for about 4 months and although it helped a smidgen... it made me a totally different person. I quit taking it all at once and wow that was not fun at all. I will never take a drug again besides an antibiotic. BTW I still smoke, I wanted to give that Chantix a shot but I'm very leery on taking something again that interacts with brain chemicals.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thanks
Its getting better. He isn't nearly as snippy as he was over the weekend, and he hasn't had a cig since Monday morning. Yay him! Who knows, I may just let him live after all, lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

I agree, but taking these types of meds to stop smoking is only temporary-- at least that is how I look at it.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I agree also that it is temporary, I know that it's not good for you, but on the flip side of the coin the amount of chemicals you inhale from sitting in your home is rediculous even non-smokers. Paint on the walls, carpet, furniture. Hope it works out for you

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Kudos for sticking by him; I'm a smoker who's tried to quit a few times, and it's not exactly fun.

The meds might help a bit -- I was on Wellbutrin for a bit for depression, and it did cut me down a very small amount, maybe one smoke a day out of a pack and a half -- but it really is a mental thing, as hikix said. If he really wants to quit, he'll quit and the pills won't matter; if he doesn't want to quit, then all the pills in the world won't do a bit of good.

That's the hardest thing, is being really honest with yourself about whether you want to quit or not. I fought it for a few years to try to please a girl I was seeing, when I finally just said to heck with it, I don't want to quit yet. There's been times when I've felt "close" to wanting to quit, so I know it'll happen someday. Just not today

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Good luck! I agree that it doesn't work until you are ready, which is why I never told Hubs that I wanted him to quit. I figured it would just make it more appealing for him if he thought he was rebeling. So it happened when he was ready.

Again, good luck when the time is right for you.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
If he really wants to quit, he'll quit and the pills won't matter; if he doesn't want to quit, then all the pills in the world won't do a bit of good.
That's the hardest thing, is being really honest with yourself about whether you want to quit or not.

In a former life i was a substance abuse counselor. This sums it up in a nutshell. Another way of saying it is "When the pupil is ready the teacher will appear."

Best of luck to you and your hubby... no way to get through this but together. Of course, easier said then done but try to be extra patient, understanding and supportive... with your help he can do it, provided he really wants to quit and for the right reasons.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
[edit on 6 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
hang in there, You both will make it through. It is a tough situation, but I imagine things will be calming down soon enough.

I have heard quiting smoking being compared to quiting heroine before. They say it is just SO hard to get off of it.

It may be REALLY hard right now, but it will be worth it for both of you in the long run.

Peace love and good luck!

GST

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Well, by now his brain chemistry should be stabalising. So his moods should have calmed down a bit. I hope for you both that it has, I've also tried to quit a few times, and it's no easy ride. The drugs in cigarettes change your brain chemistry, so it makes it a normal state, to have the smoking drugs in your system, when they are not in your system, your brain sends signals out that things are not good, it needs to be fixed. The only fix is more smoke. It's such a terrible thing to go through, you have a constant feeling of total frustration and it's unbearable. No easy ride for who ever you're in the close proximity of, either. Every breath you take, it feels like you've only taken half a breath, cos it wasn't filled with smoke.
Nice one for not killing him in the face while he suffered intensly. It makes both of you saints.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I can sympathise with your husband.

I have smoked for almost 17 years, and I am 30. I quit smoking for three years when I was 24, never in my life have I been so miserable. I put on almost 20 kilos, I couldn´t sleep, couldn´t stay awake, couldn´t think clearly, etc....

It was like being drugged all the time, I wasn´t on control of my senses or temper.

Please have patience with your husband.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The only thing that works is to stop smoking. It's really simple, don't put the cigarette in your mouth, if somebody "truly" wants to stop, then it's easy.

No drugs needed.

I still can't understand why some people say, "i'm gonna quite smoking now" Then litrelly the next day I see them smoking! lol

Addiction is the problem....

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Smoking is terrible, for multiple reasons... Although i have my own vices and thoughts on smoking - bare with your Husband

It's going to be worth it for you both when he's finished.

I tend to agree, that the best way to stop - is to just do it.

- Carrot

new topics

top topics

join