It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much Oil do we have left?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the post.

I don't think the amount of oil used in a war would be anywhere near the amount possibly gained through victory.

Russia and China, or at least the people in charge, certainly are possible victors, they have partaken in joint military exercises.

Let's hope the scientists save the day and the pen is indeed mightier than the sword.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

So you think a war is on the horizon? It would seem like one could be. We have survived global crises before in history, but this many at once? Oil, Climate Change, Terrorism, if it's real NWO, Food prices, Population, and everybody being just that little bit angrier and more aggressive than they used to be.

Play this out then. Potential sides in this war? Who would oppose who and more importantly, who would start it?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

People would go crazy with the lack of oil. So even if we didnt go to war for the oil, the population would go to war with itself tearing itself apart from the inside out.

There are to many materialistic people in the world to go without planes, trains and automobiles. The people that are not aware to the lack of oil (due to ignorance) would cause more problems than anything else. Just down to greed.

So lets hope the pen is mightier than the sword indeed Sendran

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Oil will never run out in my lifetime and if I live an average age that will be at least another 30 years.

I predict that in 10 years the world will be using half of what we are using now. In 2010 the mass produced electrics will begin to come on the market. Once people learn how nice it is not having to pay $100 to fill up that tank once a week everyone will want to go electric or maybe someone will even begin to mass produce natural gas cars.

There's plenty of oil and as long as there' demand they will extract it from the ground even if it cost more to do, but we will use less because it cost to much to waste like we do today and we will have other alternatives.

The first electric Dirt Bike is already available. I'm sure we'll see some good electric scooters come along - not just the novelty ones we see today. ATV's will follow and maybe ever snow machines and personal water craft after they get better motors and longer lasting batteries.

Soon the Aptera will be cruising the streets at over 100 mpg which will make it affordable for 10-15 dollar a gallon gas.

Then again we could go with the Aircar that runs on compressed air.

In 20 years when a gas car travels past a group of people on the sidewalk they will all comment about how noisy it is and how much it stinks and how they can't believe we used them for so long.

Nope Oil will never run out because we are going to quit using it in mass quantities before it does.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Some good vehicles there, but I bet none of them have any character!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Well give it some time and there will be some with a little more style.

Maybe the Tesla is more your style, but I didn't put it only the list because it's priced out of reach for most average joe's. I would expect somebody will come up with something in between priced closer to a corvette.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The electric Elise? A good start. What I mean is character, feel, sound, atmosphere. I know that will come with time but we must go through the dark ages of motoring before we get there!

"There's no replacement for displacement." -Carol Shelby

Ok for cars and personal transport, what about the mammoth ships that transport our goods, and planes?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

No doubt - I prefer a V8 under the hood, but in the future I think that will be more of a novelty that we might do one weekend a year for recreation not daily commuting.

Well, it's the cars that are driving up the oil prices and using most the oil - I think. We will be using oil for probably another few hundred years, but not for personal transportation.

I don't even think we have the technology yet for an electric powered big rig, but we could run one on natural gas, hydrogen etc.

As far as ships and airplanes - well they will probably be the last of the oil users. Then again I could see ships more easily moving to hydrogen and using sea water to extract it from. Then again the Navy already uses Nuclear power - why not civilian ships someday?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I agree with you regarding nuclear powered ships. It makes sense as an alternative, except for the whole mobile meltdown part, but I suppose everything has a risk.

I wonder if the rate of consumption of oil will drop enough to counter the increase in use to allow us as long as you say, but I've learned a bit more and understand a bit more to realise that things aren't as bad as I initially thought. If we avoid a war over this, as unlikely as that maybe, I believe we have what it takes to make the transition.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
No matter how long we have left in oil be that 10 years, 20 years or even 100 years. War is inevitable for the remaining amount. That we can be certain.

So can we live without it, is there an answer on the horizon?

We are seeing alot more hybrid and electic cars on the roads now, so the population must be taking to them. Can they really be that bad. I don't like the idea of hydrogen powered cars that we are hearing about, its a mobile bomb waiting to happen. Same with nuclear powered boats.

Fair enough with every new invention and better ways to stay mobile that we come up with carries risks, just like everything else in life. Lets hope that we can find a safe and reliable solution before its to late.

sty

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
if US will stay away from the middle east, i suspect we can even see a major conflict between Russia and China on the remaining reserves .. during this time US and Europe could get sustainable energy economy . However, as long as petrol is cheap enough this would affect the final price of the "green products" - my soulution would be to create a "score" for every product , and this score to reflect the polution created by producing the "product" . A tax should be applied according to this score. Green energy products sure should have no tax. This would help the economy shift greener before the petrol is over.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It will not happen like that. The governments are always tring to tax what ever they can. Regardless of wither or not it helps the planet.

Russia and China will be the biggest threat but America will get involved so will Britain. Everyone will want the oil, not matter what other energies we are using. Oil is so very useful that people will not just give it up.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

Thanks for the post.

Interesting concept with the scoring system, isn't that what they're doing anyway now? In the UK our cars are taxed depending on their emmisions, and the Carbon Tax will be relative to the company's carbon footprint.

I liked the idea of the US staying out of the Middle East. Good one.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
There is no chance of America staying out of the middle east, they went to fight a war on terror there, or so they say. Its for the oil. They want to get it now in order to be the last ones with it.

Control the oil.....control the world

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mach Shadows

The power of oil will only be until a new energy is brought forward. Then we can have lots of new wars and arguments over that one.

Unless we don't, in which case I think dbates is about right, don't know about the prophetic reference or the time frame, but war is what we, or rather the powers that be, do.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
War is human nature, we are all animals after all. There will always be something to fight over.

There is so many uses for oil that we will want to keep it. Its used everyday for so much that when its gone people will fight. We need a new energy source to be up and running and take over the everyday use before oil runs out. That way people dont kill each other.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Mach Shadows]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Regardless of how important oil is, we have the technology to replace it. At the very least it's just a matter of spending enough money to develop these technologies and bring them to market.

I think at this point is safe to say oil is going to remain expensive and as long as it is forecast to be more expensive than the alternatives that is enough incentive to put money into electrics and the rest.

Remember electricity can be created with wind, solar, fossil fuels, hydro power & nuclear. It is the easiest storage medium and a much simpler technology than gasoline powered cars now that battery technology has advanced enough.

If I was a betting man I'd put my money into batteries and the raw materials used to make them.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Batteries and mobile power are the future for our personal energy requirements, and wireless power transfer is already here. Recharge stations could replace petrol stations like on Tomorrow's World (UK show).

There's a theory on perpetual power batteries using radioactive metal layers within the battery to constantly ionise the cell. I can't remember where I saw that though.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The general rule is that once a certain commodity decreases in total quantity, people will surpass any negative impact incurred by loss of said commodity through adaptation and innovation. I mean the prospect of not ever being able to drive again is fairly daunting. Certain invested people and corporations especially will tend to work incredibly hard to meet the demand of all those goods, services and possibilities that are only capable of being supplied by the availability of aforementioned commodity (oil in this case).

You're already seeing this process take place. There are huge government initiatives taking place across the world in the field of new and renewable energy sources, there are lobbyists advocating their own ideas in congress, the current presidential candidates are making "claims" to meet the demand for energy by investing in new technology, however legitimate those claims may be will only be revealed in time. Large corporations, such as GM, are already developing hybrid cars, and are well on their way to producing 100% gasoline free alternatives, or are at the very least going through extensive planning to produce them. Who knows, there could be increased investment in capital goods such as oil drilling machinery. Because of this incredible demand for oil, we may in fact forsake investment into any alternative fuels and develop more efficient and more invasive oil drilling machinery. If the U.S. decides to cut off their oil supply from the Middle East entirely, they will be forced to devise a highly efficient system for extracting and transporting domestic oils, because frankly there isn't really much at all. Providing domestic oils to consumers at a reasonable price will be possible by expanding and developing current oil infrastructure, as well as improving the technology by which it is extracted. If we become good enough at this, there would be no point to understanding alternative energy sources, because the opportunity cost of not drilling oil would be far too great, albeit for the sake of the environment (if that movement is large enough to effect politics to such an extent by that time is questionable).

Forgive me for getting too far in U.S. politics, but as the presidential elections are coming up I think it's quite relevant, especially with the majority of users of this forum being residents there. If we can't efficiently supply domestic oils, and I mean efficiently by that consumers will be able to afford this product at a reasonable price, then the search for alternative energy sources will definitely be advanced. Nuclear power will come first, despite wavering public opinion. The good old Senators will make sure to convince everyone that this is the best option. And Canadians will reap the benefit (profit) of sitting on a massive supply of radioactive metals.

In the end, we may become so good at drilling that we discover an immense reserve tens of thousands of feet below the surface of the water and solve all of our problems. This topic (peak oil), however, has been thoroughly studied and it is apparent that we've already passed that date. But being a skeptic is always fun.

Also, I believe humans are more optimistic than given credit for. More Julian Simon than Malthus.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I've just been reading a thread which links in to this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by ATruGod

The link he provides points to an article on the MSN Money Central site. In the article it says Brazil have discovered two sizeable deposits. It also states that OPEC may be falling apart with the exit of Saudi Arabia.

Just a heads up in case anyone reading hadn't seen it.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Sendran]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join