It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The North Pole becomes an 'island' for the first time in history as ice melts

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus
Ah, infra-red imaging! Thank you, Prof, this info will indeed be helpful to me.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
can someone post link, to the pictures??

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

Which pictures are you after?
The ones relating to the OP are in the link to the article. link

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Oops, total ignorance on my part....ima spaz

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You are sadly mistaken... and way off.. much of the ice IS NOT floating in the oceans.. your comparing ICE in a glass to that of the oceans? That is quite the stretch.. Greenland is ICE on LAND..not the ocean.. with bedrock below..
and the oceans HAVE ALREADY risen approx. 3inches in the past years...
and yes, microscopic changes in the atmosphere are devastating to the natural cycle...
So, in the past 100years... Trillions and trillions of tonnes of Co2 emitted into the air, just by Automobiles alone has done nothing to the natural cycle??? thats even more of a stretch.. it is completely illogical. BUT.. the great part is.. you can say the majority is wrong all you want.. b/c now, the debate is over.. Man Made global warming is dead on accurate and real.. even if it is(which it probably is part natural and part man made). do you think we live in an open space where we can spue out as much pollutants and Co2 as we want?? Look at L.A. and all the smog? there's some of your proof right there...

Originally posted by Atlantican
The answer is that the waters will never rise even if all the ice on earth melts.
ICE is hardened and EXPANDED water. Melt it and it only takes up roughly the same volume it did but slightly less, canceling the potential of the protruding bodies of ice even.

There's some very simple ways that the earth deals with excess flooding. If you look to the waterless canals / canyons etc. They'll be working systems again. WOOHOO!!!

For those that believe that combustion engines have even a microscopic role in this, I pity how much they've believed other shallow, grant-chasing scientists.

reply to post by Rockpuck

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
see.. that's the thing.. they have RISEN!! approx. 3inches in the past years... Parts of Indonesia, Africa now suffer daily floods along there shores during HighTide b/c the oceans' have risen... this ONLY started occuring in recent times.. maybe past 20 years.. and its a direct result from melting ice coming from glaciers and mountains..

just like in an ice age when the ice melts lands disappear under the water.. many natural geographic structures are now under water since the last ice age when the ice had melted...

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by VIKINGANT

So all this ice melting ... how comes sea levels have not risen?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by herbii

much of the ice IS NOT floating in the oceans.. your comparing ICE in a glass to that of the oceans? That is quite the stretch.. Greenland is ICE on LAND..not the ocean.. with bedrock below..

Correct, but the Greenland ice sheet is not the majority of ice in the Arctic. More ice is indeed floating on the water and thusly will not raise seal level... just like ice cubes in a glass of water.

and the oceans HAVE ALREADY risen approx. 3inches in the past years...

Can I get a source for this info?

and yes, microscopic changes in the atmosphere are devastating to the natural cycle...

A source for this would be nice as well.

.. b/c now, the debate is over.. Man Made global warming is dead on accurate and real..

Are you closing the thread?

The debate is very much alive. Any scientific concept is always subject to debate. I could debate that water is a solid above 0°C (I'd lose of course) if I so chose. It would be up to me to provide evidence of my position, and then up to scientists and thinkers world over to either accept or reject my evidence and hypothesis. In short, once you declare that the debate is over and my theory is a fact, you have violated the sanctity of all scientific research and exposed yourself as presenting an unscientific opinion.

do you think we live in an open space where we can spue out as much pollutants and Co2 as we want?? Look at L.A. and all the smog? there's some of your proof right there...

Proof? Pollution levels are dropping in LA:

Los Angeles ranked as the most polluted city in the nation for all categories in the report, even though LA’s pollution levels have dropped.

(Emphasis mine)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.sciencedaily.com...

While there is no doubt that we cannot simply throw trash into space and watch it disappear, that also implies that all of the carbon present today has been present since prehistoric times. The same goes for the sulfur, the nitrogen in the nitrates, and even water! To date, has anyone tried cleaning the air? If so, they must have not had much success, because I have heard nothing of it. On the other hand, someone has suggested cleaning CO2 from the air, and even introduced a device to do it:

Scientists at Columbia University are developing a carbon dioxide (CO2) scrubber device that removes one ton of CO2 from the air every day.

While some see the scrubber as an efficient and economical way to reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide, many environmentalists are opposing the technology because it allows people to use fossil fuels and emit carbon in the first place.

Source: www.heartland.org...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I covered this on the an ATS thread a while back, which you can find at www.abovetopsecret.com... So if we are not trying to clean the mess, yet are expected to believe the mess in question is going to cause the devastation of the planet, I see a contradiction. I'm sorry if you do not.

I am assuming from your post that you live in the LA area. This may seem hard to believe, but the Southern California area is a tiny minuscule portion of the planet. If you had some spots on your carpet, would you a) clean the spots, or b) demand that everyone in your neighborhood buy spot-resistant carpet?

I'd clean the spots first. But, that's just me...

TheRedneck

[edit on 13-9-2008 by TheRedneck]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join