It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pronunciation - you say tomato, I say toe-ma-toe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Some that just make me laugh all the time is some things my mom pronounces wrong... like she'll say flier instead of flower...and shire instead of shower..lol
theres some more but i cant think of them.. i always get a good laugh though.. haha
Oh, and my grandma says piller instead of pillow.. lol

One that annoys me though is when people say hurrican instead of hurricane..lol.
And when people pronouce again like aGAIN..its sooo annoying!!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Oh, and another one that bugs me is when people say....

am-ba-lance

instead of am-bu-lance .

Rush

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Pronunciation poem

This thread reminded me of the above poem

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Entreri]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i find accents and strange pronounciations to be quite funny and cool.

a kiwi (new zealand) bloke at work was telling a joke, albiet a pretty ordinary one, anyway somewhere in the joke it involved the number 6.

at the end i said "yeah the joke was ok, but if you say sex instead of six a few more times ill probably start laughing"

and my yankee mates who use a heavy RRRR in some of their woRds. i pay em out "aarrrr its talk like a pirrrate day mateys"

and of course i cop a bit of stick back, even do a few cheesy aussie lines like "crikey cobbers!" just to take the piss some more..

aint nothin like talkin smack with your international mates about your quirky accents

[edit on 3/9/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
This isn't really pronunciation but i hate it when people say "AN horrific"

it goes against everything i was ever taught about grammar, it was always "An is for words starting with the Vowels, (A,E,I,O,U) everything else has an 'A' in front of it" The news reporter ALWAYS says AN horrific accident...
:bnghd::bnghd:

[/rant]

Roswell.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
OK people. for the record it Is ARSE. NOT ASS.

There is no BL in chimney. it is NOT Chimbley?
It is Library, not Liberry
and kings and queens live in a Castle pronounced car stle (long a) not ka stle (short a) [I have that fight with the missus all the time!]

and who in the world besides Victorians will AKS a question when in reality they want to ASK a question?!??!?:bnghd:

And dont get me started on cimanen...cinanum...cimi...cin..you know that spice.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I used to, when about three or four years old, pronounce "milk" as "mook"! Only recently when I mentioned this to someone, she done told me that of course, cows MOO so thus you associated the "moo" with milk.

freestone

top topics

<< 1   >>

join