It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pronunciation - you say tomato, I say toe-ma-toe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I know that people have different ways of pronouncing things and maybe both ways are correct, but does anyone else get annoyed when they hear strange pronunciations of certain words?

I know that a lot of people are bothered by 'aunt' - with some people pronouncing it 'ant' and other people 'ah-nt' but that doesn't bug me TOO much.

What pronounciations drive you batty?

Here are a few of my examples:

I prounounce the word 'mature' like this: ma-chur
my husband pronounces it; ma-TWOr (with TWOr sounding line manure)

I pronounce the word "literally" "lit-er-ally"
my husband pronounces it: "lit-TRA-Lee"

Am I the only one that gets irked over pronunciation?

Jemison

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My mother in law pronounces sirens as sy-reens. It bugs the crap out of me!! However, it does make me laugh and other than that shes a great lady

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
My granddad used to pronounce zucchini like it's spelled. Zu-chi-ni, instead of Zu-ki-ni.
My grandmother had a lot of weird pronunciations. It was more her southern accent I think. She pronounced flower, as flair. Drain as dreen. Sheet as sh!t.

I can't think of anymore at the moment, but there were LOTS others.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I live in Redneck Hickville, and although I sound like one, there are people who sound even more like them. Creek is like eek. but they say crick like cricket. They say "I seen a.... FITB."

I say member instead of remember. And hundred sounds like hunard when I say it.
But yes, I hate that too. Especially shed-ule instead of schedule (sked-ule)

One time I really cracked myself up when I heard myself say... "there musta usta been a house there." lol

[edit on 1-9-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Especially shed-ule instead of schedule (sked-ule)

YES!!! That one makes me insane! I think that it's a British pronunciation and frankly, when someone with an English accent says that it doesn't bother me, but when an American says it, it just sounds like they have a stick up their ... well, you know.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I really hate aunt. It's ANT.
I love accents though. Especially the Scottish and Australian ones.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I catch myself using two different pronunciations of pecan.

One is peacan and the other is puhcon.

A lot of folks here use auntie for aunt. Grrrr.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm used to hearing odd pronunciations of words. My mother is full blooded German and learned her English through radio, TV, and shopping trips with my Grandmother. She still has problems with a lot of words. Mostly with the "TH" sound. Like saying "dat" instead of "that". "Where did dat ting go dis time?"

(chuckle)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Originally posted by Jemison

.......I think that it's a British pronunciation and frankly,.......

It's not a British thing, despite the diversity of accents here in the UK, it is definately pronounced 'skedule' here.

The relatively small local area where I lie has a unique pronunciation;
when saying the word 'film' we pronounce it 'FIL-UM'.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The one that irks me the most has got to be when people say liberry instead of Library. Aghh.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I am an aussie, so I say tom-ah-toe. One I laugh at is new zealanders pronounce subaru as soo-BAR-oo, instead of SOOBA-ROO. and I dont know if this is all americans, or just some (not a crit, just an observation) is the pronunciation of Yamaha. Aussie pronounce it yama-ha, (first a as in ram) and I've heard some americans pronounce it yar-ma-ha.

One that really irritates me is Mercedes being pronounced mer-see-deez, instead of mer-say-deez.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Entreri
I am an aussie, so I say tom-ah-toe. One I laugh at is new zealanders pronounce subaru as soo-BAR-oo, instead of SOOBA-ROO. and I dont know if this is all americans, or just some (not a crit, just an observation) is the pronunciation of Yamaha. Aussie pronounce it yama-ha, (first a as in ram) and I've heard some americans pronounce it yar-ma-ha.

One that really irritates me is Mercedes being pronounced mer-see-deez, instead of mer-say-deez.
Most people I know say it Ya' ma ha. Not ram, but ah like in talk. I have never heard anyone here say mer-see-deez. I say ta-may-toe.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
What do you guys think about 'ass' and 'arse'?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Originally posted by Jemison

.......I think that it's a British pronunciation and frankly,.......

It's not a British thing, despite the diversity of accents here in the UK, it is definately pronounced 'skedule' here.

The relatively small local area where I lie has a unique pronunciation;
when saying the word 'film' we pronounce it 'FIL-UM'.

That's like Irish isn't it? Every Irish person I know (2) says "fill'm". It's great, I laugh every time.

Becuase I am from Norway, and Norway having a very vast variety of dialects there's not really any telling if another person is pronouncing a word wrong or not, because based on the dialect the person is speaking it can be completly different from another.

Oh, and its arse.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk
What do you guys think about 'ass' and 'arse'?
Arse is awesome, we are starting to use it. Besides it's a different word and not a pronunciation.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
If someone said fil'em I wouldn't know what they were talking about. I would expect them to finish the word with ent.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I also get annoyed with people that end everything in 'a' rather than 'o'. Rather than avacadO they say avacadA, ColoradO - coloradA, mosquitto, mosquittA (or even worse, miss-key-ter).

"Guitar" pronounced "gEEE-tar' is irksome.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You guys are funny.

The one that drives me up a wall is pronouncing "monster" like "munster". What the heck is that all about? My husband pronounces it "munster" and I don't really know where he got it. He grew up in northern Indiana which is no different than central Indiana or southern Indiana. :bnghd: An yes, he grew up watching "The Munsters" on tv. Hmmmmmm.

And I HATE the word "arse". Don't know why but it bugs me.

Rush

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have been saying library over and over again trying to see if I say it wrong. I DO. I say liberry... sort of.... there is a little bit of r after the b, but not much.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
lol my wife says
toilet

my sister says
kamode

i said kamoliet lol

i think that's how it all starts .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join