It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP holds telethon for Gustav - Good Will Or Political Points?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why is the GOP holding a telethon in place of its convention?

I wonder why it all of a sudden so important to help the people of the gulf cost now?

HURRICANE KATRINA OCCURRED THREE YEARS AGO. THREE YEARS FOLKS!

THERE ARE STILL BLOCKS and BLOCKS OF LEVELED HOMES - FROM THREE YEARS AGO.

The same people that would benefit from this GOP telethon have been living like gypsies hand to mouth for 1102 days.

SO I would like to ask you why is so important to start caring NOW???

WHERE was all this good will, love and concern back then?

The cynical partisan in me views the GOP reactions as an opportunist attempt to to gain BUKU brownie points.

On the other hand it is a nice gesture considering the events of the past 24.

I want to hear what others think?

Bring on the fire

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well you can't tell me with a straight face that they just did this out of the kindness of their hearts, because then one would have to ask where the hell were they for Katrina.

I am pretty sure the Democrats would do the same thing, though. It'd be nice to see both parties coming together for national disasters like this, instead of just one or the other, or in the case of Katrina: none at all.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by davion
Well you can't tell me with a straight face that they just did this out of the kindness of their hearts, because then one would have to ask where the hell were they for Katrina.

I am pretty sure the Democrats would do the same thing, though. It'd be nice to see both parties coming together for national disasters like this, instead of just one or the other, or in the case of Katrina: none at all.

Ya I sort of have both feet on opposite sides of the same line on this one...

Well if there is little damage and the GOP raises big money hopefully they will
give it to the people I have mentioned previously.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Why is it so hard to believe that someone or a group of people can be compassionate? Just because they are Republicans they can't take the high road??? oh no! There must always be an evil motivation? This is silly.

Compassion reigns on both side of the US political spectrum. Shutup and let them open their arms to the needy and hurting people without political molestation.

[edit on 9-1-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Why is it so hard to believe that someone or a group of people can be compassionate? Just because they are Republicans they can't take the high road??? oh no! There must always be an evil motivation? This is silly.

Compassion reigns on both side of the US political spectrum. Shutup and let them open their arms to the needy and hurting people without political molestation.

Yeah, like Katrina.

The government is soooo compassionate. They are only compassionate when it suits them, and that goes for both sides.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by davion]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Why is the GOP holding a telethon in place of its convention?

It's not. It has scaled back it's convention. It hasn't replaced it.

And btw - the dems, headed up by Obama, are also supposedly contacting all their people to donate to the victims of Gustav.

To answer your question - Good will or political points? - I say it's both.
It's both for the republicans AND the dems.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

\

1) Its election year
2) McCain and Bush were celebrating McCains birthday on the days of Katrina,
3) The response from FEMA was unacceptable, Bush could have made an impact but it didnt bother.

Do you want me to go on about the rightwingers "compassion" towards Hillary and her voters?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Let's hope it is good will and that the Democrats would have done the same. And let's hope that no person or convention of people ever get hurt by a hurricane no matter what there political affiliation; and I'll never believe that God would hurt people just to destroy a convention based on his political beliefs... as some have suggested... SHAME ON MICHAEL MOORE for hoping this hurricane would destroy lives' to disrupt the convention; and for suggesting God was finally here and now someone to believe in. How shallow can any human be?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is still interested, I found this floating around:

Politics as usual I guess. And before anyone mentions it, yes, this type of stuff happens with both parties.

top topics

join