It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Reaction to Gov. Palin's Daughter Being Pregnant

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

That's a terrific line for the Dems to use, alright. How many teenage girls become pregnant every year? If this makes Sarah Palin a bad mother, you may as well say that millions of others are bad mothers as well. It happens ALL THE TIME.

Trust me, that is not an argument you want to make against Palin.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
surely it is an issue of concern as to her ability to be a vice president. if she can't keep her daughter on the straight and narrow how in the name of god could she keep the country on the straight and narrow...

So are you implying that in order to be a good leader, one must be in EVERY aspect of our lives and rule with an IRON FIST?

It seems to me that at 17-years of age, her daughter is a free thinker and Gov. Palin would be in the wrong to monitor anyone, including her daughter, that closely. It's not her fault that her daughter is loose.

VOTE OBAMA THOUGH!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What if Palin was the type of ethnic variety that keeps all the relatives together in time of need and economics such as multiple families living in the same house? They might need to put on an addition on the White House. Maybe a few FEMA trailers also?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

i'm not saying she's a bad mother, i'm saying she isn't an exemplary mother. would any of those mothers have wished for their teenage daughters to become pregnant? not likely.

the thing is, the potential president of any country should be the best leader in the country, or second best if they're VP. the question is, where does her 16/17 yo daughter getting pregnant leave her on the scale of best leaders?

It seems to me that at 17-years of age, her daughter is a free thinker and Gov. Palin would be in the wrong to monitor anyone, including her daughter, that closely. It's not her fault that her daughter is loose.

i dunno, maybe, but then again her daughter doesn't seem to have been well enough equipped to deal with a sexual relationship, who besides the parents should be responsible for ensuring she is?

[edit on 1-9-2008 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

It says absolutely nothing about her as a leader. Kids rebel. Kids do stupid things. You can be mother or father of the year and sometimes, kids just screw up. Its just part of it.

BTW, the quote which you've since added is not mine and I find it offensive. I would ask that you attribute it to the actual poster.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

surely it is an issue of concern as to her ability to be a vice president. if she can't keep her daughter on the straight and narrow how in the name of god could she keep the country on the straight and narrow if mccain pops his clogs, which is a reasonable question considering his age.

okay, the daughter shouldn't be bought into it, as such, but surely it raises questions about her performance as a mother. a mother is leader of the household, if she can't lead her household what does it say about her potential as a president.

The Major could say the very same thing about Hillary Clinton, if she couldn't keep "Philandering Bill's" pecker in check, how could she ride herd on the free world? Let's see how long Barack can keep "Soundbite a Second Michelle" quiet. Sure, he has the complicity of the MSM to help muzzle her, but you just know she's itching to speak her mind. What about Joe Biden? Surely between his "engage mouth while brain is in park" mentality and his penchant for using other people's words there could be a little more "adult supervision."

And if "if's and buts were candy and nuts" then the Major would be heading to the dentist and the Major's aunt would be the Major's uncle.

Dismissed.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Major Discrepancy]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
It appears that Obama hasn't taken the advice of his supporters. He made the right decision.

Article

"I have said before and I will repeat again: People's families are off limits," Obama said. "And people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as a governor and/or her potential performance as a vice president. So I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18, and how a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn’t be a topic of our politics."

Well, that is encouraging. Let's hope he and Biden are sincere and do not resort to the back-handed tactics that Kerry/Edwards used with Cheney's daughter.

Both Kerry, Edwards Use Dick Cheney's Lesbian Daughter As A Political Prop

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

hey, i've no axe to grind on the subject, every house has their own issues, i'm just saying that this teenage pregnancy thing isn't irrelevant. it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. it should be considered, or more specifically, her role in the situation should be considered.

does she approve of the pregnancy, did she facilitate it, did she know her daughter was in a sexual relationship, did she approve of the relationship, did she advise her daughter on contraception.

her views and behaviour are very important to a lot of people because they are important views politically, this shouldn't be swept aside as a non issue because it is her daughter that has made the mistake.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I almost had a heart attack when I saw you posted something positive about the democratic nominee... With that said, Palin's daughter's life is her own, and should be kept that way. It would be a shame to see this all over the media. I don't think it's anybodies business but hers. I'm sure Obama will play the cards right.

And about feeling that there's something 'different' about the two candidates, I must admit I've felt that too. But then I go back and look into what their plans for this country will be and I remember that it's all just an act. They're still part of the same team.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrGrieves
With that said, Palin's daughter's life is her own, and should be kept that way. It would be a shame to see this all over the media. I don't think it's anybodies business but hers. I'm sure Obama will play the cards right.

i have serious doubt that this view would be prevalent if there hadn't been the whiff of sleeze attached to her daughters possible previous pregnancy before the announcement that her daughter was pregnant.

presentation is everything, something seems less like a scandal if it is released to quell a scandalous rumour. it also ended up making the opposition look bad!! i have to wonder was palin chosen because her daughter was pregnant, it was announced so quickly, they must have known it wouldn't be the best thing to parade in front of hard line conservatives before they chose her as VP.

would it be terribly cynical of me to believe that a pregnant teenage daughter was a plus in her favour, with the view of pulling in the liberal women that supported hilary. it's an interesting idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

hey, i've no axe to grind on the subject, every house has their own issues, i'm just saying that this teenage pregnancy thing isn't irrelevant. it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. it should be considered, or more specifically, her role in the situation should be considered.

does she approve of the pregnancy, did she facilitate it, did she know her daughter was in a sexual relationship, did she approve of the relationship, did she advise her daughter on contraception.

This is a family matter and should be afforded the privacy we would all want for our own families. I cannot understand the salacious interest in this matter.

her views and behaviour are very important to a lot of people because they are important views politically, this shouldn't be swept aside as a non issue because it is her daughter that has made the mistake.

Mistake? Not everyone thinks a pregnancy is a mistake.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Mistake? Not everyone thinks a pregnancy is a mistake.
believe me, under almost any circumstance, but defiantly in her circumstance, having a child at 17 is a mistake, you're not old enough to raise the child to the best of your ability and you miss out on the opportunity to experience a lot of the irresponsibility that makes you a well rounded adult. being pregnant that young is a bad decision.

before you give me a hard time, i'm speaking from personal experience here, its just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

believe me, under almost any circumstance, but defiantly in her circumstance, having a child at 17 is a mistake, you're not old enough to raise the child to the best of your ability...

Well, it this case, I think she can raise it well at 17...hell, the kid is going to be born with a silver spoon in it's mouth.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by no name needed

yeah, the child will have all the material wealth they could want but it doesn't mean a whole lot when compared to love, affection and stability. thats what a child really needs, not nice clothes and a good nanny.

not that a 17yo can't provide these things, they can but it is harder to be selfless, affectionate and stable at 17 than it is at 25, generally speaking. it's tougher for the parent and the child.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

not that a 17yo can't provide these things, they can but it is harder to be selfless, affectionate and stable at 17 than it is at 25, generally speaking. it's tougher for the parent and the child.

Thank you for making and conceding to my counterpoint...it saved me a little time.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I agree, it's all about setting examples. The human side of me, however, is wanting everyone to leave the girl alone. Mistakes happen, people pay for them. That doesn't mean we should make her pay more than she has to, just because her mom is running for VP.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

yeah, the child will have all the material wealth they could want but it doesn't mean a whole lot when compared to love, affection and stability. thats what a child really needs, not nice clothes and a good nanny.

None of which has anything at all to do with Sarah Palin's candidacy.

But a child is successfully raised by a loving extended family. And I think this child will have that happiness.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I cannot believe that this non-issue warrants 4 threads. Please focus on things that are really important. There are so many to choose from.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
I cannot believe that this non-issue warrants 4 threads. Please focus on things that are really important. There are so many to choose from.

The morality or lack there of isn't an issue in the family of a potential President of the United States? If you run for a national office, expect
to be scrutinized and have all your skeletons hung out to dry. Obama's
family has been drug thru the mud, analyzed, criticized etc. and now the
crybaby GOP wants "hands off"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What party has touted itself as being the party of "family values?"
and used that mantel for pandering to the Christian right.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

there are a lot of people that feel this "non issue" is important. all you can honestly say is that this is a non issue to you.

anyway, politicians all lie when they're campaigning, this issue offers a glimpse into who the candidate actually is.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join