It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Says U.S. Sent Arms to Georgia With Humanitarian Aid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Russia Says U.S. Sent Arms to Georgia With Humanitarian Aid

www.foxnews.com

Russia warned the West on Monday against supporting Georgia's leadership, suggesting that the United States carried weapons as well as aid to the ex-Soviet republic and calling for an arms embargo until the Georgian government falls.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Russia did say: military aid to Georgia would be seen as an act of war. What fool would risk war to send weapons to tiny little Georgia (a nation that holds no strategic value for the US).

Ah yes. The same band of fools that have been sinking our ship for 8 years. Anybody else in the US hear the fiddles playing as we go down?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on (9/1/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I hope it is true. LONG LIVE FREE GEORGIA!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
How did Russia know this? Are they searching ships now?

If not, then they are making gusses...which is a VERY dangrous thing to do.

However, if they do have proof, then I hope they respond by force.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is the EXACT thing Russia warned against.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I have a silly question. Russia is peacekeeping nation in the region. Now peacekeepers supplying for no charge arms and paying for South Osetian side is OK. Unilateral peacekeepers. happens in that region. OK. But US selling - for money - weapons to Georgia is wrong?
Now i am not been unfair. Georgia is first aggressor. It attacked city on its own territory and killed its civilians. But is there a UN ban to sell weapons to Georgia? Why Russia that invaded and still is in foreign country thinks that it can somehow influence arms sales?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by xbranscombex
This is the EXACT thing Russia warned against.

Exactly..this is an act of war

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
meh, it's just suspicions, on the part of russia, that someone gave georgia weapons components. if they had anything concrete they would have used it by now. it's just sabre rattling, same old same old.

people should really read the full story that has been linked.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Russia says a lot of things.....yet they fail to provide evidence supporting such claims. Until they provide anything.......its just talk.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Man I bet the conversations must suck at times in the international space station lol. I know I would be very uncomfortable.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Rhetoric. So where is the proof? What are the weapons? We need specifics. They cant just say this and then not back it up with anything.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
I have a silly question. Russia is peacekeeping nation in the region. Now peacekeepers supplying for no charge arms and paying for South Osetian side is OK.

When was Russia supplying arms to South Ossetians?

But US selling - for money - weapons to Georgia is wrong?

Georgia had no money to pay for all of the weaponry they received prior to the war (well documented shipments from 2004 to 2008). It has no money to pay for weapons now. Georgian government has been on the verge of bankrupcy for some time now. US gave Georgia money, and then Georgia used that money to buy weapons - at least that's the rumor from the Russian side.

But there is nothing wrong with that. US can send Georgia whatever the heck it wants. But when Saakashvili uses his new toys against civilians or Russian peacekeepers, Georgia and US shouldn't cry that Russia is "invading" Georgia. Georgia got the toys? Fine. If it wants to play with fire, it should take the responsibility for getting burned. Saakashvili has demonstrated that he does not want to take that responsibility.

But is there a UN ban to sell weapons to Georgia?

No. But when Georgia gets itself knee deep in sh*t because of these weapons, it should at least have the decency not to blame Russia for everything. Same goes for the US.

There should be a ban of psychopathic idiot leaders like Saakashvili. That would save the world a ton of frustrations. Sadly the Georgian moron is still in power, still chewing ties.

Why Russia that invaded and still is in foreign country thinks that it can somehow influence arms sales?

Russia has pulled out from undisputed Georgian territory precisely on schedule, as per ceasefire agreement. It is not occupying any foreign country.

And why does US, which has invaded and still is in two foreign countries, think that it can somehow influence arms sales around the world, to nations like Iran, Syria, and North Korea?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mabus325
I hope it is true. LONG LIVE FREE GEORGIA!!!

So you hope that Saakashvili builds up his army once again, so that he can again attack civilians and peacekeepers? So that he can drag Georgia into another pointless war it cannot possibly win? So Georgian soldiers who are not responsible for their moronic leader, will die by the hundreds for a senseless cause? So that tens of thousands of Georgian and Ossetian civilians are forced to flee their homes while being shot at?

And what about Georgia do you find so free? The fact that Saakashvili's thugs come to people's homes before the election, telling them to vote for Saakashvili or be beaten up or worse? The fact that Saakashvili has purged much of his opposition and created a military state in his country? The fact that nothing he does is for the good of Georgia, but for good of whoever gives him orders from half the world away? The very same free Georgia where the press and all communications are controled by the government (including the internet)? That free Georgia where protestors against Saakashvili are beaten by police, and the press is kept away?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Taking into consideration the deceiving way our corrupted government works I will not be surprised that our government instigated or manipulated Georgia to attack their neighbor and also provided them with weapons.

The rumors of the US government involvement was already been debated since day one of the conflict in the region.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I should hope the US will send arms to Georgia. In fact, I'd like to see the US send arms to the Checknyas, and let Russia sweat that for a while. Some Stingers, some good anti-tank weapons, and lots of explosives.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Create some more chaos in their backyard. Best of all? It's manpower efficient with maximum destruction and chaos.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
I should hope the US will send arms to Georgia.

And I should hope that Russia sends arms to Iran, Syria, Venezuela, North Korea, and anyone else deemed to be "evil" enough to warrant a US attack on them. And by arms I mean the kind of arms that can shoot down US bombers and sink US ships in the Gulf. And perhaps a few balistic missiles - you know for self defense.

Ah yes - that would be marvelous wouldn't it?

In fact, I'd like to see the US send arms to the Checknyas, and let Russia sweat that for a while.

Would you like Iran and Syria to send more arms and spare suicide bombers to help the insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan? Russia could throw in some "aid" too. You know - to let US sweat that for a while, if its not sweating enough yet?

Some Stingers, some good anti-tank weapons, and lots of explosives.

Oh yeah - these will work really nice against the US troops in Iraq. Why yes Russia could do that. Try helping out the Chechen rebels, and you might find Russia doing just that.

International politics are a fragile thing. Your ideas would do wonders to make a bad mess into a really bad mess - for everyone.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Pot meet kettle. Whats the US soldier deathcount in Iraq?

Create some more chaos in their backyard. Best of all? It's manpower efficient with maximum destruction and chaos.

Better keep watch on your own backyard while you are busy at making trouble in someone else's.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Doopers post was good for a laugh,no offence but gimme a break Georgia is not Russia's back yard, i'm tired of hearing this,i guess India is Russia's back yard too,or Venezuela
Ukraine anybody?Iran,Syria....
Medvedev was clear when warning the west against any US arms USED against SO or ABK,Russia would retaliate and rightfully so,but it had already been done DURING the conflict.get over it,because it's over.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Id like to point out that the White House announced they would sent military aid to Georgia within days after Russia had agreed to pull back its troops and even agreed to send georgia about 2 billion dollars to rebuild their military. This story really isnt breaking news, hell the US had warships in Georgian ports within a week of two after things started to heat up between the two nations.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
What fool would risk war to send weapons to tiny little Georgia (a nation that holds no strategic value for the US).

You're joking, right? No strategic value?

Georgia borders Russia. There's value right there if the goal is to destabilize and defeat Russia, which would clearly be the case if the United States and NATO are sending weapons to Georgia.

Georgia is a prospective NATO member. If there was no strategic value for the West/NATO, I think everyone will agree that they would not be considered as a prospective NATO member.

Georgia has the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline running through it. The BTC pipeline is a major crude oil pipeline running from the Caspian Sea, which is also a major source of natural gas in addition to oil.

Georgia is a perfect launching pad against Iran. Air bases in Georgia could be used by Israeli and American forces to launch bombing raids on Iran. Combined with forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, Iran could be overwhelmed. In fact, many suspect that the War in South Ossetia was backed by Israel so that Georgia could secure Abkhazia and South Ossetia prior to military action against Iran.

I don't know about you, but I believe Georgia has plenty of strategic value to the United States and the West.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join