It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin announces daughter is pregnant

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

A good authority on the religious conservative reaction would be James Dobson, who has issued a statement on the situation:

Article

Like I said, the religious right is not intolerant. It will rally around those who make the right decisions following an initial event they may not agree with.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by vor78

Win at any cost and destroy anyone for they're own ends
Zindo

Ya has ROVE taken over?

I think you should consider the swiftboat hatchet job (which worked if I do recall).

It is a new era, and I must ask did you condemn this in 2004???

I agree, leave the girl be!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I didn't wanna go there, but here we go...

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
I have said it before and I will continue to say it: Pro-Choice is NOT Pro-Abortion.

In a roundabout way that is true. But, in a more accurate way, pro-choice is pro-abortion.

Every situation is different and the only person who has the right to make decisions of this magnitude is the mother. We should all be free to make decision about our own bodies and health with consultation from a medical professional.

"Our own bodies". Aye, there's the rub.

A fetus is not a mere appendage of a woman's "own" body. Fercryinoutloud, a DNA test will prove that.

Iamcamouflage, I dread changing the subject so please, in a word or less, whatever has convinced you that an abortion is not the taking of a human life?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau

Thanks for fleshing out your one liner by accusing me of being a 'Liberal'...

I will let it slide because I have been very liberal in my frank line of research in regard to an unknown Candidate who seems to have made her political career running on Family Values.

Please, call it as you see it, thats what I did.

I guess you could say I am 'fearful' as well...

But the only fear I have in regard to Palin is that she was a 'maverick' choice, but a pandering one as well. That in his own twisted logic, McCain decided that the same women who respected anti-gun Hillary will have to respect AR-15 toting Sarah. If you don't, she might shoot you....

Would you like to make a wager on that? I'll even give 10 to 1 odds...

More importantly, I am afraid that if McCain were elected, Palin might be thrust into a position that she doesn't seem to be ready for. It is one thing to be mother of 5, soon to be grandmother of one, and Governor of 600,000 people. It is completely different if she were President. The only plus I can see is that perhaps Bristol will be able to wetnurse her own younger brother at 3am, when her own mother had to do her job as Commander in Chief of the Free World...

I have seen nothing Obama has DONE to show that he is ready to be POTUS. At least Palin will be just VP... and based on what she has DONE I am pretty comfortable with that.

So many here at ATS compare her experience with Obama's. Okay, for sake of argument, flip the McCain ticket because of his age.... Obama/Biden or Palin/McCain...
Obama does not have a 5 month old baby to distract him... Does not have a teenage mother as well to distract him.... Or am I not allowed to marginalize McCain like that?

If McCain wasn't just given a perfect bill of health...then maybe

As a State Senator, Obama represented more people from his district, the 13th, than there are people in the State of Alaska. He also taught Constitutional Law for 12 years.

And Alaska is the largest state in the Union with the most coastline and has more resources than any other state. So what...

How many executive decisions has Obama made?

Making executive decisions is the primary duty of the POTUS.

Is it degrading to compare his experience to Palin's as Mother of 5 and small town Mayor? I don't know. But it certainly marginalizes his accomplishments, while trumping up hers.

Of course its not degrading, she is running for the highest office in the land. I think your fishing...

It also allows McCain to stay in the background, to look down her cleavage.
He sure loves beauty queens... Carol,Cindy and now Sarah

I wonder how Cindy really feels about John's pretty new 'soulmate'?
DocMoreau

I have replied to sexest comments directed at me in the past and was labeled as a sexest, now I just ignore them.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Its good to see all these abstinence only programs are working properly. If kids dont know about sex then they wont have it, what a great idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Like I said, the religious right is not intolerant. It will rally around those who make the right decisions following an initial event they may not agree with.

Why would you not just say "the religious right is tolerant."?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by mhc_70

A good authority on the religious conservative reaction would be James Dobson, who has issued a statement on the situation:

Article

I have more than a few adjectives to describe James Dobson, the one you would not find would be "good authority".

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by vor78

Its good to see all these abstinence only programs are working properly. If kids dont know about sex then they wont have it, what a great idea.

Are you implying, because of this story, nobody will ever benefit from being taught abstinence?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The only plus I can see is that perhaps Bristol will be able to wetnurse her own younger brother at 3am, when her own mother had to do her job as Commander in Chief of the Free World...

That is so incredibly sexist and obnoxious I don't even know how to respond. Do you believe that statement or are you trying to be funny?

I am not an Obama fan but I will say that I am impressed with his statement.

I can't help but wonder if Obama had to have a little 'talking to' to Biden and insist that Biden hold his tongue on this issue.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
GOP crybabies!

They have suddenly developed a conscience about the politics of attack and smear.

This is the funniest thing I have heard in awhile!

My first question is did McCain know?? Did he vet this candidate? Wonder what the religous right would think about that? Seriously if McCain knew and offered Palin the position is that a slap in the face for the religous right?

Hey wonder if they will attend the same schools uncle and nephew that is??

Karma is a beautiful thing!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

I guess you said you wouldnt go there and then you did, so in response to: whatever has convinced you that an abortion is not the taking of a human life?

I will start by saying this is not a black and white issue, there is a lot of grey area. Until science can determine when brain function achieves the level of consciousness, this decision should be up to the mother and her medical professional. I'm not a doctor or am I, or anyone, privy to the knowledge as to when life actually starts. We are all free to have our own opinions but until there is science to show when it actually starts, I will have to say its a decision that is not mine.
At the very least the health of the mother should have equal or greater precident over an unborn baby, unless the women decides that her unborn baby will have medical precident over her own.
I feel that women should have that choice, I dont feel that abortion should be the only option nor the best option. But I certainly do not agree that the non-medically trained government should be making decisions on this matter.

Some could argue that life starts when sperm and egg are formed as each holds the keys to life and contain DNA(Mitochondrial DNA and chromosomes) that is slightly different from the parent.(each sperm is slightly different from one another, every egg is slightly different from the last) So to say that life starts at conception because the DNA of dividing cells is different from the parent, one could argue that purposely destroying sperm or an egg is also a form of abortion. Thus leading to discussion on whether or not masturbation should be legal. Or it brings into question whether or not condoms or other forms of birth control should be legal. As you are preventing life from happening.

So to say that life begins at conception because the dividing cells have different DNA from the parent opens the door to outlaw many other things that I think should be the right of the man or women to determine.

You may claim that what I have said is a stretch but I would feel the same way about claiming that dividing cells are life. I dont want to argue with you, we are entitled to have our own opinions on the matter and we have no scientific data to actually prove one way or the other.

Sorry I couldnt provide you with an answer in one sentence. I hope that when I post this the thread is back to the topic but I feel there will be 203 pages above me that are nothing but back and forth on abortion. If any further discussions are needed I suggest we move to another thread.
Regards

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

The reason is because its detractors usually call it 'intolerant'. I am framing the argument using the same wording they do.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
GOP crybabies!

They have suddenly developed a conscience about the politics of attack and smear.

And to think the dems are progressive.

Me too!!!

My first question is did McCain know?? Did he vet this candidate? Wonder what the religous right would think about that? Seriously if McCain knew and offered Palin the position is that a slap in the face for the religous right?

Not sure, but huff po or the d kos should have some thing new and fresh soon.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I guess I can tolerate it then

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I haven't seen any GOP'ers crying ... what did I miss?

And yes, McCain knew of this and didn't feel it was relevant ... apparently, Obama doesn't feel it is relevent either.

You may be disappointed to hear that the Evangelicals aren't crying over this either. They have Palin and her family in their thoughts and prayers.

I kind of chuckle to myself when I hear people mention "Karma" in the context in which you just did.

Don't you realize that Karma has an impact on you as well?

When you go around making fun of people and then claim whatever negative thing that has happened in their lives is a result of 'karma', you are setting YOURSELF up to be Karma-tized.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Liberals are highly prone to this type of "gossip". They live in a fantasy world about whether smoking should be allowed in resteraunts or not. They wonder where Brittany got her shoes.

Alot of what they believe is based on hype and image.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

No not I'm implying, I'm stating (very heavy handedly, I might add), that in general(based on the most current studies) abstinence only programs are less effective at preventing teen pregnancy than sex ed programs that offer education on methods of birth control. Yes teaching abstinence will benefit some but not all will abstain, so for them, educating them in proper birth control methods will be much more effective in preventing teen pregnancy than abstinence and the "pull out" method.

To assume that if you tell teens to abstain that they will no questions asked, is naive. It is human and animal nature to have sex, it is programmed into our DNA. A combination of both abstinence and sex ed, that discusses birth control options is much more effective than abstinence alone. And most abstinence only programs are just that abstinence ONLY, sex education is frowned upon and thus not taught at all. So when a teen or child finds themself in a postion were they are going to have sex they are not educated enough to make a decision to use birth control.

Source

Source

[edit on 1-9-2008 by iamcamouflage]

[edit on 1-9-2008 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
GOP crybabies!

Huh?

I am happy for you. No, really.

My first question is did McCain know??

Answer: Yes.

Did he vet this candidate?

Uh huh.

Wonder what the religous right would think about that? Seriously if McCain knew and offered Palin the position is that a slap in the face for the religous right?

Answer: No. Why would you think that? Have you -- in all your extensive (I presume) study of the Bible -- come across the word "forgiveness"?

As an above poster said: It's not the initial mistake that counts most, it's what she did after that mistake. Do you, Leo Strauss, insist that she abort her pregnancy? And to do what? "Save face"? And, if that's you're advice, why?

Maybe.

Karma is a beautiful thing!

Yes, it is. And, from the looks of it, the little guy or gal is good hands.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

I never said that they did. For my part, I believe that a combination of both is the best solution.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This woman has lots of skeletons in her closet.

Obama has already called for "keeping the kids out of it"...will that be enough with the Moral Evangelicals????? Sure. Why, it happens in their own families, even within their own families.

But stuff is coming out about her (mom) that just keeps rolling out and its not the Dems looking for stuff, Its her own enemies throwing out this stuff for the world. Ha!

BTW, the levees (sp) now have to blow up- Its the only way to quiet down the ugly "rumors"

I love it how the media has dedicated all their time and effort to reporting from 1 inch of water...... Politicizing the Storm of the Century.....

And giving McCain time to strategize his next move...such a painful move...

TALK ABOUT A SHOW!!!! OSCAR WINNER FOR SURE!.

What? Sure i care about all those who were in harms way. I was very glad when they were all made to leave. Its got to be this way just in the event of another catastrophe.
But to stretch this as far as the eye can see, to milk it for all the time it can give McCain, its obviously waaaaay over the top.

The American process is being futzed with over and over again. All for political gain.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join