It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani Women Buried Alive 'for Choosing Husbands'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
"These acts are horrendous and shameful, but what's worse is using them to define all of Islam. Why? Cuz we ought to know better. On the other hand, how come the Saudis...who offer women even less human rights that they had in Iraq under Saddam...are our pals, and get a free pass? Just my two bits (cdn)."

when will women's rights be considered human rights? when we become the top oil producing country. when we are the one and only oil superpower, until then, human rights are weighed on a sliding scale based on money. should we go 100% nuclear? I wish I had the ultimate answer but it all seems to come back to money and power.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Very sad story.

What's up with all these comments generalising against muslims because of this story? this act has nothing to do with Islam, these murderers are another example of dumbasses who are full of ignorance, let's try not to be the same.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by DavidWright

yeah right

Most people will condem all Muslims and blame the Muslims and Islam as a whole

and most people will see its a minority

dont try and come in here and make it like everyone thinks alike

funny how these topics become Islam Vs Christianity all the time

Funny......I dont speak for everyone and I am not making this a big Holy war.....being as I am not religious.

I speak in general terms of how a religion is perceived in general form through the media and forums.

Islam gets more of a pass than the Catholic religion. Its a fact. It's a big deal in the world to question Islam as everyone gets scared to death (no pun intended) of angering a whole religion.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I dont get scared to death of anyone for anything. Maybe your just a big scaredy cat eh?

I have definetly not seen Islam getting a free pass over Catholics. I dont ever hear the media chastising the Catholic religion as a whole, they just prefer to persecute the pedophile priests. I think anyone pedophile is well deserved to be persecuted and prosecuted would not you agree? Especially since many of these crimes are comitted in the land where we have jurisdiction to prosecute.

We will have that jurisdiction in Pakistan in about 3-5 years so just be patient.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nobody is threatening to kill the people speaking out against Guantanamo Bay, putting a price on their head, like Iran did on the author of a book, and on the cartoons published in Denmark.

If you think white people are the most violent people in history, you are completely ignorant, and most likely a racist as well.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWright

Muslims cant evolve because of their religious beliefs and are barbarians plain and simple.
Message to all Muslims.....outgrow the things in your religion that need outgrowing and truly be the religion of peace that most of you defend it is.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by DavidWright]

Brutalizing women and honor killings is not part of Islamic law or the Quran - its part of tribal tradition...Tribal practices predate Islam in these countries and simply carried over when the population embraced Islam...you'll find many many Muslims who are as outraged as you by these crimes - study some history...deny ignorance....

[edit on 2-9-2008 by realshanti]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

Unfortunately, there are many, many Muslims who approve of these types of honor killings, and they are being practiced in Europe, and N. America as well as throughout most Muslim nations.

It seems to be clear that not all Muslims have the same beliefs, just as not all Christians hold the same beliefs. I can identify will the person claiming that the Catholic Church does not really represent Christ. That has been my feeling for a long time now.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Unfortunately, there are many, many Muslims who approve of these types of honor killings, and they are being practiced in Europe, and N. America as well as throughout most Muslim nations.

It seems to be clear that not all Muslims have the same beliefs, just as not all Christians hold the same beliefs. I can identify will the person claiming that the Catholic Church does not really represent Christ. That has been my feeling for a long time now.

Well I have to agree with you about "church" in general not just the Catholic "church"- Ephesians says WE are the church - that is individual believers - and the Bible further points out that G-d does NOT live inside of stone temples but that the temple of the Holy Spirit is in fact our very bodies - so I put zero stock in "sects" and "churches"...I go with the Word because in the end it is not the Pope or Martin Luther or John Wellsley, or Spurgeon or
Billy Graham or E.W. Kenyon who died for me but Yeshua the Christ...

as to whether many many Muslims approve of the barbarous practices mentioned in the OP - I guess that's about as provable as my saying many many don't - but the Muslims I know and (thats many over the years ) do NOT approve -

there is a "spirit" of religious piety loose in the world that comes straight outta hell and not just in the churches, synagogues, and mosques but in the earth as a whole that is insidious and soul killing...Its loose in our culture and it affects believers and non believers alike...we bow to the herd mentality and paint entire groups with one brush and THAT comes straight from the father of lies....

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Can someone give me a ref. from the Qur' an and tell me where it says you must or should bury women alive or stone them to death for such crimes (I don't want a ref. from any hadith or islamic fairytale)?? Oh yeeaahh... thas right... It doesn't say anything like that in the Qur'an. But here we are, yet again. A handful of uneducated villagers living in a 3rd world country do something stupid. What happens then?? "BARBARIC MUSLIMS, BURN THE MUSLIMS THEY DID IT!!"

Muslims this muslims that... tired of this crap. When a Catholic Father sexually harrasses kids we don't say "EVIL CATHOLICS, BURN THE CATHOLICS THEY DID IT". We may point the finger at that one single man, but not the whole religion and race... I doubt it says anywhere in the bible to consume alcohol and commit adultry before marriage. A young gang member in LA decides to go on a killing spree with his buddies (happens to be a group of christian kids). Does that make them christians?? Does the Bible teach this kind of nonsense?? Don't think so. I can go on with examples...

Look, my point is. Before you go flaming at the RELIGION, read and learn about the religion instead of assuming and accussing a whole bunch of bull.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

Pakistani Women Buried Alive 'for Choosing Husbands'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Israr Ullah Zehri, who represents Baluchistan province, told a stunned parliament that northwestern tribesman had done nothing wrong in first shooting the women and then dumping them in a ditch.

"These are centuries-old traditions, and I will continue to defend them," he said.

"Only those who indulge in immoral acts should be afraid."

The women, three of whom were teenagers and whose "crime" was that they wished to choose who to marry, were still breathing as mud and stones were shovelled over their bodies, according to Human Rights Watch
(visit the link for the full news article)

Yep everyone is blaming Islam for it lol, how typical. Can anyone tell me how in any way this is related to Islam? It clearly said tradition, it's the tradition of that area hence culture. You can't blame democracy for the cultures of different people hence gheto. People get killed in those areas of America for no reason, that is worst than 1 reason
lol this is wierd comparing the two because it debunks most of these posters, yet they will always manage to keep coming back.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

That is a very good reply. I concur, the problem is the extremists all too often get to dominate the dialogue.

I think most people see that not all Muslims support this type of crime, but too many Muslims are willing to look the other way. These abuses of women in Muslim countries occur far too often.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lookdeeper

When a Catholic priest molests a child, the people of the Catholic faith speak out and protest such actions, the law steps in an punishes the priest who is a criminal.

Did you bother to read the story line?

Israr Ullah Zehri, who represents Baluchistan province, told a stunned parliament that northwestern tribesman had done nothing wrong in first shooting the women and then dumping them in a ditch.

The freakin political leader supports this murderous act.

If this was the U.S., or any other western nations, the people responsible would be rounded up and locked away in jail, hopefully for the rest of their lives. In Muslim countries when these honor killings are acted out, the authorities, and the population in general look the other way. This is not acceptable.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Honor killings are common in Muslim nations, and when they develop populations in other nations like Europe, they bring the practie with them.

How are we supposed to tell the difference between the moderates and the barbarians who arrive on our midst. Honor killings are occuring at increasing rates in Europe, and they are being carried out by Muslims. Denying that this is a problem in the Muslim community is burying your head in the sand.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Well, we will be in Pakistan in full force by about 2011-2013, so we should have some say in it and able to bring justice soon enough. Now that we have mostly pacified Iraq, we have the fuel to sustain the next wave of human rights liberation in a new land.

Maybe I will finally be eligible to join the army in time for it.

Pakistan is not a country that US can plow over like it did in Iraq and Afghanistan.It has over 100 nuclear warheads that are up and ready to go.If even one of these meet their targets,it will be basically be RIP US troops in that part of the world.

You don't wana join the army if you're gona be up in smokes before you meet you're enemy.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Ownification

Honor killings are common in Muslim nations, and when they develop populations in other nations like Europe, they bring the practie with them.

How are we supposed to tell the difference between the moderates and the barbarians who arrive on our midst. Honor killings are occuring at increasing rates in Europe, and they are being carried out by Muslims. Denying that this is a problem in the Muslim community is burying your head in the sand.

This is the view of Islamic scholars on this issue.

Focusing more on your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“There is no such concept in Islam that is called “honor killing”. Islam holds every soul in high esteem and does not allow any transgression upon it. It does not allow people to take the law in their own hands and administer justice, because doing so will be leading to chaos and lawlessness. Therefore, based on this, Islam does not permit such killings.

First of all, in order to sanction killing, it must be through a binding verdict issued by an authoritative law court. Individuals themselves have no authority either to judge cases or pass judgments. Therefore, a Muslim should not sanction such killing because doing so will be leading to the rule of the law of the jungle. A civilized society cannot be run by such laws.”

Shedding more light on it, Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr, former head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee, states:

“Like all other religions, Islam strictly prohibits murder and killing without legal justification. Allah, Most High, says, “Whoso slayeth a believer of set purpose, his reward is Hell for ever. Allah is wroth against him and He hath cursed him and prepared for him an awful doom.” (An-Nisa’: 93)

The so-called “honor killing” is based on ignorance and disregard of morals and laws, which cannot be abolished except by disciplinary punishments.

It goes without saying that people are not entitled to take the law in their own hands, for it’s the responsibility of the Muslim State and its concerned bodies to maintain peace, security, etc., and to prevent chaos and disorder from creeping into the Muslim society.”

Moreover, the eminent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Muhammad Al-Hanooti, member of the North American Fiqh Council, adds:

“In Islam, there is no place for unjustifiable killing. Even in case of capital punishment, only the government can apply the law through the judicial procedures. No one has the authority to execute the law other than the officers who are in charge.

Honor killing could be a wrong cultural tradition. It is unjust and inhumane action. The murderer of that type deserves punishment.”

Link

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

the report is written by a western propaganda outlet , particularly this one, which had a history of being racist against indians and africans and muslims during the british raj ....

so the report is BS and trying to create anti-muslim sentiment
so the newspaper telegraph is highly russophobic and is following the Western propaganda line

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Attari

I have to say that it is encouraging to read this. Although, the last line really leaves the question open.

"Honor killing could be a wrong cultural tradition. It is unjust and inhumane action. The murderer of that type deserves punishment.”

COULD BE A WRONG CULTURAL TRADITION???????

MOST CERTAINLY IT IS A HORRIBLE CULTURAL TRADITION.

The punishment should fit the crime. Murder is murder.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Well, at the end of the article, this additional information on the efforts to bring these murderers to justice were reported.

Mr Zehri told parliament that a fuss should not be made over the killings, however several politicians stood up in protest, describing the so-called honour killings as "barbaric".

Human Rights Watch described the murders as a "heinous criminal offence".

The Pakistani Daily News condemned the killings and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"Surely the government should be seeking the murderers, not protect (them) through some dark conspiracy of silence. The fact the act was 'kept quiet' means the government sympathises with such doings," an editorial said.

Hopefully the government does the right thing and investigates, and deals with these criminal appropriately if this story is true.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by TheRedneck

wow
i havent called for the deaths of anyone yet
nor have my friends,

i must be slacking behind in calling for the deaths of you guys for condeming my faith based on nutcases?

i also have athiest friends who will say what they feel about my faith and others, and funny enough
i respect it as its their opinion

[edit on 1-9-2008 by bodrul]

It's very easy to make statements like yours when you are sat in your nice house in England, because you don't have to live in a backwards, theocratic nightmare.

Did your family originate in England? I'm going to assume they did not. Therefore, you can say thanks to the UK for the fact you get your rights protected by British law, rather than trampled over by laws of the Sharia variety.

Whether you like it or not, whether you accept it or not, your religion is a major problem for the countries that it dominates, and the people who are trapped under the curse of Islam simply don't know how to escape, after centuries of indoctrination.

So, while you drink your tea and look over the glorious green lands of my ancestral home, just consider how lucky you are that you aren't a woman in Pakistan under your much-defended "religion of peace", and how there are places on this earth that will tolerate people like you who defend the barbaric actions of people like them.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Everytime I read something like this it makes my blood boil, I actually feel such rage I just want to rip those responsible into shreds. Religons are just brilliant are'nt they! I dont care about this religon or that or the bloody fighting over it. Your religon should be your conscience nothing more nothing less. Its the 21th century! people should be evolved past their Religons at this stage and should know that their consience is their church. Religon, every single damn one of them make me sick to my stomach, people are so stupid and easy to manipulate and thats the only reason religons are still around as powerful as ever. Try going to conscience church, at least there women dont get stoned to death for been raped, young boys dont get molested, woman dont get buried alive for wanting a choice, wars are'nt fought over it, sectarianism is non existant- I could continue only i'd be here for the next week. Does this make sense to anyone?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join