It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of the world due in nine days!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

End of the world due in nine days!

www.thesun.co.uk

SCIENTISTS are trying to stop the most powerful experiment ever – saying the black holes it will create could destroy the world.
Dubbed by some the Doomsday test, it will be carried out next week in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), located 300ft underground near the French-Swiss border.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I think people need start taking notice when intelligent folk who understand the ramifications of the LHC start questioning it's deadly potential.

I think we need to start making a noise to get the experiment stopped and triple checked before something bad happens!

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/9/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think a higher power will intervene before we are allowed to destroy the planet.

Look to the skies a day prior!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
[quote=skibtz]I think people need start taking notice when intelligent folk who understand ramifications of the LHC.

...do what?

You think people who get their opinions in the sun are intelligent?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

He said: “It is quite plausible that these little black holes will survive and will grow and eat the planet from the inside out.”

Wow, if that happens we are done!

Or are we?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
[quote=skibtz]I think people need start taking notice when intelligent folk who understand ramifications of the LHC.

...do what?

Protest. Action. Anything. I dont have all the answers but I am prepared to take part in action to stop the LHC going live until we know, 100%, that it is safe.

Visitors to ATS coming across comments like this may well be of the same opinion!

The intelligence of The Sun readership is irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The Earth will not "end" in 9 days.

Mark my words.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
hopefully the sun is right

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
dp!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Lol. I was going to pay some bills and sort my credit card out but I will put that on ice

The main concern is that the scientists are expecting to see some particles that should occur such as the Higgs boson.

Now there will inevitably be the random event that they will not be expecting.

A black hole, should it occur, could quite possibly - regardless of how small that possibility is - grow rather than collapse.

It doesnt matter how small the chance is. I am not prepared to take that chance. I havent been asked if I would like to take that chance.

Scientists have a new toy and they are going to play with it regardless of what the people think.

A part of me wonders if this is more about a scientist's ego rather than science to serve and protect humanity.

Still, we can hardly say I told you so, should the muck hit the fan!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

I do have some worries about the whole LHC thing but I thought it wasn't gonna run on its intended capacity till like 2010 or something. So I wouldn't panic YET ;p

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Im interested in this experiment and dont believe it will cause the end of the world - it seems that is more of a fearful/paranoid standpoint. Could be wrong...we will see in a few days.

Seriously, instead of worrying about this project, people should be learning to chill and stop threatening each other with nuclear bombs... (i.e., Russia, Israel, etc.,)

Stopping silly bullies from threatening and potentially using such nuclear devices seems like a more worthy petition wouldnt you think?

Or as I mentioned in another thread about the same topic - stick the warmongering folks in the collider when it is turned on and let them be the first to get sucked into the black hole.

Peace

dAlen

note: no silly politicians were hurt in the writing of this post.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
The Earth will not "end" in 9 days.

Mark my words.

Hum.. How exactily are we supposed to "Mark" your words? Oh wait..i know.. Print out the page then mark the words.

How exactly would you like your words marked sir?
(Btw.. I agree with you)

"End of the world due in nine days!"

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz
A black hole, should it occur, could quite possibly - regardless of how small that possibility is - grow rather than collapse.

Your TV, could quite possibly, spontaneously explode due to a power surge.
Your microwave, could quite possible, spontaneously explode due to a malfunction.
That random car on the street, could quite possibly, spontaneously run you over.

Regardless of how small the possibility is.

Really at least if this DOES go wrong, they leave no man behind.

People seem to be stuck in a Final Destination mentality, where everything is out to kill you.

[edit on 1/9/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

...do what?

Protest. Action. Anything. I dont have all the answers but I am prepared to take part in action to stop the LHC going live until we know, 100%, that it is safe.

Well, your original sentence truncates without explanation.

"I think people need to start taking notice when intelligent folk who understand the ramifications of the LHC" should really not be ended with a full-stop.

And if you are scared, run through the streets protesting and doing "action" all your want, but it won't change the fact you don't know what you're on about.

I was given an example of what we are looking at by THE SCIENTISTS PERFORMING THE EXPERIMENT.

Listen, and consider: The likelyhood of CERN blowing up the planet is the same likelyhood as you turning on your living room lights and your house blowing up.

Visitors to ATS coming across comments like this may well be of the same opinion!

The intelligence of The Sun readership is irrelevant.

As is clearly your own, as I was referring to the Sun's authorship.

That's two misleading remarks regarding my post in one, sonny, don't go trying to impune my IQ because I disparaged the Sun.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Ok...
You guys can't be serious, IT'S THE SUN, it's one of those bs newspapers, you're suppose to read it for entertainment.

See here, I've just wasted time and energy writing a reply to this nonsense.

-Jimmy

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What many fail to understand is this.
The so called scientists who are lobbying against it, are affiliated with religious groups.
They don't truly believe it will end the world or create longer living black holes because it simply cannot.
They are lobbying against it purely because they believe looking for the "god" particle is bad.
And finding out more about the origins of the universe contradicts more of the religious rhetoric dribble they try and force down peoples throats.
Its about control, they fear many will cease allowing them to control them after more real facts are discovered.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
1999. Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) would destroy the Earth. I'm positive I don't have to tell you this but it didn't happen.

So they really don't have much credit to prove their claims. I'm not saying they're liars, it's just that when someone fails miserably making THE SAME CLAIM that you're making now, you have to come up with something way better if you want people to believe in you.

Check this out: RHIC in the news again: Washington Post and ABCNEWS

[edit on 1-9-2008 by seb2882]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.BenjaminWell, your original sentence truncates without explanation.

Sorted. Thanks for that

Listen, and consider: The likelyhood of CERN blowing up the planet is the same likelyhood as you turning on your living room lights and your house blowing up.

You clearly "dont know what you are about".

A black hole would consume no blow up the planet.

As is clearly your own, as I was referring to the Sun's authorship.

That's two misleading remarks regarding my post in one

One actually.

And justified because:

"You think people who get their opinions in the sun are intelligent? "

That can be read 2 ways as far as I am concerned.

dont go trying to impune my IQ

WTF does that mean?

Just because something appears in The Sun does not mean that it is horse crap. Most of it. But certainly not all of it.

And dont worry about your IQ. I am sure it is absolutely fine.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There is a pre-existing thread on this subject here.

Please continue the discussion at the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join