It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

quantum physics says reality only exsists in the past

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Given the discussion here, it should not be surprising that the human brain has functions which are predictive. Flys have a capacity for predictive reactions.

If our consciousness is perpetually locked in the past, a predictive capacity is the most significant skill a creature could posess for purposes of competative advantage.

In neural networks, pattern recognition is everything.

There is an old saying in the field, Input overload equals pattern recognition response. For a predictive circuit to be useful it does not need to be metaphysical, It merely needs to be anticipatory.

Neural networks can learn to recognize patterns which are not comprehensible to human reasoning. So would you expect less from your own brain?

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Quantum physics is the biggest quackery out there. Wave particle duality? Spooky action at a distance? Heisenberg uncertainty? How can anyone take a whole field of science seriously based on a fundamental paradigm of not knowing EVER the exact position and momentum of a particle. It is full of so many contradictions, which are ignored when convenient; it reminds me a lot of economics in a sense. It's so fundamentally flawed from some of its most basic premises that it's painful to read some of the stuff that physicists think up to try and rationalize what are often times very untenable basic assumptions.
If any of you out there want to read up on some very interesting and USEFUL advances in the field of physics rooted in reality read up on Randell Mills theories. He has explanations for wave-particle duality, quantum tunneling, GRAVITY, and essentially everything else that are a result of his studies at MIT after having graduating summa cum laude from Harvard medical school. It all stems from the idea he postulated of the electron as an orbitsphere rather than a probability cloud. Read with an open mind and prepare for a interesting future!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

I wrote this a while back. Think it is apt here:

Time is an eternal moment of now
Albert Einstein has been credited with the above statement.

What he meant by it is that there is no past. Only the traces of it which are left in your brain. There is no future. Only a concept of what the future might be based on past experiences.

That's not what he meant.

To understand what he did mean, think about space.

There is a place you are: a point in space. Call it Here. You cannot experience the world as it must be from any other point in space; you only know what it's like Here. You cannot know (except by report) what it's like over There.

And Here moves with you. You live, so to speak, in an eternal point of Here.

It's the same with time. The past exists, back Then.

And the future exists too. You haven't reached it yet, but it's there.

But you move through time in your eternal moment of Now, knowing nothing (except from memory) of Then and nothing (except by extrapolation) of To Be.

Spacetime is a landscape with four dimensions, one of which is time. Everything in the universe is laid out along those four dimensions. Dimensions don't appear and disappear; they are eternal. And so is the universe that exists in them.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
reply to post by Cyberbian

I have often thought that it would be impossible to travel forward in time, i.e. travel in to the future and only possible to travel back in time because the future has not happened yet.

What I always found interesting about this notion is this:

If it's impossible to travel forward in time, then it should also be impossible to travel backward in time because if you were to travel backward in time, you would enter into a place where the future you came from doesn't exist yet. And if the "future" that you're travelling back from doesn't exist yet, then you can't be travelling backward in time from it.

So essentially, travelling backward in time should undo all reality from your current position in time forward, if it's not possible to also travel forward in time. If this is the case and we do discover backward time travel, we could rewrite history, or perhaps even undo mankind as a whole.

ie: someone from our "future" traves back to this time, making this the new most forward place in time. Then we harness this time travel technology, and travel further back into time, and the process repeats itself. This is of course if reverse time travel doesn't just disassemble the time machine and cause the time traveller to regress to infant/embryonic states.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whiterabbit85

Maybe, but the future you are traveling from does exist because you are coming from it.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

The shortest man made event is a 50 (ish) femtosecond laser pulse. It is also the shortest possible timespan to make observation in (yet). I know this, for if it wasn't I wouldn't have my PhD Research...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I've often wondered this.

If everything is either a wave or a particle and only a particle when it is observed, does this mean in the nanoseconds before it's registered it still has potential?

I was pondering this last night...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join