It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Spirit's Panoramic Camera Spots UFO On Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
NASA scientists have said that the Mars Rover, Spirit has spotted a UFO streaking across the Martian sky. Currently they are not sure what the object was, although they do have some theories.

washingtontimes.com
NASA scientists said Thursday the Spirit rover on Mars apparently has spotted an unidentified flying object streaking across the planet's sky.

The sighting was an accident. Spirit was photographing the Martian sky with its panoramic camera when one of the images it sent back to Earth contained a streak -- the brightest object in the sky at the time.

Yes! NASA has officially admitted to the sighting of an unidentified flying object on Mars. Although their current hypothesis is that it was the Viking 2 orbiter or a meteor, they admit that they are uncertain as to what it was. The odds of capturing this photograph are enormous. Spirit rarely raises its camera to look up skyward. It is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Just like taking a UFO photo on Earth, except on Mars, there are no weather balloons.

Additional Sources:
NASA
BBC

Related ATS Discussion:
Streaks in martian sky?

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by dbates]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If it is Viking 2, they can figure that out. If it is a meteor, they should be able to discern that by estimating the velocity by analyzing the image.

Interesting...

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As a skeptic would say, it could be a metorite. Those are extremly difficult to photograph on Earth except durring a shower. Mars being close to the asteroid belt may have many more meteorites hitting the atmosphere than we do. Nothing close to concrete proof of the extraordinary, yet interesting nontheless

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What are the odds of that happening? We have this rover on Mars and it just happens to look up at the perfect time to see a UFO, Meteor, whatever. I would like to see the Las Vegas odds.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Interesting...

THe odds of this happenning are really low. They said Spirit rarely raises its camera to look up skyward.

Is that a trick to attrack more attention into space exploration ? I don't think so. It wouldn't really benefits them anyway, IMO.

There could be onto something there.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Seems like I recall a post here on ATS regarding this image a couple of weeks before the BBC got ahold of the story.

Anybody recall that ATS thread?

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Anybody recall that ATS thread?

I remember reading that thread. Cutwolf created the thread on 3/11/04.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join