It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of dog is this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
We found a dear little puppy in the woods today. She has been in the woods a little bit, so my mom was trying to leave a food trail for her to find the bowl outside our house. She managed to corner the pup today and fish her out of the ditch. I held her swaddled in a towel until she calmed down, rocking her in the rocking chair on the porch. My mom thinks she looks like an Australian Shepherd, but the pics online are not very close. Her markings are interesting. I've seen her mother who is a very small dog who runs with a pack. Does anyone know what breed(s) She may be?

Sorry the pick is through the kennel cage door. I didnt want to open it and scare her even more. SHe has food, water, and shelter now, though, and I have named her DeeDee.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I can't tell you what kind of dog she is, but she sure is a cutie! Thanks for saving her. She'll have a much better life with you rather than roaming the woods in a pack. Maybe someone else can help you identify what breed(s) she is.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Definately a little aussie sheppard pooch.

And yes, they are "cute" aren't they?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yay Shugo- thanks for posting. My mom was thinking the same thing so that doesnt surprise me.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Australian Shepherds can have very different marking but most have some very distinctive features like yours has.

Google image link:
images.google.ca...

Example......

They are extremely intelligent dogs and loyal companions. I think you found a real winner there that will bring you many years of enjoyment.

If the pup has been feral I would suggest a vet check for any injury or disease.

[edit on 31/8/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
She's so adorable!
I was thinking Australian blue healer. Is there a difference between a blue healer and a shepherd?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
A friend of mine had a similar one. in fact pretty much the same markings. it was (as she called it) and Australian cattle Dog. She called the dog "bluey" because of her blueish color. may she bring you lots of happiness.

Edited to add:

upon further looking it seems that I have to agree that you may have a Australian Shepard after all.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Deson]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses so far. We are definately taking her to the vet. I named her after a dog I had years ago who had similar markings. THe vet never mentioned the Aussie breeds when i had that dog. I loved her very much. I know the new DD probably feels safer than she has in the few months she has been alive. She has eaten her food and is sleeping in her kennel very soundly.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silverking

blue heeler (cattle dog) - they usually grow up to be about 90% the size of your average labrador. (mid size dog)

blue heelers are EXTREMELY active and smart, always needing a huge amount of daily excersize and mental stimulation or they tear apart your garden beds.

the "aussie shepherd" is a different breed, originated in USA and is not actually an Aussie breed (got its name from aussie cattle herders going to usa)

i *think* the once pictured by teh OP has a coat called "Blue merle"

[edit on 1/9/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Here is how she looked this morning. After a good night's sleep and a couple of real meals she calmed down and didnt mind me holding her at all. She needs a bath. I pulled 5 ticks from her already. SHe fell asleep against my chest, so she must feel pretty safe now.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
Here is how she looked this morning. After a good night's sleep and a couple of real meals she calmed down and didnt mind me holding her at all. She needs a bath. I pulled 5 ticks from her already. SHe fell asleep against my chest, so she must feel pretty safe now.

Glad to see she's doing well

Keep us posted on hows she's doing

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well I have had her for close to a week now, and she is doing so well. She uses her paper in the house like a good girl and is looking a lot healthier. One of my cats wanted to clean her up like a mommy. This same cat likes to clean the guinea pig too. Heres a pic from today.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Is this the lil pup you were talking about Rav? It is adorable. I think what you and your family does with displaced or unfortunate animals should be an example to everyone. I am an animal lover and I applaud your efforts. That pup is definately a Aussie Shepard (or blue) mix, you'll be able to tell more when they grow.

A year ago, I rescued a Rott/Pitbull mix . She was in the sump pump, or well, in this basement.. just treading water of a abandoned house I was renovating. It was abandoned for quite some time I believe.

The back door was kicked in and the mother of these pups must have had them in that basement. Lord knows how long the poor little thing was in there, she was exhausted and malnourished, but still alive. She fit in one of my hands. What a little trooper, I could not believe it. I took her home and raised her with my three children and she was beautiful!

Here she was a 4 months:

And here at 13 months with my kids:

She turned out to be a wonderful dog. So rescuing animals is near and dear to my heart and I give you a standing-O my dear.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

I love that you took her in.. She looks like she is THRIVING in your home.Glad the other animals are taking to her as well. God bless you and your mom for being such sweet souls. I admire you immensely.

Alter-ego.. i tip my hat to you as well. What a wonderful story of rescuing your dog.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I want more pictures...

That is such a pretty pup, and I think she may amaze you at how fast she learns.
I expect a little photo diary posted in this thread so we can watch her grow.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Beautiful baby! Congrats on rescuing her!

I think she looks an awful lot like a Catahoula.

Catahoula

There is a lot of variation in that breed, as you can see from all of the different puppies in the litters on this breeder's site:

Puppies

For those who are not familiar with the breed, it is the official state dog of Louisiana, where I live. Its official name is the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, and some sources state that it is believed to be the dog that has occupied North America the longest. The breed gets its name from Catahoula Parish in North Louisiana. Sorry, I am a trivia nerd and a dog lover!

Keep those adorable pics coming, please!

[edit on 2-10-2008 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell

I forgot to add that I absolutely LOVE that beautiful puppy smile!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad

I think she looks an awful lot like a Catahoula.

I think the nasal bridge just below the eyes is the tell.
The dog raven bombshell posted has the narrow bony bridge associated with collies, shepherds, etc.....

I think the catahoula looks to have a wider nose bridge, and I did look through a lot of pictures to make the comparison.

In the end it won't matter.
Whatever breeding the little bitch came from, she's a keeper.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Well, thanks for the wonderful replies.

Alter-Ego- your little girl is beautiful, and I am always happy to hear stories of great animal rescues.

Hynotoad, her coat does resemble a Catahoula, it really struck me when i saw the pictures in the links you posted. Thank you very much.

Since it has been a month, I'd just like to let everyone know Deedee is three times her size now and is a healthy playful pup. She has the most adorable play growl. She adores my daughter , who is nine. Dee likes to rest her head on my girl's lap or on her arm while she is reading out loud. That is the cutest thing. I treated her worms and mange, so her hair has grown back in already, and she has put on size and weight. In the beginning she had problems with her front legs- the joints seemed to be sliding to the side ans she was limping. I was giving her some baby aspirin for the pain but I was worried the feet would be a real problem. Then a growth spurt hit and that straightened her joints out as the legs got a little more length.

She is a smart little thing. I didn't have to train her to use the papers inside. She just did it from the first day she came in. I've never had a dog paper train that easily. She knew her name within a week, too.

I thought I'd update you all with some photos too!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I wanted to add this photo too- Dee was a little mangy still here, but it still is a cute photo. My cat Dixie was in a motherly mood.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join