It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation Techniques and Christianity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your comments and direction....I think I'll be staying away from the Kundalini meditation and just concentrate on quieting my mind.

I just ordered the following books:

Zen for Christians: A Beginner's Guide (Hardcover)

and

Zen Training: Methods and Philosophy

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There are countless techniques out there, so if one does not feel comfortable for you, move on and perhaps working with light energy and healing resonates in a Christ conscious way for you.

In prayer we speak, in meditation we listen, that is the only difference, and it is no more dangerous to listen to the Lord as it is to speak with him. Some have said, well how do you know if it the devil talking to you? well, when you pray and you ask Jesus into your heart, how do you know that the feeling you get from the Spirit is from him? Same deal, it is just a more receptive way of communicating.

I have studied in debt the cosmic Cobra breath, and it is simply an old tradition, an analogy of the sleeping energy that resides in the base chakra until you begin to move that energy into higher centers until ultimately it merges in the crown chakra and all the divine energy flows freely through the body traveling on the spine.

Infants have this circuit open at all times, the synovial fluid is where energy moves but as we grow up the energy tends to get blocked at certain areas and eventually no longer freely moves .

So get down on the ground like a child and curl your knees up to your chest, begin rocking back and forth on your spine and you will feel the energy begin to flow just like when you were a child.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

One thing I have to say about quieting the mind, it is the single most difficult technique to master. The mind is directly in alignment with the ego, in fact it is ego.

The ego is what controls your mind and on a subconscious level it has man enslaved. The mind does not want to loose its identity, is control over your thoughts and action. The mind is heaven and the mind is hell, when you live consciously you are in heaven when you live unconsciously you are in hell, and each moment you can move from heaven to hell and back again. It is because you are identified with the mind, it controls you.
to even attempt to say you will quiet the mind the mind becomes even more dangerous more cunning. It will stop you from ever achieving your goal. It will placate you and that is the true serpent, it is not some being outside you, no it is your ego and each moment it lulls you into a dream state. It keeps you appeased, satisfied with the known the comfortable.

There are techniques you can use to quiet the mind and help you to become master of your mind. These techniques are not for everyone, they are advanced techniques only for the healthy, the whole man. This is why the ancient texts are protected form the average man, only given to the Kings and the Pharaohs, the wisest. they are dangerous, and as you become the Master, you become even more dangerous to yourself, the parlor tricks, the events which announce your own inner divinity, your skills and powers, they all lead you back to the ego, to the mind trip.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There's a website of mp3 downloads taken from the daily common lectionary. It's put out by the English society of Jesuits. Its called "pray as you go." It consists of a daily reading of one of the gospels, some world music, and some voice overs inviting you to pray about the specific content of Jesus' word, miracle, or parable for the day. The Jesuits have sort of a black eye in England, and so there is nothing on the site or its content that isn't perfectly acceptable to any protestant. (i.e., no "mary worship" or "saint idolatry").

There are a large number of Christian classics on meditation. Let me name a few:

Selected writings from Hildegard of Bingen, 10th cent. abbess and mystic.

"The Cloud of Unknowing" (anonymous, 14th century).

"Spiritual Exercises" of Ignatius of Loyola, 16th cent.
Although he was the founder of the Jesuits, I am not aware of anything that a protestant would have trouble with. Lots of daily guided prayers and guided imagery.

"THe way of Perfection," Sister (St.) Theresa of Avila, 16th century.

"Dark Night of the Soul" St. John of the Cross, Spain, 16th cent.

A number of protestant works exist from the 17th-19th centuries, but the above are considered the classics because they have stood the test of centuries. There's a large body of English and Presbyterian, Mennonite, and Quaker books on this topic as well. Google the movement your interested in along with words like "spiritual" "prayer" or "devotion" and you'll come across dozens of them. I have one called something like "Guide to the soul in search of God," somewhere around here.

But that's enough to begin.

all the best.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

kind of off-topic here, but i don't know how much i can trust the Jesuits anymore... just perform a search right here on ATS for them:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

also, check out this book!
www.amazon.com...

hmmm, very interesting to say the least...

[edit on 1-10-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hi drstr. have not had the pleasure of rubbing elbows with you in far too long. now kind of curious how this turned to the Jesuits (one of my favorite conspiracies)and meditation? Of course they are the ultimate Tantrics...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong; I'm the one who answered last year's ATS thread of "who do you think really runs the world" by answering "The Black Pope; Peter-Hans Kolvenbach." (Though I'm not so sure his successor, Adolfo Nicolas, is of the same mettle).

I think that spiritual people can discern what has value and what does not, beyond criterion of who endorses certain techniques. I would argue that Loyola's techniques are effective because they strike a chord in other sinners---Loyola was a particularly bloodthirsty mercenary who gave up the military life to pursue the exposition of his faith.

I have a small, non-denominational prayer book that has some of the best prayers ever written, all in very plainspoken language, suitable for every day of the month. I'd recommend it except is was printed completely anonymously.

all the best.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Right I have also attempted to see who else here on the boards has put the pieces together as far as world domination, back room ethics and the Jesuits via the Vatican. If you want we can discuss this further.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I am going to bump this thread back out to the forum because I think that it is one of the single most important questions for today's modern Christian and their role in the coming future of the planet.

Let me explain, when I recently went to a UFO conference being a loner of sorts I found myself sitting in a central location listening or eavesdropping on the people at the cocktail gathering afterwards. Now these people were pretty much the cream of the crop and a great example of the fore runners in the UFO field.

What I found most interesting was that each group was at some point discussing their allegiance to their Christian Faith and seemingly looking for validation by others that it was indeed safe and not against any doctrine to look for the truth in the UFO field.

Hugging and connectivity was everywhere and the general atmosphere seemed to relax as people discovered that many other Christians were also on the same path to discovery. I found it most interesting as both Christian and Pagan alike seemed to be able to connect on a higher level which did not appear to judge or mock anyone for their genuine need for answers. Perhaps because of this acceptance Spiritualists and Scientists like found common ground and the overall energy of the party was positive and high energy.

In my younger years seeking the higher power and Church which accepted 'all' beings, all faiths, rather than one denomination which would be the superior religion and the sole chosen of Christ, I was continually let down from the inevitable separation by each one I tried. I have always known in my heart that God or the supreme higher beings have walked with me and that I am loved. I have also found tremendous sadness and grief searching seeking and questing for one faith to become a part of.

Now, standing stronger than ever in my personal connection to the Higher Power, it has occurred to me that what we need is not a new religion but the foundation of a higher way of life in general. Many of you know me here so I will go out on a limb with my greatest hope for humanity as a whole and my vision for a New Man and the direction he will be breaking ground to establish.

As we are in the most critical time in our shared evolution both materially, mentally and physically, I do not see that we have a very good chance of surviving the next 100 years into the future. Our only hope will be if we can learn to become an organic whole with a well balanced understanding of what the higher powers want from us and that we learn to stop trying to destroy this utopia which has been given to us to caretake.

We destroy not only by polluting the land but also by polluting our hearts against each other. God does not differentiate or categorize man by geography or religion, he has strategically placed his strongest and most advanced souls in every walk of life on every patch of land. Until we see this and understand that he chose to place all beings and their differences on this planet together and that it our responsibility to rise up to his challenge, we will have no hope for a Golden Future.

Perhaps, just one step more and we will become a type 1 society. But it will be as a whole not segregated and separated. It is my thoughts on this that lead me on the search for higher planes of existence, to reach for the stars and beyond. If we stop at any level, that level then is susceptible to harm by the lower astrals or levels. Energy rises and so does our consciousness. If we stop and are afraid to trust our connection to the divine and the divine plan, then we become stuck, stagnant. Man was not made to drag himself from cradle to grave, yet this is what he does.

I believe that the advanced beings who monitor this planet are as anxious and hopeful that we can rise to the next level. For every person who dreams of disclosure there are countless higher beings which hold us in their prayers and that are waiting to come and become part of our world, to help clean up the mess we have made just as a mother stands by watching their child making messes as they play.

You may wonder why I have begun to talk about aliens when the subject is meditation and religion. I have seen that it is all connected. And the fear which keeps the Christian ready to rise to the next level of the ultimate plan, is the same energy which keeps us all in fear of our birthrites and our fundamental ability to connect with our higher selves and potentials. Take a look at Angels, they have the ability to speak directly with the source, they like us have the gift which has been given them. Angels need no religion or doctrine, they have risen to the level where they are in communion with the Holiest of Spirit.

Meditation, is not to be feared, looking inside and trusting ones own self and connection to the divine is always the right path.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yeah it's not easy to make floating thoughts and internal dialog fade to black. Twenty years ago I meditated quite often and found it to be as rewarding as it was difficult in the beginning. I never experienced what you describe with the ego, heaven or hell and all the rest but meditation always lowered my blood pressure and made me feel calm and relaxed afterword. That's all I'm really looking for as my spirituality is firmly fixed and I'm not looking for new age thought.

As a Christian the imagery of the Kundalini practice is not something I'm willing to get involved with. We believe the Satan is a negative evil force that deceives and I feel the invitation to some other being (snake...imaginary or not) to enter my body or awaken is a dangerous thing to toy with.

Anyway thanks for all the info and direction you seem really knowledgeable on the subject.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Thanks for your thoughts, KL. It can be kind of tough to post such frank views here sometimes.

I have a book, which of course I cannot find this evening; something like Encyclopedia of Christian Mysticism. One of the fathers of the early church, maybe Anthony, was approached by a young monk who wanted to talk about visions of angels, demons, and the fact that sometimes while in a trance he talked to the dead and saw colors and experienced levitation that onlookers witnessed. The master's reply was along the lines of, "yeah, I know. But if you stay focused on Jesus, all those side effect eventually go away, and you move on toward God." Sort of like all the "special effects" people hope for in their mediation/prayers is actually a distraction from the real goal.

Funny thing was, I remember in Alexandra David-Neel's Magic and Mystery in Tibet that a Lama told her pretty much the same thing.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Thanks Dr..you are always on point and I really enjoy digesting your posts. You and antar are such good sparks of thought.

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
The master's reply was along the lines of, "yeah, I know. But if you stay focused on Jesus, all those side effect eventually go away, and you move on toward God." Sort of like all the "special effects" people hope for in their mediation/prayers is actually a distraction from the real goal.

Who did they think the distracter was/is? The individual or adversary?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

That's a very modern question. We believe in the absolute involubility of our own egos. But think about it this way: You could just as easily ask, who betrayed Jesus---Judas himself, or the devil working through him?

The answer is, that to differentiate between the two is to misunderstand the power and nature of moral evil, a trans-human force that warps individual egos to the detriment of everyone they encounter.

It's like asking about the Fall in the Garden: Did the evil reside within the Serpent, or within the first people, who allowed themselves to be led astray?

Both. Neither. The presence of real moral evil cannot be reduced to simple concepts. That's how it wins, by eluding our grasp.

All the best.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I wrote a thread on this topic. I only got one reply and it was from a spirit medium Necromancer, so just ignore Tyesin (unless you seek to convert him).

www.belowtopsecret.com...

No there are no guided imagery that is Christian. There is no Psychology that is consistant with Christianity. I have had to figure that out, because I was so involved in both.

What is it that you want to get out of these practices? Cannot Jesus Christ provide?

When it talks about meditation in the Bible it means thinking, when eastern philosophy talks of meditation they talk of not thinking.

2Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

If you have a KJV (Texstus Receptus) you have all the instruction you need.

My advice is get hold of a KJV preferably an old one (some of the New ones render "Holy Spirit" as "Holy spirit"). Just immerse yourself and feel the power and victory of Gods word.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Then why are you called "Kinglizard". Why do you have MrMojoRisin which scrabbles to Jim Morrison, who was obsessed with the occult and Alistair Crowley who was a Satanist.

Why do you have imagery of Jesus when the Bible tells us not to create images .

Jesus is not a hippy.

I would like to fellowship with Christians but I'm sorry, alarm bells are going of all over the place in my head.

We have a more sure word of prophecy in the scriptures. I was into all sorts of New Age, stuff ask Jesus Christ to free you from it. Burn anything non-scriptural you have in your home. That is my honest advice.

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

[edit on 4-11-2009 by StopComplaining]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Mat 23:9 And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

The Church has no fathers except for the Father in heaven.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

There is "passage meditation". Pick your favorite verse from the Bible, Koran,Gita or Upanishads et cetera and use it as a mantram as you meditate. Just repeat it verbally or in your head. A good mantram will serve you well throughout the day, whenever stressed.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

This is what the bible would call "vain repititions"

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Think on that for a moment.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by StopComplaining]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join