It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention All ATS Members - Vote for the best worst funniest here on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
On most forums/boards, the software that allows voting is already installed...BUT, from the other forums I have ever been on that allowed voting of any kind, it always, and I mean ALWAYS led to fighting and bad feelings. IMO, this would NOT be a good idea.

Marilyn~

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Marilyn

Well how could it if no one knew who voted for what. Did the other forums allow you to view all the options I have described, such as view all posts, view by best answer rank, view by best answer for or against rank, view by funniest response rank, view sillyest response, view most nonsensical response, view responses by my friends only,view responses by my foes...etc?

By the way, the view responses by my friends/foes would have no rank assigned, just a way to sort them out, and again it would lead to people spending more time checking all the different ways people had responded.

Thank you for your input, it is how intelligent beings arrive at the best answers.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

I think it's love

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
reply to post by TH3ON3

Usually when someone boast how great they are, they are suffering an Inferiority Complex. You obviously are one of these insecure people that needs to reassure yourself of your superiority when the reality is, your subconscious knows you lack the ability to communicate properly.

Hows that for a reply, to your egotistical comments?

I was being nice until you showed that you are a moron in sheep's clothing!

Thank you Thank you Thank you...I was hoping to offend someone so you could see my point. Now if you could view all posts that are the best answer, mine would be the very last...unless of course you wanted to click view most salacious or innappropriate. I meant no offense, I was just hoping to keep the thread alive and hoping someone would take some slight offense, which proves my point...Again Thanks, it was an attempt to prove my point only. handshake

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
reply to post by Marilyn

Well how could it if no one knew who voted for what. Did the other forums allow you to view all the options I have described, such as view all posts, view by best answer rank, view by best answer for or against rank, view by funniest response rank, view sillyest response, view most nonsensical response, view responses by my friends only,view responses by my foes...etc?

By the way, the view responses by my friends/foes would have no rank assigned, just a way to sort them out, and again it would lead to people spending more time checking all the different ways people had responded.

Thank you for your input, it is how intelligent beings arrive at the best answers.

With all the different types of responses you described...sounds like a nightmare...responding to as many posts that are on here on a daily basis...not that someone would have to vote on Everything, just seems like it would cause chaos.

The idea itself is good, just not practical (IMO).

Besides we all already know you think our post/replies stink.

Marilyn~

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Marilyn

No Marilyn no offense intended, that was my third try at getting my idea noticed by editing the title. No one was paying it any attention, so I resorted to cheap tabloid tactics.
I meant no offense really. But you are misunderstanding my idea, you wouldn't have to reply any other way than you normally do. All that would happen is viewers would see little icons across the top of every reply that say best reply for-against-inapproprioate-replies by friends-replies by foes-most confusing response-funniest-view complete unranked thread etc.

The programming would log your vote everytime you liked a particular post and voted by clicking on the appropriate icon. You would be allowed to vote only 1 time for each category. Then all that happens when you go to the thread is pick the favored way to view the replies by clicking on all the different icons. Not comfusing to the programming I promise...now the programmers, well possibly.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hah, I love that little salacious end on my thread title...What say you?..
Knew that would get the angst of a bunch of people. I can't stand that buffoon myself, but his words do draw a crowd even if they are a bit hostile. Really people check my foes...I hardly have any. I'm a lover first and then a fighter second.

PS- I also believe in the axiom-->He who turns and runs away, lives to post another day.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This won't work, because you'll just have friends upvoting each others posts, and downvoting posts from people they don't like.

Look at it like this...I'm not a well known member here, and I submit an interesting news story...

20 minutes later a well known member submits the same story, and gets his upvoted up quickly, and mine all but disappears. Where's the fairness in that other than rewarding someone for being here long enough to make a lot of friends?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Come on people, need some input for the 3 Amigos to see. Good or bad idea, and please explain in case others are more obtuse than you.

Might this also end up humiliating or unnecessarily judging peoples honest feelings and thoughts?

I mean some people have a hard time laughing at themselves.

All I'm saying is.. it could turn into a .. this nut said that.. and it was hilarious.. and perhaps that might not be the type of community activity we want.

Just some thoughts.. I don't mind either way... in fact I think it'd be neat.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy

Come on people, need some input for the 3 Amigos to see. Good or bad idea, and please explain in case others are more obtuse than you.

Might this also end up humiliating or unnecessarily judging peoples honest feelings and thoughts?

Just some thoughts.. I don't mind either way... in fact I think it'd be neat.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't see how it would humiliate, since we only get 1 vote in each category, and no one knows who voted for who. Most would never make a rank, as the public is generally pretty smart on vetting out the votes. And as for sillyest, or funniest post, or troll post or most confused reply, well maybe some would take that as a bad thing, but I think most would take it in stride. This is just like in the real world, nobody is going to agree or disagree with you 100% of the time unless your really out there, and if that be the case oh well.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bunnytoes1973

You notice how the thread title has changed three times and there was no other comment after my last reply, but the moderator made it look like it was something bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

I noticed the changing of the thread title also! Thought you weren't suppose to be able to "EDIT" your posts after 4 hours?

Pops up in my "Subscribed" thread list under different thread titles, so I check it 'cause I don't remember posting in that thread.

Unsubscribing from it now, that'll put an end to that!

[edit on 9/2/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Well if you have a Forum Moderator on your side than he can do it and help make you look good by making others look bad!

[edit on 2-9-2008 by MrMysticism]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think you guys might be a bit paranoid regarding the moderator conspiracy. I have about 5 people I would vote for funniest poster, but there is no way I could narrow anything down to one post without the rest of the thread for context. I think the idea as presented in the OP would be horribly complicated and a source of cry baby contention.

If you think someones extra funny pop them a U2U and let them know. Since we can't reply with a row of
without a comment as would be appropriate after a knee slapper, the next best thing is to U2U. I have discovered one master satirist and and many humorists in advanced training here.

Thank you for cracking me up!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It would be too much work for the system AND it only would encourage group think.

Group think = bad.

I think the stars need to be gotten rid of as well.

That's my 2 bits - if anyone cares.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
When I skim through huge threads I mostly only stop at the posts that have been starred or were made by members I like.

Curious. I pay no respect to member status, points, flags, stars, applause, like, dislike, fancy avatar, etc. I stop at every post and skim it for tone and if it's not just a flaming rant, I'll read it. I wouldn't pay attention to such a rating system as I don't now either. My main criteria to read anything is whether or not the subject matter tends to generate healty responses, even if they're a bit "insane". In that spirit it pretty much means I don't visit political threads.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join