It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economy in Recession? More Liberal Lies?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Mental, see my post above.

Yes, Walmart is Democratic - see Hillary's ties to Walmart. She served on Walmart's board of directors.

Guess what? Michelle Obama has ties to Walmart.

Her position on the board of the company was not without controversy. Many pointed to her role on the board as a direct conflict with her husband's stance against the company Wal-Mart. TreeHouse Foods is one of the main suppliers to Wal-Mart and Senator Obama has come out against Wal-Mart's labor practices in the past.

Source

You guys are so Obama brainwashed. It's rediculous.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by jetxnet]

These meetings, according to employees who have attended them, are heavily slanted in favor of the GOP. Although Walmart executives do not specifically tell these employees to vote Republican, the inference is obvious.

HEAVILY SLANTED IN FAVOR OF THE GOP---

DOES GOP MEAN DEM????

[edit on 1-9-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

The Wall Street Journal reports that Wal-Mart Stores (NYSE: WMT) is warning its store managers against an Obama victory in November. Why? because Wal-Mart executives worry that Obama will boost the power of unions and that unionized Wal-Mart stores will lead to higher worker pay -- and higher prices for Wal-Mart customers.

www.bloggingstocks.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Hey, I don't want to go much further off into never never land with this part of the topic, but have you ever looked at campaign financing by corporations before? I think you will find (or if you have looked through public records of lists then refresh your memory some) that it's quite common practice for companies and industries to donate to both parties and candidates who they feel will win in order to get the paybacks. Bets are hedged in order to maximise the interests of the particular corporation. This is how the game is being played, and it matters little what party or what ideology the candidate is (with some few exceptions). Most liberals would like to see this system changed to get rid of the ligalized bribary and stop the pandering to corporations and restore some power back to "we the people".

It would seem that what you suggest brings us to a delema: Hillary was on the board at Wallyworld. Either Walmart is conservative or liberal. Either Hillary Clinton is a corporatist or a marxist. If Walmart is conservative then Hillary couldn't possibly be a marxist on the board, therefore either walmart is liberal or Hillary is a capitalist. Given the history of the company and this politician I would have to go with Walmart is conservative (leans strong Republican) and that Hillary is a corporatist (some might say neo-liberal, others a centrist ie: DLC).

Anyway, I found the thought of Walmart being liberal, or democratic, quite entertaining, and thought I would share my thoughts on it and the Hillary on the board thing. Oh...side thought. As first lady, and attorny in Arkansas, where Wallyworld's HQ is at, and her being a career woman, it would stand to reason right? Whatever, she sure knows how to give a good speech!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Mental, the facts escape you once again. No surprise there.

Of course Walmart is afraid of Obama because he has spoken out against Walmart, though Walmart has had huge Democratic connections including his own Wife and Hillary Clinton to name a few.

And .. this is how stupid Obama is .. What is making Walmart rich are products made in China!!

Obama supports continued trade with China in spite of the unfair trade practices China has been doing in getting a huge trade surplus from the US.

In other words, Obama supports Chinese trade through Walmart, making Walmart more rich and ... while still doing forced labor in Chinese sweat shops, contrary to what Obama says otherwise.

Yet another example of either Obama lieing to you or not knowing what he is talking about - failing to connect the dots.

A little of both i'm sure.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   

What is the malfunction with you?

We Americans stand divided. Democrat vs. Republican. Red vs. Blue. McCain vs. Obama. Target vs. Wal-Mart.

BIGResearch, a consumer intelligence company, surveyed shoppers at several popular retail stores to find out who they would vote for, if the presidential election were held today.

The results? Wal-Mart, Kohl's and JC Penney shoppers prefer Republican John McCain. Macy's and Target shoppers prefer Democrat Barack Obama.

“Looking at such detail as how specific retailer shoppers are planning to vote in November provides valuable insights into the mood of shoppers/voters,” said Gary Drenik, President of BIGresearch. “By understanding the political preferences of these voter groups, it’s indicative of socio-economic impact on political preferences and indecisions. Perhaps McCain should consider a bus tour through Walmart parking lots and Obama could use Target.”

It is also a favorable place for REDs to shop at!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

He has not spoken out against walmart silly,

He supports unionization, higher taxation on the top 1% and PROMOTES TAX CREDITS FOR COMPANIES THAT DO NOT OUT SOURCE PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS.

SHALL I QUOTE HIS WEBSITE??? OR WILL YOUR HEAD EXPLODE?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

In other words, Obama supports Chinese trade through Walmart, making Walmart more rich and ... while still doing forced labor in Chinese sweat shops, contrary to what Obama says otherwise.

Just what pray tell do you think has been going on following the so called Republican revolution of 1994, and more saliently the last 8 years, 6 of wich were dominated by control of all branches by the GOP?

Consumer side along with trickle down has traditionally been a conservative agenda...history shows that it has been the liberals that support agressively human rights issues and are against sweat shops in favor of unions and regulation to prohibit this sort of thing...getting around the regulations to get cheep products on the shelf is not liberal! Where are you coming up with this stuff????

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

The Wall Street Journal reports that Wal-Mart Stores (NYSE: WMT) is warning its store managers against an Obama victory in November. Why? because Wal-Mart executives worry that Obama will boost the power of unions and that unionized Wal-Mart stores will lead to higher worker pay -- and higher prices for Wal-Mart customers.

Clinton shminton,,, WALMART has always been a conservative outfit. I studied it in economics.

They heavily funded both of BUSH's runs and have most recently been trying to discourage its employee's from voting O.

Because I think they know their parade is up!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Mental, that's why Michelle Obama cut her link to Walmart, because her husband has spoken out against Walmart.

Walmart was fully prepared to vote for Hillary (she served on their board of directors), but Obama screwed her over with the help of his corrupt party and he is bashing Walmart.

The apparent contradiction between Sen Obama's political calculation to join the Wal-Mart-bashing lobby, and his wife's profitable role with a company that makes money from Wal-Mart, is being closely scrutinised by "opposition" research teams working for rival White House candidates, The Sunday Telegraph has learnt.

They are collecting information about Mrs Obama's Treehouse ties, anticipating that - in a country where "going dirty" is a political way of life - the link may provide valuable ammunition in the election campaign.

Such attacks could be particularly damaging for Sen Obama, who has promised a change from politics as usual. Just last week, on her first foray to the crucial first primary state of New Hampshire, Mrs Obama praised her husband's "moral compass", reflecting a key message of his campaign.

Source

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
reply to post by jetxnet

Just what pray tell do you think has been going on following the so called Republican revolution of 1994, and more saliently the last 8 years, 6 of wich were dominated by control of all branches by the GOP?

Consumer side along with trickle down has traditionally been a conservative agenda...history shows that it has been the liberals that support agressively human rights issues and are against sweat shops in favor of unions and regulation to prohibit this sort of thing...getting around the regulations to get cheep products on the shelf is not liberal! Where are you coming up with this stuff????

I think JET has lost all scruples...

Jetxnet will say anything and everything, if it sounds convincing.

Is the GOP and NWO paying you MR DISINFO JETXNET?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

OK whatever,,, I am going to post a new thread tomarrow and we will see

What Party WALMART AFFILIATES with...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I concure. I do enjoy healthy debate and conversation regarding the issues, and can appreciate a thread like this one.

I think the OP has acted on what he/she feels is solid data that suggests that the economy is strong and vibrant. What myself and others have been trying to point out is that, there is a ton of evidence that shows that 1. the economy is not healthy, and 2. that the official figures are not factual.

I don't see that being liberal or conservative, but criminal. The motivation lies with those in power who changed the way the data is compiled to distort perceptions for political gain, and when either side of the ideological spectrum does this, it needs to be investigated and those responsible held accountable for it.

The evidence clearly supports the position that it aint the lib's who have been lieing.

Sky

ps. still waiting for the long list of corporations who are growing and providing job creation that goes above and beyond the job losses...seriously, if you can post one, I'd be interested in looking at it, plus it would back up your position that we are in a vibrant growth period.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   

"Since 2001, the first year China operated with PNTR status, our trade deficit with China ballooned from $83 billion a year to well over $232.5 billion in 2006," Senator Byron Dorgan said. "It's not difficult to see why. China has engaged in systematic labor abuses, intellectual property theft and piracy, currency manipulation and unfair barriers against U.S. exports.”

Senator Dorgan introduced this legislation and Obama voted AGAINST STRENGTHENING UNFAIR TRADE PRACTICE LAWS! What country is he batting for?

Obama's vote:

"NO" Vote 232: H R 2862: Dorgan Amdt. No. 1665; To prohibit weakening any law that provides safeguards from unfair foreign trade practices.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Interesting thread

Technically there might not be a recession yet but this is going to get seriously ugly. If you thought 1929 was bad think again .. Whats going on now could spell the end of the current monetary system just wait or a couple more banks to fall over and the money for propping them up runs out.... or god forbid for you guys in the us the oil producing countries decide to use the Euro instead of the Dollar as its basically worthless cause you have been printing to much of them.

If you think this is exaggerated or Doom mongering ...

please read this interview with the UK Chancellor of the exchequer

www.guardian.co.uk...

specifically this sentence is interesting

The economic times we are facing "are arguably the worst they've been in 60 years," he says bluntly. "And I think it's going to be more profound and long-lasting than people thought."

now as we live in a global economy where everything is related and the eye of the credit crunch storm is in the US I wouldn't be that positive about where the US will be at the end of this storm

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

How does this go with the topic of the thread? Other than you show evidence that our trade deficit with China, who holds a ton of our debt by the way, is huge now, how is this supportive of a strong growth period for our economy?

Many times politicians of both parties vote in favor or against a bill for various reasons. Often there are other things attatched to it, or it may be that a competing bill is more effective at acomplishing desired goals.

I would be interested to find out why it was he voted no on this particular bill. Nevertheless it continues to be a tool of candidates to use against one another saying that "he/she voted for/against such and such bill", while ignoring the reasons why. It's kind of like taking things way out of context, or using a 5 second soundbite...

I think whenever a candidate quotes another's vote they need to also disclose why it is that they voted yeah or ney...otherwise it's dishonest and unethical. Another favorite thing they like to do...and the Republicans have made it into an art form, is passing a bill that allows a company to polute more in the water, and calls it "the clean water bill for pure growth" or some such thing...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I don't look at your argument as a republican vs democrat issue. I see it as a government issue. If I were to create a title for a thread like this it would read "Economy NOT in a Recession? More government lies?"

I live in vegas and know people who are having their hours cut. I'm also seing standard of living decrease. Real disposable income should lead to higher standard of living if I'm not mistaken.

If savings are increasing I would assume it is coming from the wealthiest 5% or so. I don't know a lot of middle class citizens that have thriving bank accounts. On the contrary, I do know more than a few with thriving debt.

I suppose wal-mart could be to blame for all of those stores closing but it seems very sudden for these big name stores to cut back, especially in a thriving economy.

I have some understanding of economics but my observations come more from logic than from numbers and the media. I don't trust government numbers because, well, just maybe the government would like to keep the masses thinking everything is all rosie. Please don't make this a republican democrat thing. The numbers get manipulated no matter who is in office.

Jamie, you wanted numbers, any numbers that the economy is in a recession. Here they are.

Have a look around the site. Here is an explanation of how the GDP numbers are manipulated.

I feel the Fed has more to do with the economy than ANY politician and the current expansionary policies and bailouts are just delaying the inevitable. You don't fix a problem created by cheap money with more cheap money.
As soon as we stop seeing things as dem vs. rep we can realize who is really screwing us. You think a two party system is choice? To me two parties are the minimum to let people think they have a choice but the maximum to control everything that goes on. There is no conservative party that stands a chance anymore.
I am a registered republican FYI though.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Ah yes Jamie. There is a great liberal conspiracy at work here. Eleven percent unempoyment in Ohio alone. We are ALL malingerers.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Republicans deny theres a coming recession when a financial and housing crises is starring them in the face.
www.economist.com...

Republicans deny the existence of global warming despite the evidence pointed out by the worlds lead scientists.
thetyee.ca...

Republicans still believe the Iraq war was justified.

Its very easy to deny the facts, but that doesnt mean you can escape them.

Enough said.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Elfworkz

When I see people not shopping or driving I say we are in a recession. When I see people eating more dry foods and conserving I will believe.

When people are eating dry foods and conserving in this country

its either Y2k
or a depression

not a recession

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Your country's growth is nothing compared to your country's spiraling debt.

Get real.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join