It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economy in Recession? More Liberal Lies?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
GroundCover, the only fact you need is the GDP growth rate. That's it.

GDP says the US economy has grown 3% this last quarter and every quarter for the last several years.

If the GDP were negative, then the US economy would not be growing and a potential recession would be possible.

Make sense - can you grasp that much?

Don't try to throw useless job and business closing info that is prevalent whether the economy is growing or not due to certain companies dominating and monopolizing the markets (i.e. Walmart, Microsoft etc.)

Bottom line, the US economy grew another 3%.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
Energy and Food isn't factored into the official inflation factors, if it were, according to a Republican (can't remember his name but he was a congressmen) testifying a few months back on C-Span, said it would be above 12%...other experts and officials say it may even be up around 20%

You are ill-informed and apparently too lazy to do your own research. Hope this helps:

This is the inflation without food and energy:

This is inflation with food and energy:

Notice inflation including food and energy is just a tad over 5%. Maybe you should actually expend the tiniest bit of effort to educate yourself with the written word instead of television.

but the OP says we are experiencing huge growth and that liberals are telling us lies.

No, I said the U.S. economy is on pace to grow at 3.3% this year. And yes, liberals are telling you lies if they say we are in a recession.

Your actually doing the progressive side a favor

Yes, I am trying to do you a favor by helping to remove the liberals' heads from the butts of the MSM disinfo sources they listen to.

with these crazy posts because it showcases the kind of uneducated and irrational viewpoints so prevalent amongst conservatives. Please continue to make these threads and liberal use of the word "liberal".

If I am uneducated and irrational then those posting false viewpoints such as you did must have the IQ of a turnip.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
GroundCover, the only fact you need is the GDP growth rate. That's it.

GDP says the US economy has grown 3% this last quarter and every quarter for the last several years.

If the GDP were negative, then the US economy would not be growing and a potential recession would be possible.

Make sense - can you grasp that much?

Don't try to throw useless job and business closing info that is prevalent whether the economy is growing or not due to certain companies dominating and monopolizing the markets (i.e. Walmart, Microsoft etc.)

Bottom line, the US economy grew another 3%.

Sorry, but there isn't any point in continuing this discussion. You don't have a full understanding of the available data. Because you would not be talking like this if you did. Good night, and good luck to you.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Originally posted by jamie83

You are ill-informed and apparently too lazy to do your own research. Hope this helps:

The CPI? Are you serious? Jamie, post a graph of the M3 from the Federal Reserve Board for 2008. If you can find one.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

Sorry, but there isn't any point in continuing this discussion. You don't have a full understanding of the available data. Because you would not be talking like this if you did. Good night, and good luck to you.

This is really an amazing thread for anybody who would like to study how the liberal mind works, or doesn't work.

It's really simple. A recession means the economy is shrinking for two consecutive quarters. The economy is NOT shrinking. The economy is GROWING at a rate of 3.3%.

And rather than acknowledge this simple fact, the liberals on this thread will do anything to hold onto their ill-informed belief that we are in a recession.

Apparently they are as gullible as the Democratic leaders must have planned for when they started this misinformation campaign to begin with.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Walmart is the bottom feeder as it were. As the economy suffers, people downsize. Moreover, things aren't so rosey at Wally world either, but they have done well in a shrinking economy. So have bars.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   

This is really an amazing thread for anybody who would like to study how the liberal mind works, or doesn't work.

It's really simple. A recession means the economy is shrinking for two consecutive quarters. The economy is NOT shrinking. The economy is GROWING at a rate of 3.3%.

And rather than acknowledge this simple fact, the liberals on this thread will do anything to hold onto their ill-informed belief that we are in a recession.

Apparently they are as gullible as the Democratic leaders must have planned for when they started this misinformation campaign to begin with.

I'm pretty far from a Democrat, and I'm not even close to liberal. I'm going to come back to this thread in a a month. Just to see what political talking points you are regurgitating then.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   

This is true and goes to show you, anything to bad-mouth America. It's a shame really. Instead of giving America credit for sustaining growth in a time of Global stress on Gas and Food prices, America is still not only holding it's own, but growing as well.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Pacific Sunwear - 153 Demo stores closing

-- Reason - Walmart sells clothes

Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations to close with 4,000 employees following 5,000 layoffs last year.

-- Reason - Verizon and Alltell having most of the market share

J. C. Penney, Lowe's and Office Depot are all scaling back

-- Reason - Walmart sells everything JC Penny does and most of what Office Depot does

Wilsons the Leather Experts – closing 158 stores

-- Walmart and Target sell genuine leather coats now

Bombay Company: to close all 384 U.S.-based Bombay Company stores.

-- Walmart sells furniture and home accessories

Best Buy (Closed)

-- Walmart sells electronics

See a distrubing pattern here? Everyone shops at Walmart and when they're there - they get everything else they need.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by jetxnet]

So if you recognize that there are many companies going under why do you say things along the lines of -"lying liberals" - "the economy is fine" - "+3.3% GDP in the second quarter"...

It also seems that you grasp the fact that some companies are cornering the market...

Do you support this?

Because companies taking over this nation is a very big concern for most LIBERALS.

And if you support a jungle like free market at what point does the AMERICAN citizen say enough???

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I'm pretty far from a Democrat, and I'm not even close to liberal. I'm going to come back to this thread in a a month. Just to see what political talking points you are regurgitating then.

Whatever you are doesn't matter. I'm not regurgitating talking points. I'm copying and pasting economic data from the St. Louis Federal Reserve website.

Here's how it works. Pay attention. You might actually learn something.

You begin with a term, in this case "recession."

You then define what the term means. In this case, recession means two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by the GDP.

Next you look up the data and see if it meets the criteria. If the data fits the description, then we have a recession. if not, then we don't have a recession.

Now compare this methodology with how you and many of the liberal posters on this thread have approached this.

First, they are searching for something bad about the economy.
They decide that we are in a "recession."
Then they look up data.
Then they define the word "recession" based on the data they've found, and say, "See! I told you! We're in a recession!"

I.e., their approach is idiotic.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

This is so strange. I can't speak for all liberals, and yes I for the most part consider myself liberal on most issues, and I acknowledge the 3%. What more do you want? Then subtract the decline in value of the USD (inflation), with dramatic increases in fuel/energy and food, plus consumer debt, and decreasing values that must be wrote down in real estate (defaults / bail outs / and all associated factors with this giant mess) we no longer have actual growth.

If we grow 3% on paper, but it costs everyone 20% more to keep up then we actually have negative growth...It doesn't actually work this way exactly, but the fundamental point is there.

The problem is, it's phony accounting. Hey it wouldn't be the first time the govn't has cooked the books! I don't see this as a conservative vs liberal thing at all....as far as I'm concerned we see cooked books in many corporations led by people of both parties, and have seen it in govn't no matter what faction is in power. You seem to be making the arguement that the economy is based on some liberal conspiracy to trick you into thinking it's bad because you are basing this all on what you think is solid data. Others are pointing out the folly with this.

When someone is busted for grand theft auto do we bother to care what his or her political ideology is? No, a crook is a crook. It matters little if they are liberal or conservative. Same with the ones who turn out these bogus figures and continues to screw the American people...they're criminals.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Another thing you often talk about Obama and the NWO...

NWO is a GLOBALIST power consolidation entity of sorts...

Opening New Markets
John McCain believes that globalization is an opportunity for American workers today and in the future. Ninety-five percent of the world's customers lie outside our borders and we need to be at the table when the rules for access to those markets are written. To do so, the U.S. should engage in multilateral, regional and bilateral efforts to reduce barriers to trade, level the global playing field and build effective enforcement of global trading rules.

Export growth is the strongest part of our sluggish economy, and we should be encouraging the growth of even more jobs in this sector through more free trade agreements which give American firms more access to sell our goods and services abroad.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Because companies taking over this nation is a very big concern for most LIBERALS.

Guess what? Microsoft and Walmart both have Liberal CEOs!

This is how ill-informed or non-factual Liberal supporters of Obama are.

Obama is a Marxist and only wants a handful of companies to rule America, with them answering to him and his government, of course.

Bill Gates is a Utopic. He is far left, but not as far left as Obama.

Bill worked for IBM. He worked on a project called "IBM-DOS".

He and his buddy Paul, took the code for IBM DOS and added to it substantially while the first computer was coming out on the market. The computer needed an operating system.

MS-DOS - a stolen version of IBM-DOS, was chosen over IBM-DOS because it had more features. Those features were added in 7 weeks.

MS-DOS went out on the new first modern comptuers and Microsoft grew huge in a hurry.

It is this country that afforded Bill to do what he did, yet he shows no loyalty to the US in any way, shape or form.

Walmart - same strategy for monopolizing the market. Both companies are Democrat outfits.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Whatever you are doesn't matter. I'm not regurgitating talking points. I'm copying and pasting economic data from the St. Louis Federal Reserve website.

Here's how it works. Pay attention. You might actually learn something.

You begin with a term, in this case "recession."

You then define what the term means. In this case, recession means two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by the GDP.

Next you look up the data and see if it meets the criteria. If the data fits the description, then we have a recession. if not, then we don't have a recession.

Now compare this methodology with how you and many of the liberal posters on this thread have approached this.

First, they are searching for something bad about the economy.
They decide that we are in a "recession."
Then they look up data.
Then they define the word "recession" based on the data they've found, and say, "See! I told you! We're in a recession!"

I.e., their approach is idiotic.

OK great!!!

DO you recognize the fact that companies are closing up shop, prices are sky rocketing
and the dollar is less powerful then it was eight years ago??? Yes or no???

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Not sure what this has to do with economic growth and lieing liberals but I'm haveing difficulty following your thinking here.

Howard Hughes (Suma Corp) gave money to Nixon and Kennedy at the same time! Did that make him a liberal too?

So Walmart is Democratic? That's a new one...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Yes, Walmart has a Democrat CEO base.

Why do you think Hillary got the nickname 'HILLARY "WALMART" CLINTON'.

She helped Walmart get major funding and support.

Even Wal-Mart, the largest and arguably most powerful corporation in the country, is no match for the triangulation, pandering and obfuscation of Hillary Clinton. With Wal-Mart rating as public enemy number one among many liberals, progressives and just regular voters, Clinton is finding her past ties to Wal-Mart too hot to handle so, presto, over the side the Beast of Bentonville must go.

For those not in the know, Clinton served on Wal-Mart’s board for six years prior to her husband’s run for the presidency. She recently received $5,000 from Wal-Mart. I’ve raised the Wal-Mart relationship repeatedly in my current race against Clinton and it causes deep unease among voters. I believe it speaks to the incumbent’s close ties to abusive corporate power: her large corporate financial contributions, her support for so-called “free trade” (which is simply trade to benefit corporations) and her unwillingness to confront corporate power that denies every American, among other things, universal health insurance.

Source

I really wish you guys would do some research.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Notice inflation including food and energy is just a tad over 5%

There's the smoking gun right there. You want proof the books are cooked? There it is!!!!

So oil that traded below $20 just a few years ago, now at around $120 and the USD has slid in an avalanche, while gold shoots up from under $400 to $800...and these crooks are telling us just 5%???

Hey, I have a stretch of the Florida Turnpike...oh, oops, it's the Ronald Reagan Turnpike now up forsale...any offers?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Guess what? Microsoft and Walmart both have Liberal CEOs!

Walmart - same strategy for monopolizing the market. both companies are Democrat outfits.

"WALMART is a DEMOCRATIC outfit "
:lo l:

online.wsj.com...

In the past few weeks, thousands of Walmart store managers and department heads nationwide have been attending mandatory meetings designed to influence their vote this November, the Wall Street Journal has learned.
These meetings, according to employees who have attended them, are heavily slanted in favor of the GOP. Although Walmart executives do not specifically tell these employees to vote Republican, the inference is obvious.

www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Mental, see my post above.

Yes, Walmart is Democratic - see Hillary's ties to Walmart. She served on Walmart's board of directors.

Guess what? Michelle Obama has ties to Walmart.

Her position on the board of the company was not without controversy. Many pointed to her role on the board as a direct conflict with her husband's stance against the company Wal-Mart. TreeHouse Foods is one of the main suppliers to Wal-Mart and Senator Obama has come out against Wal-Mart's labor practices in the past.

Source

You guys are so Obama brainwashed. It's rediculous.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Yes, Walmart has a Democrat CEO base.

Why do you think Hillary got the nickname 'HILLARY "WALMART" CLINTON'.

She helped Walmart get major funding and support.

Even Wal-Mart, the largest and arguably most powerful corporation in the country, is no match for the triangulation, pandering and obfuscation of Hillary Clinton. With Wal-Mart rating as public enemy number one among many liberals, progressives and just regular voters, Clinton is finding her past ties to Wal-Mart too hot to handle so, presto, over the side the Beast of Bentonville must go.

For those not in the know, Clinton served on Wal-Mart’s board for six years prior to her husband’s run for the presidency. She recently received $5,000 from Wal-Mart. I’ve raised the Wal-Mart relationship repeatedly in my current race against Clinton and it causes deep unease among voters. I believe it speaks to the incumbent’s close ties to abusive corporate power: her large corporate financial contributions, her support for so-called “free trade” (which is simply trade to benefit corporations) and her unwillingness to confront corporate power that denies every American, among other things, universal health insurance.

Source

I really wish you guys would do some research.

DUDE WALMART is afraid of OBAMA and his unionization policies...

They have been telling employees that if they vote for Obama they will lose their jobs etc....

SO you are PRO WALMART being that is was one of BUSH's top donators in 04???

Do you even know what you you are posting half of the time?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join