It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let thier be light; The B-1B to be fitted with 150kw laser by 2012?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
DARPA is conducting research with the goal of fitting a 150kw that will fit in one fo the B-1's three bomb bays. the laser could be used for both offensive and defensive purposes.

Having played a pivotal role in the development of smart weapons, Darpa is now targeting high-energy lasers for their ability to deliver ultra-precise lethal and non-lethal effects in both defensive and offensive operations.

The challenge the research agency has set is to demonstrate a complete laser weapon system packaged to fit in the bomb bay of a B-1 bomber and have it ready to fly by 2012. This will be the first demonstration of a compact, robust solid-state laser weapon outside the laboratory.

Darpa has had a long involvement in advanced weapons. In 1982, the Assault Breaker program demonstrated a standoff precision strike capability using an airborne radar to locate and track targets and guide a ground-to-ground missile to dispense terminally guided submunitions over an array of tanks.
aviationnow.com.../awst_xml/2008/08/18/ AW_08_18_2008_p64-71711.xml&headline=Laser+Weapon+Designed+for+B-1+To+Be+Tested+in+2011

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I thought the B-1 generators struggle to make enough juice as it is... surely this is not going to help.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Kilcoo that was my first thought as well.

OTOH, if they can make the thing work, it would certainly be an impressive system.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a 2 part chemical laser.

Doent need a lot of "juice".

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So in 2012 we will have a B-1B with solid state laser, an AC-130 with a solid state laser, an F-35 with a solid state laser and a 747 with a multi-megawatt chemical laser...

It just gets funner and funner, don't it?!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I hate how people on this forum obfuscate the real issue. Why aren't we asking ourselves whether or not this will pop a gigantic tub of popcorn in a some professors obsessively neat home?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpbman
I hate how people on this forum obfuscate the real issue. Why aren't we asking ourselves whether or not this will pop a gigantic tub of popcorn in a some professors obsessively neat home?

Lasers don't do that - the new breed of directed energy microwave weapons on the otherhand could focus in on one kernel of corn and pop it, and leave the rest unpopped.

That would surely piss the bad guys off, wouldn't it?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Lasers don't do that -

Useless!

the new breed of directed energy microwave weapons on the otherhand could focus in on one kernel of corn and pop it, and leave the rest unpopped. That would surely piss the bad guys off, wouldn't it?

post by intelgurl

That's what I'm talkin about!

In all seriousness, I'd rather spend the money on procurement for bombers before shoving lasers in them.*

*Unless of course said frickin lasers are attached to sharks mounted to the rotary launcher. That would be awesome.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

Just to help you with this intelgurl, I'm going to dig out a fairly old thread you made regarding DEW, I think it will also apply to this discussion.

It's old, but the information is great.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
So in 2012 we will have a B-1B with solid state laser, an AC-130 with a solid state laser, an F-35 with a solid state laser and a 747 with a multi-megawatt chemical laser...

F-35 (by 2012)?

Kinda at odds with:

The challenge the research agency has set is to demonstrate a complete laser weapon system packaged to fit in the bomb bay of a B-1 bomber and have it ready to fly by 2012. This will be the first demonstration of a compact, robust solid-state laser weapon outside the laboratory.

Or have I missed something?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

It just gets funner and funner, don't it?!

and all the upper surfaces will have
solar panels to power it

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
F-35 (by 2012)?

Kinda at odds with:

Or have I missed something?

Sorry Kilcoo, it was a generalized facetious statement and not meant to be disected for accuracy.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Sorry Kilcoo, it was a generalized facetious statement and not meant to be disected for accuracy.

Whoops, my bad.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yes I believe they will do this.They do have the technology.
If you look at recent events such as the laser in Israel being able to disintegrate incoming missiles mortars and artillery shells.
Even the North Koreans already at once stage were messing about with plane mounted lasers and were able to Jam some electronics on a US plane with it.
And being NK don't have all that much money imagine what the wealthier country s have.
I think Han Solo's blaster is not to far away.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Dailytech

According to Wired, Northrop Grumman has told the Pentagon that it will have weapons grade lasers by the end of 2008. Northrop says that it will have a 100 kilowatt laser -- the strength widely considered the starting point for military grade weapons. That amount of power would be effective against rockets and mortars in flight.

To reach the 100-kilowatt threshold Northrop uses what it calls Laser Chains. The laser will use eight Laser Chains to achieve the full 100-kilowatt power. Northrop has tested the first two laser chains and was able to achieve a peak power of 30kW for over five minutes continuously and more than 40 minutes total. Northrop also reports that electrical-to-optical efficiency was greater than 19 percent.

A Northrop representative is quoted by Wired saying, "We are completely confident we will meet the 100 kW of power level and associated beam quality and runtime requirements of the JHPSSL Phase 3 program by the end of December, 2008."

Maybe not so unrealistic?

[edit on 4/9/08 by kilcoo316]

top topics

join