It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to let New Orleans sink?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I don't think that humanity will have much to say in this matter. NO is located 20+ feet below sealevel. Katrina rocked that area 3 years ago, and I don't think that those problems have been fixed or even cleaned up fully as of yet. And, God forbid, Gustav blows in and levels the town. No one wants that to happen.....but it has to be in the backs of people's minds.

If you live on coastal areas, live in areas on the coast that are below sea level, common sense should tell you that these are not the safest places in the world to reside.

Mankind may think he/she are the smartest, most evolved creatures on this planet and that nothing can defeat them.......but, mess with Mother Nature and all of your brains and evolutionary skills won't mean squat.

Quite! Man is so arrogant that he believes he can do what he wants where he wants. Nature on other hand proves him wrong time and time again. The bigger the anti nature building the bigger the disaster that follows. We should stop building on flood plains and stop reclaiming land from the sea. We need to grow up and work with nature not against it.

There are vast areas of the world where we can live and be free of almost all natural disasters. The problem is the "view" may not be the best!

Flood plains are very fertile and we should grow crops there with the understanding that every now and then the whole crop will be lost. Stop listening to farmers bitching and complaining "I need compensation for my lost crops that I planted in a flood plain" and it flooded (DUH!!!!)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
MOB RULE AGAINST ORIGINAL POSTER!!

And the Government, for whom they work for..

I think the united states government needs a swift kick in the arse, with all these nuclear weapons I have stashed behind me....

May Your Disgusting RACE Of Mutant Anarchists Die In HELL, FOREVER....

Bon,

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
California will always have wildfires which run rampant and earthquakes which cause millions in destruction.

Isn't it time to just let California turn to the smoldering rubble that nature obviously intends it to be?

What about Florida? They get hurricanes from all around. I say it's definitely time for a forced relocation to somewhere like Minnesota.

Natural disasters can and will affect everyone everywhere.

Posted from inside of my bathroom closet, because a tornado was recently seen in Baton Rouge.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Realms

You are attacking the poor black residents here and talking about them like you know what they are like. It seems the only info you have on them is from the mainstream news. I bet NONE of you have stepped foor in the 9th ward.

[edit on 8/31/2008 by Dark Realms]

Actually, all residents of New Orleans and surrounding areas are being attacked on this thread. Not just the poor black ones, but everyone who lives in the area.

But I do agree with you that people are only getting their info from mainstream news. The news stations weren't even right on many occasions with Katrina. I expect the same again.

And for everyone talking about how they aren't donating this time around... Keep your damn money. I find it offensive to talk about the region like every single person required donations and government assistance to rebuild or just to survive. My family didn't go around looking for handouts. We took care of ourselves. And my father, physical disability and all, rebuilt his his gutted home without volunteers, or Road Home money. Didn't get a DIME of Road Home in fact. He had just finished with his last few baseboards on Thursday... I just want to cry and be sad about what is happening to my hometown without the insensitivity.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Deadly double post.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Realms
This is an amazing place and I am going to continue to live here, and I understand why others want to live here, poor or not.

Thank you. You post hit it right on the head.

New Orleans is my ancestral home, and the majority of my family live there and in the surrounding area.

If New Orleans gets swamped again, it will be rebuilt again. And again, and again. Not only for the reasons that Dark Realms posted, but because it has to be. Unlike most American cities, New Orleans is alive. You can feel it when you enter it. It's hard to explain, but it is tangible.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Lets be honest low level housing is available almost anywhere in the United States. These lower level citizens could easily relocate anywhere and I'm sure our government could probably set up a shuttle bus program to do exactly that. The 2nd time in a couple of years that this area of our country would be blasted by another hurricane; I say we let it sink.

Also I say if this is going to be continually rebuilt that if the citizens don't want to pay for it themselves; that the American people can vote on it. If we rebuild it every year we are wasting billions of dollars that could be used better else where; our economy is terrible enough and we shouldn't have to rebuild something if the entire country isn't for it.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Lokey13]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well, nature does bat last.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I can't believe the hard-hearted responses in this thread. What's good for NOLA is good for the United States. "It's the port, stupid." Not to mention the irreplaceable culture that brings tourists from around the world.

If you have ever been to N.O. - then you get it. If not, you'll have no idea how special it is until you are lucky enough to experience it for yourself. It's one of America's greatest cities. The music, the cuisine, the culture, the people.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

[edit on 1/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yeah I been there..........Food is good but the smell of puke and urine on Bourbon street was awful!

It's alive alright!

It all boils down to a personal choice. Many Katrina escapees live in my city today and have no more fears of hurricanes because it's not by the coast!

I'm not saying a forced evacuation but a true assessment of your life and those of your family. So pick up the dice N.O. people the call is in your hands!

CAT 2 as of recent BTW.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I can't believe the hard-hearted responses in this thread. What's good for NOLA is good for the United States. It's the port stupid. Not to mention the irreplaceable culture that brings tourists from around the world.

If you have ever been to N.O. - then you get it. If not, you'll have no idea how special it is until you are lucky enough to experience it for yourself. It's one of America's greatest cities. The music, the cuisine, the culture, the people.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Not hard-hearted you just dont want to admit the truth............ and easy on the name calling not everyone hear on ATS will be as intelligent as you.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Elfworkz

Not calling anyone stupid specifically, just ripping on the phrase "It's the economy stupid" that was used against Bush senior.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Okay, I'll by that. Thanks for clearing that up. But it all boils down to a personal choice wouldn't you agree?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jwstarry

I think the area will become depopulated little by little from one storm to the next anyway. Many evacuees will return to find their homes red tagged or condemmed. Not having the money to rebuild, they will simply move away. In less than 25 years the whole place could be underwater, just a memory.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
As has been previously stated, what mama wants, mama gets. New Orleans will eventually be reclaimed by the sea and the river.
I live in Arkansas, about 8 miles from the Mississippi. Right now the levees hold back the river, even during the heavy spring rains we had this year. But I have seen water literally lapping at the top of the levee.
I also live on the New Madrid fault. If an earthquake occurs at a time when the river is above flood stage, at least a third of the state of Arkansas, including my home, will be flooded. The death toll will be enormous, as will the be the hit to the economy.
Should I leave? Probably. Will I leave? Nope. But I don't get hit with a major earthquake ever 3-4 years.
Yep, New Orleans is history. Maybe not this year, or nextyear but soon. We will keep trying to rebuild, but each time less and less will be rebuilt, and the city will die. (If you don't think cities die, just do a little research. Remeber Jericho? Nineveh? In this country, there have been many cities and towns that have eventually died. It happens.)
Sorry to post such a downer, but reality is not always pretty.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Now I am truly inspired! You are making a great personal choice and I respect that.

If others can see it the same other than "mean people" saying bad things. It is what it is. Don't polish a turd, it won't do any good.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I do believe that people should get the heck out of that area. I think it's incredibly foolish to spend millions on building walls to keep the ocean out, I mean come on!
Who in there right mind would want to live in that place after katrina? THe definition of insanity is doing the same the over and over agian and expecting a different reslut each time.
These people are crazy if they think that they will ever be able to return and live without another hurricane destroying the place, they need to pack up and move perminantly, let nature take it's course, seriously, it's like building a house on top of an active volcano and never thinking something bad's going to happen.

I blame government funded education, somehow they've been able to take away people's common sense.

-Jimmy

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well said.

Build your house on sand or rock?

I live here because it's a unique and diverse culture........

I think what you mean is you live there because you choose to take the risk thats it.

Luckily this time it looks like NO may make it relatively unharmed but it will be hyped up and FEMA will get billions so they can toot there horn saying "look how wonderful we are" . Money will be tossed everywhere like Katrina and they will spend years auditing worthless spending.

All about the money no doubt. Either that or people who love living on the edge!

Whatever.........

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
i lived in NOLA for a year (1993).
sure, its unique...but nature WAS here before the city of new orleans and, i'll repeat myself: nature will win.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
how would feel if someone said that your home town should sink and be underwater? well some day it might happen to u

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join