It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to let New Orleans sink?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If Gustav makes a direct hit on New Orleans, is it time to let Mother Nature reclaim the entire Mississippi Delta region?

If not, is that something you might ever consider?

With the threat of globalwarming and the onslaught of more frequent and stronger storms, does it make any sense to continue to rebuild the region? When does apathy set in? Apathy towards rebuilding, apathy towards giving charity to those that stay, apathy towards sending tax dollars which could be used elsewhere.

I personally feel it is time to let New Orleans slip quietly underwater and meet the ssame fate as Atlantis. That is my two cents just wondering if anyone has reached the same conclusion or quickly heading that way.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Tell that to the large contingent of "lower class" citizens who can't afford to relocate even if they wanted to.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by matth

Okay, I understand your concern, but what would be more cost effective. To continue to evacuate them, rebuild, then transport them back or just spend the money to permanently relocate them now?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I love New Orleans and what it stands for. It is rich in history and tradition. I have never lived there but have family that does and I cannot imagine even suggesting that it be allowed to just slip into the ocean.

La Jolla, CA has been 'home' to me my entire life. Obviously we do not have the threat of hurricaines but I can guarantee you that if something were to happen to the town and everything had to be rebuilt, I would rebuild as many times as necessary and would never give up. I could never accept having the town I have always known as 'home' suddenly being taken from me.

Jemison

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I understand what you're saying and maybe it would be cheaper to pay for all 300,000 citizens to relocate and move as opposed to rebuilding a failed levee system time and time again...but the reality of it is that they're not going to leave, they're human life, so their government has to protect them, whether it's economically feasible or not.

Then again they did squat for them 3 years ago so I don't know why I'm being so hopeful that they'll do anything this time.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by matth

Alright maybe right now is not the right time to say something like this. Maybe only 2 storms in 3 years is not enough and I hope that all efforts are made for everyones saftey and the Gov. steps in after and helps them rebuild.

But lets play the "what ifs"

1. What if 5 years from now we are sitting around waiting for the second major hurricane since Gustav to make landfall?

2. What if major Companies get fed up and leave, taking with them at least 75% of New Orleans economy?

3. What if Hurricane Hanna makes it way into the gulf and heads right for New Orleans?

4. What if Louisiana's Budget goes belly up and Louisiana becomes Bankrupt from dealing with all the storms?

Does any of these "What ifs" make you change your mind? To evcuate New Orleans permanently would be a very tough decision but when it comes to difficult problems only difficult solutions will work.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Strangely enough, I had this exact thought the other night.
I agree with the other posters in this thread as well, so I can see both sides of the viewpoint.

It does seem quite illogical to allow ( human-being or not, home or not ) to continue to return to an area that has been destroyed so many times. Its like some of the towns in tornado alley that get wiped off the map.

It may have been home, but what really is left that reminds you of it? Trees, homes, businesses, etc are destroyed or damaged. Its like having your home burn to the ground. You may rebuild in the same location, but is it really the same? Memories are all that's left of what once was.

Seal off the area, and place a park or something nearby to remember what once was.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That is a tough question, but I'll have a go at it.
First, I don't believe that anyone should be forced to live anywhere. A similar situation occurred in Centralia, PA. For those not familiar with Centralia, an underground mine fire has been burning under the town since 1962, and it is estimated that it will burn for about 100 years more, before it burns itself out. In 1983, the state offered to buy out all of the residents of Centralia. Most of the residents took the offer(current population 9), but a few, to this day, still live there. It is a very dangerous situation. Passing through the town, you can actually see smoke rising from underground. I believe that something like that could be offered to the residents of New Orleans. As in Centralia, those that don't accept the offer could still live in NO, but the government could put up the same sign that is in Centralia- proceed at your own risk.
When you look at the budget of NO, the services, etc., rebuilding costs, you could probably trade those costs for a buyout.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Why should anyone be concerned about the people who live in NO?

They CHOOSE to live below sea level. They saw what happened after katrina, yet they decided to stay anyways. To hell with them.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I live in Middletown Pa and I am very familiar with Centralia, in fact visited it many times. Everytime I watch the movie "Silent Hill' I always think of Centralia.

link to movie Silent Hill.
www.imdb.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My husband and I were just talking about this last night. He LOVES new orleans.

As sad as it is, mother nature wants to fill it up with water. Why go broke fighting momma when momma always wins?

I say let them pay to rebuild it if that is what they want, but put my tax dollars to better use.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Mother Nature may very well be trying to take back what is rightfully hers. For people to hang on to it because it's their 'home', is somewhat selfish and shows an unhealthy attachment to material things. But then that's what our public school system produces... ignorant, selfish, materialistic consumers.

There are millions of places in the US to live. If someone refuses to leave a place that is not meant to be inhabited, then let them go down with the ship. Our world is better off with environmentally-aware people who will make it a better place anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
what if...you stay your happy ass out of new orlean's business? how about you realize that there is poeple out here that have more honor ans sense of community than you do.
I will rebuild New Orleans one thousand times after one thousand hurricanes and most Louisianas feel the same way!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
what if...you stay your happy ass out of new orlean's business? how about you realize that there is poeple out here that have more honor ans sense of community than you do.
I will rebuild New Orleans one thousand times after one thousand hurricanes and most Louisianas feel the same way!

Sure they feel that way. Not difficult to want everything when you dont have to pay for any of it.

Make you a deal: We will stay out of NOLA's business if NOLA stays out of our wallet.

Sound good?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

There are millions of places in the US to live. If someone refuses to leave a place that is not meant to be inhabited, then let them go down with the ship. Our world is better off with environmentally-aware people who will make it a better place anyway.

Those environmentally-aware people are saying that global warming is occurring. Scientists predict that in a relatively short period of time, by human standards, much of the coastline of the United States will be underwater.

www.fightglobalwarming.com...

If sea level continues to rise, thousands of square miles of land in densely populated areas such as the eastern U.S. may be lost in a century or two, and flooding during storm surges will worsen. Construction of physical barriers such as seawalls would be expensive and in some cases infeasible.

Twenty to Thirty million people would face the same problem that N.O. now faces.

Your attitude seems very callous. Many of those people cannot afford to move, and many of them live there because their families moved there centuries ago. Let's not forget that many of them were brought there as slaves and had no choice as to where they lived.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bow chikka bow bow

lol you beat me to it.

I agree with that post.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by mrsdudara]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Ok, but how do plan on paying for it?

Did you see my original suggestion. I believe that the offset costs from the budget of N.O. would handle that, along with the costs of not rebuilding and re-enforcing the levees. Once the offer is made, N.O., as a government entity and all of its' costs, would cease to exist. Most people would move to areas where an infrastructure already exists.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Can he who stands against a tidal wave curse it aside. It will take what it wants when it wants, and any man who thinks he can always rebuild is foolhardy and needs to be swept away to cleanse the ignorance from the earth. - ancient Chinese proverb.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Let's not forget that many of them were brought there as slaves and had no choice as to where they lived.

That was a long time ago, and they have been given every opprotunity to better their lifestyles.

The only ones keeping them there and in that situation are themselves.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Yes, I saw that, and that would be ok. My comment was directed at the one who said they wanted to continue to rebuild N.O. over and over again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join