It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists fear impact of Asian pollutants on U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Great! now what ? Like Asia cares at all what they're doing. Worse in 15 yrs???

Here's the story
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AloD9uu6SFlYW__yr1Qkg3ys0NUE

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
What about all the western companies operating in Asia (and other places) simply for the very low labour costs and the far less stringent safety and pollution laws?

It can't all be blamed on the developing 3rd world countries when a lot of the time it is our own big corporations based there creating the pollution.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more. However if Asia had laws against pollution, everything would have to change. Personally I wish we would cut off trade with China. Too many dangerous products and too much outsourcing going on. It takes away too many jobs. Same with Mexico.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

I remember arguing a long time ago on this subject with a long gone member.
His attitude was that, although all the jobs were being outsourced to Asian countries, the US parent companies still owned the technology and reaped the rewards in bigger profits. I just could not get the point across that sure, the boardroom execs and big shareholders get richer, but what about all the workers who lose their jobs to cheap labour overseas?
They can't get similar paying jobs anymore due to all the outsourcing and so their level of consumer goods purchasing goes down, thus creating a further downturn in manufactured goods being imported / sold in the country that used to make them. That will have a big impact on the economy.

If the same anti-pollution laws and labour laws applied in the developing nations, we'd see a stop to outsourcing very quickly.

new topics

top topics

join