It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black hole on earth? Worrying possibility..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I read this interesting story in the papers and online. The weird thing is , this story ( in the papers) was on page 4, despite its importance.

" Scientists may be able to generate a black hole as often as every second when the world's most powerful particle accelerator comes online in 2007.

This potential "black hole factory" has raised fears that a stray black hole could devour our planet whole.

The Lifeboat Foundation, a non-profit organization devoted to safeguarding humanity from what it considers threats to our existence, has stated that artificial black holes could "threaten all life on Earth" and so it proposes to set up "self-sustaining colonies elsewhere."

Full story here : www.foxnews.com...

( sorry , still new to this forum and i'm having trouble with the hyperlink button )

Peace

ps: the story may date back to 2006, but the recently the physics lab in question who are planning to do this in Geneva are now planning to go ahead with the operation, while other organisations are trying to take them to court to have thel stop their experiment. The "particle Bashing" is to begin in 10 days. Lets hope nothing serious happens..

[edit on 31/8/2008 by Unium]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Oh boy.

You do realise that far worse reactions have been going on in the upper atmosphere since the dawn of the planet?

The Northern Lights are natures particle accelerator on a much larger scale.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Some people believe that the Tungusta event was caused by a microscopic black hole traversing through our planet.

Personally, I wouldn't orry too much about CERN and what might happen there.

After all, it is only a very big microscope. It won't harm anybody.

(Unless something falls off and squashes someone).

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yes, but a black hole eating our planet from the inside? Sounds serious doesnt it? I mean, i'm not really happy about 17 mile long tunnels in Geneva in which particles collide at the speed of a very VERY heavy train going VERY fast! But then , again, i'm not a scientist, i don't know the pro's and con's of the experiment. All i Know is that things could go wrong, VERY wrong.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well i wont be going on holiday to Geneva anytime soon then !

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The collided particles possess very little (if any) mass.

They are light photons, not locomotive hauled trains, and will therefore not cause any damage to anything.

I admit that they travel very quickly, the speed of light no less, as is the very nature of light, and they may very well produce some strange results, but that is what it is meant to do.

There are many trillions of highly powered neutron particles colliding with the Earth every fraction of every second since the Earths' creation four and a half billion years ago (unless your one of the six day brigade creation headcases), and their combined energies have so far only succeeded in creating what we witness as reality and life, so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
" The accelerator, known as the Large Hadron Collider, is under construction in an underground circular tunnel nearly 17 miles long at CERN, the world's largest physics laboratory, near Geneva, Switzerland.

At its maximum, each particle beam the collider fires will pack as much energy as a 400-ton train traveling at 120 mph. "

??

www.foxnews.com... " target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.foxnews.com...

it may not destroy earth, but they're have to be risks? If light cant escape a black hole, i don't see how humans could escape one ( unless we surgically attach wheels to our feet which reach speeds faster than the speed of light )

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So do black holes exsist now that the MSM use's this as a scare tactic?
Because, before all of this, the majority of the people on ATS would always chime in and say black hole's only exsit in science fiction movies.
In theory I always thought black holes exsisted but I have been told otherwise by many on ATS.
So which is it?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Well i wont be going on holiday to Geneva anytime soon then !

If there is going to be created here on Earth black hole capable of serious damage - Pluto will be safer then anywhere on Earth. Geneva, New York or Jerusalem.
And don't you want to witness this historic event? (just not horizon one
)
Actually i am also worried about black holes, but the most i worried about new toys physics will be able to build to our militaries due to scientific progress. Imagine - black-hole stand off. So much cooler then nuclear one and how much money could be made....

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Black hole war? Good one! Yea it probably would be a fantastic display of light flying everywhere - until it gets sucked into nothingness...
Personnaly between the two, i prefer nuclear.
Argh, anyway, i dont think there's gonna be a black hole war anytime soon!

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
well anyone who says black holes only exsist in sci-fi is well cracked imo we can see their ecreation discs around them so we know they exsist. As for the micro black holes they would be so low energy because of their tiny mass that if they werent closed imediately by quantum fluctuations then it would take years for it to consume enough mass to become the size of a grapefruit. dont really feel like finding the source on that but its out there i assure you. Besides that the area where collisions will take place is sort of like a tocomac which generates magnetic feilds capable of holding 50 million degree plasma in check so an infinately less energetic micro black hole would be a piece of cake to contain. But the chances of a micro black hole even getting to expand beyond its initial collapse is so remote that it doesnt even register on my O#o'meter

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
On 1999, when the RHIC (another collider) was beginning its tests, a lot of people said the same thing. It would release "strangelets", that strange matter would create a black hole and it would end up destoying the Earth.
It didn't happen.

It wasn't as powerful as the LHC, but I wonder... if nothing happens, wouldn't they say the same things when they built the "Very"LHC?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
No black holes from LHC

still nothing...

We've got nothing to worry about from LHC

This ones pretty cool.

Next stop: The fourth dimension

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Phew!

Thanks for your input ...and justice for some, at least now science can finally progress without large obstacles in its path =)

Peace!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
If there is going to be created here on Earth black hole capable of serious damage - Pluto will be safer then anywhere on Earth. Geneva, New York or Jerusalem.

Actually, the Moon would be safe enough even if they did make a black hole here, not that it's any use to us. Such a black hole would have very little mass until it swallowed the earth, and once it did, the black hole would only be the mass of earth, and would be about three cm across, IIRC. As such the moon would be unaffected. Similarly if we destroyed the moon with a black hole, the black hole would be the new moon.

In any case, to quote one of CERN's own statements:

Those produced by cosmic rays would pass harmlessly through the Earth into space, whereas those produced by the LHC could remain on Earth. However, there are much larger and denser astronomical bodies than the Earth in the Universe. Black holes produced in cosmic-ray collisions with bodies such as neutron stars and white dwarf stars would be brought to rest. The continued existence of such dense bodies, as well as the Earth, rules out the possibility of the LHC producing any dangerous black holes.

In fact, most of the points are that cosmic rays do it anyway, and as such the threat is 0, as demonstrated by the fact that dense objects such as neutron stars exist, and haven't been destroyed by cosmic rays.

Also, consider this, if a black hole were created, it would be created by an object traveling near c, that is 300,000 km/s. As long as it were traveling faster than 11km/h, it would escape Earth's gravity anyway. Ignoring the fact that such a creation is unlikely anyway.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonrat

After all, it is only a very big microscope. It won't harm anybody.

A microscope? Please explain...
(I´m not mocking you, and am genuinely interested)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
There is not enough mass in theses particals to create a blackhole big enough to devour the planet, the scientist have calculated all of this, Do you actually think for one second that they would make a machine to create blackhole to devour the planet and themseleves after billions spent and thousands of hours? cmon ppl

[edit on 9/7/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
well anyone who says black holes only exsist in sci-fi is well cracked imo we can see their ecreation discs around them so we know they exsist.

Well thank you very much. So in your opinion i'm well cracked, but you don't even know how to write accretion, wich likely is an indication that you have no idea what that word means.

Let me make a prediction. CERN will create NO black holes. Why? well, imo, black holes only exist in mathematitions minds.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'll put a Million Dollars up saying the Earth won't be gobbled up by a Black Hole.

If I'm wrong you'll know where to find me.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by ATruGod]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I always wondered, could Mel's hole be something related to a black hole which got out of control in ancient times. Never did hear the conclusion to that story, or if there even was one. Mel did talk about stuff sinking into the ground, as well as all the other strange happenings.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join