It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ex-Christian who is lost in his own freedom and uncertainty.

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

NDEs seem to be nothing but the dying throws of the brain. People all over the world experience NEDs and all of them conform to their religion. They are not proof of anything, unfortunately.

The bliss, the feeling of peace is associated with one part of the brain, a lesser needed one shutting down. It seems it's not endorphins that give you that feeling but the ability to react to endorphins and other chemistry that brings that feeling. Some people feel forever enlightened but it turns out they are a little brain damaged from the NDE.

Why not believe in a God anyway? Well I can't convince myself or try to believe any more with out a feeling of dread, of dishonesty. It would be like I was lying to myself and I'm not very good at that.

[edit on 24/11/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Well, Good Wolf, I could give you a piece of advice.

Let things happen, continue living, doing whatever it is you do, and let God, if he so exists and really cares, make himself known.

However, don't let the fact that may be living for nothing make your life meaningless, give yourself some sort of long term goal, something that is unattainable in the short term and strive to reach it.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kiltedninja

I hear you man, I hear you. I couldn't rationalise doing anything else than what you said.

How are you? I haven't seen you post in a while.

[edit on 30/11/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've been busy, very busy.
Somewhat of a rare occurrance, as I don't get busy very often, I deal with things well.

It's a common thing, for people who don't submit themselves to the idea of an afterlife usually have long term goals, things of that sort. I have a few myself.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Haha. Well I'm unemployed ATM so I'm anything but busy.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Unfortunate, but I've actually had all week off.
It's just things involving home life.
And my hobbies.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I've been unemployed for over a month now, but I have a job starting in December so it's alright.

However in the meantime It's given me a lot of time to sort out some things at home, hobbies, relationships etc. But sometimes like yesterday, I was so bored that I went outback of the house and chopped down a tree. Why? Something to do.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It's things like that that are the reason I don't allow myself to get bored.
When I get bored I start messing with people, getting into some sort of trouble.

Good Luck with your job.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I harness boredom to be a constructive end.

..usually. Sometimes I'll pick something up and pull it to pieces- it's very therapeutic.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Yeah it is. But then I have to explain to my roommates why I took the table apart, or why the computer monitor has no casing. Or one time I took my friend's pistol apart, and he came home to me cleaning his pistol which I'd never before seen.

The less time I have to spend explaining myself, the more time I can do stuff that doesn't require explaining.

Either people are all sleeping, or we scared them off.

YAY INSOMNIA!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   

God, I know insomnia. Err. I have something wrong with my circadian rhythm I just know it.

A table, a computer, a pistol.

Yea well I don't usually destroy things that are being used or still functional. I'll usually get something out of the garage that is broken. I'll usually start to try and fix it but it's not long before there are pieces of a clock or something all over the floor.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
My problem is that I just drank an entire two liter of mountain dew.

Well, the table wasn't hard to put back together. The computer and pistol weren't bad, but I'm not going to take a computer apart anytime soon.

Fixing things takes a great deal more time, because I take it totally apart first, to see how the whole thing works.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   

That's how I went about fixing mums washing machine and dryer last month. However, I don't usually get very destructive, I've usually got something I'm working on, whether it be research or building a potato gun or what ever.

It's that reason I hate working, I don't get anything done that I wanna get done so all my projects get behind and sometimes they stop all together which is really depressing.

It's hard to keep on keeping on sometimes.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Yeah, I know how it is. Things have a tendency to get left in the dust when you have stuff to work on.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Probably why I have trouble keeping down a job. I should probably stop wasting time and just go to uni or some other tertiary education.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I view hobbies as they should be viewed, things to do once you're done doing your work. But I do enjoy my time messing around.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

That's where we differ. My hobbies consume me. Gives me a lot of trouble actually.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It all falls back onto our differences in thought process.
I tend to be more straight forward, and while I can step back and be a subtle person, it's not my nature.

You know, you kind of remind me of my friend Phred.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

We're obviously at contrasting ends of the spectrum of character.

You remind me of my friend Jason. He sounds a lot like you.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
What time is it over in New Zealand or wherever it is you live?
It's about 3:30 am here.

I used to be jealous of my friend Jason when I was little because his parents named him that and I was stuck with my name, but now I quite think my name suits me.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join