It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ex-Christian who is lost in his own freedom and uncertainty.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
((((((((((((((((((((Truth)))))))))))))
I kind of had that feeling that you are just really mad at him.
Dont you think you ought to forgive him and move on from here .
Because your not going to prove to anyone that God doesnt exist ..just like you think we cant prove that he does .

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
((((((((((((((((((((Truth)))))))))))))
I kind of had that feeling that you are just really mad at him.
Dont you think you ought to forgive him and move on from here .
Because your not going to prove to anyone that God doesnt exist ..just like you think we cant prove that he does .

I can't be mad at God anymore than you can be mad at Santa Clause. How can I be mad at someone that doesn't exist. An atheist is someone that believes there is no deity, so it's impossible (unless I had a mental condition), for me to be mad at him. Do you even try to look at things from my perspective? Do you even care that there are questions that can not be answered? Do you even care that the idea of God is contradictory in nature, therefor proving that he either does not exist or is not omnipotent? Do you even care about the truth? Use logic for peet's sake. If God DID create you, then surely he would want you to use the most important part of your being, your brain, which requires logic. If baffles me how someone can read all the contradictions and simply ignore them. Why do you ignore them?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Do I look like I am not careing ?
Does it look like I am not seeking truth ?
Do you really think that I am incapable of thinking ?

Come on ..

I am a woman but I sure as heck am not stupid .

I have already been shown that God exists in ways you do not want to ask for I promise .
I didnt get any prayers answered for along time either a long time ago..I also had to endure severe beatings from 2 different men DAILY ALMOST for about 12 years then the rest of my years (before the last ten) I had to endure the most horrible man on earth *One who hated GOd for him even being born>.I even had a child with this one (You should see what he did to my son mentally )And his life has just begun ..I cry for him at night to be healed from all he had to endure (yes its partially my fault for being with his dad )
This is just a small part of my whole story ...I dont want to wear you out lol
I learned alot ..the very hard way ..
But one day I gave up fighting myself and God ..I just gave up and said ok ..you and me ..I cant do this anymore ..I was tired of trying to do things my way THAT NEVER WORKED OUT .
As soon as I did that and gave up my own way and said ok Lord .have you got a better way than this ...he did ..and now my prayers get answered .
And I am happy and have a good man who really loves me now ..no more horrible life ..all gone ....
But one thing about prayer ..I pray for OTHERS PROBLEMS and OTHERS NEEDS .and OTHERS SALVATION (I am not out to save my own life) ...
and then my prayers are automatically answered as long as they are NOT SELFISH PRAYERS that I pray (Praying Amiss) ..and as long as I am not praying for them just to get mine answered .....................
I dont need much and the Lord knows my needs ..anything else I consider a blessing (I dont ask for much for me at all) ....
You have to start careing again Truth and that is the hard part really ...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Santa didnt die in my life ..and he didnt let me down ..(He lives on in me in my family) the spirit of Santa is always alive in my life ......Santa is everyone who gives to another ..and everyone who loves and shares with others.
Santa is LOVE and GIVING and that is what GOD is in my opinion .
(and no I did not say Santa is God but that the spirit of Santa is the same as the spirit of God)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'll point out what ever one is thinking, Simplynoone is back after saying goodbye twice.

But more importantly I'll say, I can not be sure of God with out more than reasonable evidence- beyond reasonable doubt. But at the same time I cannot be sure that he does not exist either.

People often say that the simplest explanation is often the best, or to put it another way; Follow the argument that requires the least amount of assumptions until evidence rules it out.

The simplest explanation of God (limited to my experience) is that he/she/they/it is the result of psychological phenomena [and to those who say that life will prove me wrong: I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath].

The widespread belief in God, IMO, is a predisposition and is the cumulative affect of:
Believing what one hopes, is in fact reality.
And cultural bias toward theism.

And btw simplynoone:

Originally posted by Simplynoone
Another thing
Wolf is only 19 or 20 ......
I mean really ...he gave the Lord about what 1 year of his time maybe (and didnt even really give him that because if he did for real I believe he would know by now for sure that he is real and his word is good and right ) and because things didnt seem to go the way he thought it should go ..he just dumps it all like a hot potato ...

Instead of one year, try five of almost Ned Flanders' like Christianity (well not Ned obviously, but certainly not only my best effort but also consistent effort). Not to mention the 5 half-assed christian years preceding that. I'm no stranger to this merry-go-round which is probably why I got disorientated and sick or the whole damn fun-fair people call Christianity.

Like I said before, logic is to me, what faith is to you. And there is no reason that God can't appeal to that, so then I must draw 4 conclusions:
1) God is going to show himself when the time is right (I'm skeptical but patient).
2) God doesn't care about us mere mortals.
3) God's to shy(insert preferred word here ie.fickle/annoying/spite-filled) to stop hiding in a place and way unreachable to science.
4) God doesn't exist Period

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
[Simplynoone is back after saying goodbye twice.]

LOL Im sorry ..I just cant shut up sometimes .The aliens are boring me on the other posts lol ..what can I say ...I have yet to meet a reptile ..Bushs eyes look like normal eyes to me (even if I think he may be the devil) I dont see the slit in his eyes in a video ..I looked upside down and sideways even ..still didnt see it .And there are so many hurricaines all happening at once that I cant keep up with those threads either ...
At least this thread is deep and I am learning something from it too ..

Well at least you are leaving your options open Wolf.
I am glad to hear that your not just closed off to any of the above.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

But one day I gave up fighting myself and God ..I just gave up and said ok ..you and me ..I cant do this anymore ..I was tired of trying to do things my way THAT NEVER WORKED OUT .
As soon as I did that and gave up my own way and said ok Lord .have you got a better way than this ...he did ..and now my prayers get answered .

This reveals that you have always believed in God. So that doesn't really relate to Truths and my own arguments (and I mean argument, not fight-with-words) about God's existence. With all due respect, it just alludes to the affect that a spiritual being [who's existence is uncertain] has had on your life.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
No Wolf I didnt really believe either .
I claimed to ..And I told myself I did ..but really I didnt .
I thought that someone had to have made us ..But I thought the same way you did .Why did you make me to just suffer ..why are we so miserable and where are you Lord ..come NOW at my whim ..
He did save me many a time when I tempted him .(too long to tell this part)
I got no broken bones .I am still alive ..I am well (Mentally) and I am not ANGRY ......he kept me from destroying myself ...and he didnt allow those men to destroy me .
Which just showed me more how much he loved me.
When I got silent and stopped yelling at him and demanding he show himself to me ..he spoke to me ..and he hasnt stopped ...

I went from that sweet little girl in Alaska to Linda Blair ..lol ..
then back to that girl in Alaska ...she was the one who had childlike faith and just knew someone had to have made all that beauty in Alaska.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

You mean reptilian. I've seen the youtube videos of people (supposedly reptilian) as the camera just keeps defining contrast on their faces ending up with a scaly look. Tis a funny (har-har) occurrence, but what is really funny (strange) is peoples exertions that they rule the world. I'm aware of the Bilderberg/NWO/G.W.Bush=dictator stuff because it's based in reality whereas reptilians seems as fictional as the origins of Scientology but that is a topic for another thread.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Oh hey we agree on something ..lol ..
I have a harder time with the Reptillion stuff than I do with Aliens ..
Even though they could be one and the same ....
I read David Ickies book The Biggest Secret (or something like that )and really I loved it ..until he started talking about them ..Then I couldnt hardly finish the book .
But I did finish reading it and I do believe he has some truths in that book that are really hard to disagree with ...
Have you read that one yet ?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
No I haven't read any of David Ices stuff. I heard his life story and experiences on Coast to Coast AM and though he had an over-active imagination.

Do we believe in God because we need there to be an afterlife?!

To all those atheists, agnostics and ex-christians; how do you reconcile these problems in yourselves?

I obviously didn't hint at it strongly enough but the other major point to this thread in the first place was:
How do you reconcile (or otherwise get past) meaningless in life?

[edit on 9/9/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I believe that they have shown you that already Wolf .
They havent found out anything .
In fact they may be even worse off now than they were before .
Its in their tone ..its in their heart ..it shows in their words ...thats what you have to look forward to.
What do you think ?

Wolf why did you edit your post ?
I really wanted to see what their answers would be .

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Cos I didn't want to be absent for the answers. I re-edited the post so don't worry.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask, you're a mother of a 20 year old, now going by what my mother is like, I have no idea why you frequent these forums. You're obviously not the typical.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Forgive me if this has been said, it's late and 18 pages of reading is something I am just not up for:

I was Christian during a time when I just didn't have anything else to do or believe in, I was very young at the time, I'm 22 now and even as compared I was VERY young. Like you, I have a mind(love) for science and philosophy, so that lead me to question question question, something I still do to this day.

What I've come to believe is that it doesn't matter at all whether or not Jesus existed as a person. It doesn't matter if the prophecies in the bible never come true. It doesn't matter if all of the stories, and I mean ALL of them are fiction. What matters is the teachings. This is a book that outlines a way to live a life that, from what I have seen and experienced, leads to good things. Now these good things often come after many years of torment and angst, but the book covered that too. It's very thorough and I think it's a very important book.

Now as far as I can tell, I will never call myself a Christian. I will never call myself anything for that matter. But, because of my questioning, my overthinking, and my love for education(it's unfortunate that I can't afford school, I do a lot of personal research) I have learned a number of things in the sciences, philosophies, arts, etc. etc. These things have actually lead me back to believe that there is indeed a higher power, it's hard to believe there isn't given the nature of the Universe and the way things are organized. Everything is so mathmatical and beautiful that I have a hard time saying there isn't something.

As far as afterlife goes...I don't think it matters. Live your life for today, be the best person that you can be. Bring joy to others so that they can bring joy to others and eventually the whole world. I think that's what matters.

I hope all of that was coherent....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Good question chap.

I'll offer you this:

Why fear what you cannot change. What shall be shall be... such is destiny. If there is no God, or no afterlife then what can you really do about it? Believing in it will not make it so.

Keep seeking.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Sorry if my post came off a bit harsh. That wasn't my purpose. I just don't understand how people can ignore the things I've brought up. Honestly, I've yet to see one Christian that actually looks at the contradictions and flaws in the Bible and in the idea of an omnipotent God. Even when I point them out, people generally ignore them. I just wish some people could see what I see. And you know what? If God DOES exist, and he sends me to Hell, even though I am desperately looking for the truth and using logic to get me there, then I guess that shows what kind of God he is. If God DOES exist, then surely he wouldn't send me to Hell for using the logic which he gave me. However, according to the Bible, he would. Just think about that.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

Alright, TP. You've made your point.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
I obviously didn't hint at it strongly enough but the other major point to this thread in the first place was:
How do you reconcile (or otherwise get past) meaningless in life?

Life is only meaningless if you make it meaningless. It's a clean slate. Everything is open. Don't worry about life being meaningless, and instead make meaning of your life. No one can make your life make sense but you.

Originally posted by Good Wolf
Alright, TP. You've made your point.

It really doesn't seem like I have. People seem to keep ignoring the points I make and then act like I'm wrong when most don't even address these points. It can be a bit frustrating. So until people give an answer to these contradictions, I'm going to keep bringing them up, and they will keep ignoring it. This seems to be how discussing God's existence on a forum works.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
But that tells me that you are in fact making your point, so the narrow-minded fundamentalist can't respond. They just can't at the risk or recognising your point and then admitting to double-think.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join