It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unidentified symbol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
i have a 10Karat gold pin i got from my grandfather. triangular in shape with slightly rounded sides with a circle, inside the circle is a tall thin building with a ships wheel on one side and an hour glass on the other. the post is threaded for the backing to secure. has anyone seen this pin or heard of it. i'm at a loss for answers and thought i'd try here. any help is much appreciated.

my grandfather was an airforce pilot, flew B52 Bomber in WWII and bombed an oil refinery in Japan. I dont think its a military award but i could be wrong.

m

[edit on 31-8-2008 by mw2474]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hi MW2474,
Welcome to ATS.
Any chance of a picture of the pin? Also how big is the pin?

It sounds Masonic from the description, or it could be from a companies logo.

Do you need help to post a photo?

Havalon

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Havalon,

thank you for the warm welcome and speedy response.

i would like help posting picture. i'll take one now and be ready for reply.

i know he worked for Sears/Robuck (sp?) in the 70's early 80's, but i dont think that has any relevance. after that he was a owned a DriveIN(like old school style with burgers and fries possible roller skates and vintage cars)

m

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mw2474

Hi again MW,
After you have the picture on your computer, open an account with a web photo hosting site such as:

Photobucket:

Then up load your photo.
When you have it on your page on the site, a box appears under the photo.
Click on IMG CODE (this will copy to your clip file,) then paste it (ctlr/v) onto your post.
Good luck!
H

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
H,
thank you again.

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

[edit on 31-8-2008 by mw2474]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Moving from Freshman's forum to General Discussions for a broader input.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here, I re-scaled for a better look.

I have no idea of it's origin though.

Are those birds or eagles on the corners?

Maybe someone with better knowledge could scale it less blurry.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Chukkles]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It looks nautical to me. I am not sure that is a building either. Looks like something a sailor or coast guardsman would have. Also, the birds look like seagulls.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
that looks like the Rotary Club International wheel on the left

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sorry not coing up with anything on searches, do you have any antique stores nearby.
They may beable to help.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Thanks for all the help guys. I've taken a clearer picture. I dont think those are eagles or seaguls but def shaped like a bird. I'm starting to think the thin building is connected to the building behind the symbols.

thanks.

m

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hi mw. I found something similiar to it on ebay. It has the same building/hourglass/ship's wheel. No information on it other than possible insurance/union (?) 15 yr pin. I'll keep looking.

Ebay

Rush

[edit on 31-8-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Having to do with Time Travel? Just feels like it, navigating the ultimate journey.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Having to do with Time Travel? Just feels like it, navigating the ultimate journey.
it might be masonry

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Hi MW,
What area/state are you in?
I was thinking that the thin building (as you suggest) is all one. Kinda reminds me of a prison, sorry! correctional facility! with the hour glass representing 'time' and the wheel similar to a bank vault wheel.

The area would be of assistance if in a similar area to HSUR (Rush's) great find. (Wisconsin)
I definately think both badges/pins are connected!

H

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Arizona is where we're from.(i live in Oregon now but Papa never left AZ but Colorado is where my grandparents lived shortly after the war before moving to Arizona in the 50's

I dont believe he worked for an insurance company. however, he did work for AZ Sherrifs dept toward the end of his life in the late 90's. the pin has been in the family way before that.

I'm thinking that I'm wrong about it the "Ships Wheel." I would imagine the spokes of the ships wheel would extend beyond the circle border. Right? The handles to turn the wheel???? So, prob not ships wheel or Rotary International. (no sprocket or gear type of a look on the out side of the Wheel)

Again, you are all so great to embark on this search with me. thank you.

Rush,
Can you send the link to the pin you found on ebay?

mw

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mw2474

Hi mw. The Ebay link is just under the image in my post. Clicky on the blue "Ebay" and it will take you there. The auction for that pin ended, but scroll down a little and you will still find the image and auction info..

If this building is in Wisconsin maybe a member from there could identify the building?

Rush

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon
and the wheel similar to a bank vault wheel.

You may be on to something. The US Bank building is located in Milwaukee.

Here is a link to a couple of images of the bank building, however, the buildings don't really match up. Hmmm, the mystery continues....

Rush

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It looks like the building has a portcullis, and a draw bridge... So I think that skyscraper is possibly inaccurate.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
is the medalion old or new, most grandmas dont start wearing gold until they get really old.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join