It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share Your Appreciation Of The Cosmos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

I guess you could say that the feeling i get when i notice how intertwined life is here on earth, and then spend all day looking at that, with a brilliant clear night to truly wonder at the stars is the closest thing i'll have (being an atheist) to a religious experience. It makes you feel truly insignificant when you realise that you're just one tiny person on a fragile planet, in an unremarkable section of the cosmos.

Kind of brings an overinflated ego down to earth. I guess politicians should go stargazing more often

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
reply to post by AlexG141989

I guess you could say that the feeling i get when i notice how intertwined life is here on earth, and then spend all day looking at that, with a brilliant clear night to truly wonder at the stars is the closest thing i'll have (being an atheist) to a religious experience. It makes you feel truly insignificant when you realise that you're just one tiny person on a fragile planet, in an unremarkable section of the cosmos.

Kind of brings an overinflated ego down to earth. I guess politicians should go stargazing more often

I know exactly what you mean dude, seeing as how I'm an atheist as well... and we really are so small in this universe, compared to other cellestial objects in this universe. Our planet is like a million times smaller than an ant, when you compare it to the biggest star that we know of so far, which also dwars our sun, and makes it look like a grain of sand. And there may even be bigger stars out there that make the biggest we know of so far, look like nothing. The possibilites are crazy, I love bieng a part of the universe, my only regret when I pass is that I will not have been able to travel through the stars, and meet other civilizations from different planets. I even wanna go to Gliese581 d to see if it really would be habitable for humans. Wow, humans have not even touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exploration. We haven't even fully explored our own planet. Or maybe I'm just going crazy, I dunno... I'm sure people called the first explorers to try to cross the seas crazy...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Oh i don't know, if we're lucky and we don't as a species kill ourselves in the next 50 years we'll probably start to extend out lifespans by enough so that we'll see the beginnings of extra-solar exploration.

~Hopefully, heh

<< 1   >>

join