It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Government databases to verify age on regular websites *warning*

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Holy smoke batman! I love you ... I was afraid there was no one on this site with a working thinking brain. You've made me change my mind!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
You are a liar and an identity thief against your parents. Stay in school bud, you might learn something.

you think i'm a liar, a thief and a child because i can see the really stupid flaw in the age verification system?!? your just a sick twisted troll type aren't you? go on, admit it, you'll feel better.

Scientist, i hadn't tought of bombarding the site with requests, seems a really easy thing to do. i was focusing on the governments end of things, i would like to know what information needs to be sent by the site to avail of this "service" provided by the gov.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Yeah, had planned on staying out of this thread due to the epidemic called lack of common sense when dealing with personal repsonsibility these days, but I was feeling your "pain" and thought I'd throw ya a bone for your efforts.

The thing is fellow posters, if YOU don't like what the government is imposing on you, then YOU have to make the decision based on the question "Is this something worth giving up in order to keep the government out of my personal life?" They are not going to change the rules for YOU. You have to change YOUR rules as you see fit.

sirnex makes very valid points by pointing out that you are bitching about giving out information they already have which is silly in the first place, but it becomes even MORE silly when you are bitching because it has to do with something as trivial as watching a video. Don't watch and you won't have to give your precious personal information that they already have

Again, the lesson of the day is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

[edit on 1-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
reply to post by sirnex

I actually see your point quite well. I would have to say for all those who are whining about this being an invasion of your privacy, there IS a simple solution...

Listen up and maybe even take down notes:

If Y-O-U don't like it, then don't enter your information to view the content.

*gasps* IT really IS that simple

No, I understand. I am just pointing out a dangerous trend, that's all. I most certainly didn't put my info in there.

The fact that you guys keep calling everyone whiners, just speaks volumes about your own maturity. Let's keep it civil.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Again, the lesson of the day is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

How painfully, painfully ironic that statement is.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The biggest danger that I see we are facing these days is lack of common sense by the whiners who don't get what loss of freedom really means.

And let's be honest that you weren't understanding the point very well bc if you had, the whining would have stopped.

Edited to add: Enjoy what you have now because yes, most likely with more and more people expecting the government to "take this or give us that or we can't so you have to and fix us and blah flippity blah" we will see a great loss of personal rights aka personal responsibility and this complaint will have seemed like a cake walk in comparison.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientistLet's keep it civil.

As does this

blah blah blah for 2nd line purposes.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

we will see a great loss of personal rights aka personal responsibility and this complaint will have seemed like a cake walk in comparison.

well, we can agree on something. I'm not smiling about it though, not sure why you are either.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Reading comprehension:

Did you not notice the little thing at the top of the post that says in reply to:

Did you not notice that my reply was towards something you didn't even post?

Where would you get the idea that this was towards you? Are you the same poster as the one I posted to? If this is the case it would just validate my statement even more.

There is only two possibilities here:

One: You can't comprehend what you are reading

Two: You are both the same poster

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientistwell, we can agree on something. I'm not smiling about it though, not sure why you are either.

Listen, I smile because I have MUCH to smile about. I am not locked away somewhere being tortured beyond recognition all because I wanted to sit here and post on a forum what I know is right while working on the side to make the amount of money that keeps me in comfortable living arrangements.

I smile because I have a window open and can breathe in the fresh air without restraint. I can get in my vehicle and go fishing or to see one of my family members or friends.

I am blessed. What do I NOT have to smile about?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Look Scientist,

Your whole argument against the verification system is coming from a child's perspective. Not once have you shown the privacy and freedom issue from an adults perspective given that this information is already freely given by adults on a daily basis to be a functional member of society.

Kids will whine about not being able to view boobies anymore.

Adults will just fill the form to get that fix, or they just won't bother. They won't illogically whine about having to give information out that they already give out on a daily basis.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I will re-attempt to post this when I grow up in a few years. Until then!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
OK Point of view from an Adult's perpective.

If you have to enter your age/ID/security number you are basically legally PROVING that it is indeed YOU viewing the material searched.

If these security measures are put in place on every website,then a viewing pattern/trend can be established with time/date.

This can be used to profile your character from a Psychological/legal POV.. ..INACCURATELY.

If you read a thread here that links to a 'secured' video featuring say.. 'Taliban terrorist threat'..That will be noted.
If you wish simply to gather information/analyse whether or not video is genuine/faked/propaganda/false flag/whatever..It doesn't matter.
You will be profiled as having an 'interest' in terrorist activities.

If you then say view a video on an 'anti war demonstration' report..
Or
Weapon development/testing..
Police operations..

You getting the picture?..

Your viewing habits could very quickly get you on a 'Terrorist watch list'..even if your desire is simply trying to gain knowledge of events that may affect your personal safety.

I appreciate your opinions that we are already being watched and the information given is 'nothing they don't know already'..but you will be effectively proving 'legally' who you are..taking away any doubt/anonymity and ability to plead ignorant if faced with a raid in the small hours.

Edit sp.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I hear you, but I still see that as being your choice whether you log into something that is considered a "terrorist" site or whether you don't.

There is a risk every time I get into my vehicle. I know this and I take that risk almost each and every day.

Quit being so afraid and enjoy what you have now. You could die of perfectly natural causes tonight in your bed (gods forbid, mind you) and would that be the government controlling your life as well?

My outlook on life is this.. I am gonna die one day anyway so I am gonna live my life and enjoy it the way I want while I have the chance without worrying so much about what "the government" aka "they" are doing. That is their business. My life is my business.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

My outlook on life is this.. I am gonna die one day anyway so I am gonna live my life and enjoy it the way I want while I have the chance without worrying so much about what "the government" aka "they" are doing.

right, we call that apathy.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Quit being so afraid..

My life is my business.

Afraid? Aware..let's say.. After all..You don't know which side of the fence I'm on for real.

Can anyone say Naive? Your life is exactly their 'business'.You are their investment and any 'control' you feel you may have is there until they decide to remove it.

You don't honestly think you have freedom of choice do you?
It's been a long long time since I've seen anyone REALLY choose their own way of life.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Flawed for the simple fact that your IP is already logged by ISPs and individual sites. Even this site logs our IPs, so there is already a log by two sources that you have an interest in conspiracy related activities.

Either way we slice and dice it, if a criminal is going to use your information to gain access to something that he/she has not right to access, then that is not an infringement on your freedom.

You don't have a RIGHT to view any of this material. You are PRIVALIGED to view it. Some of this information is not suited to minors and so we implement security measures to keep minors from viewing that content. The fact that people with criminal intent to steal information for ease of access to sites that they have no right to access is what makes the system wrong. It's the people who wish to abuse the laws that are whining about the laws.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Apathy:

1. lack of feeling or emotion (not me by any stretch of the imagination)
2. lack of interest or concern (also not me by any stretch of the imagination)

I just choose not to live in constant fear. Now anger I go through because I can see that ppl's ignorance and misunderstanding of their freedoms will end up costing them to lose more of not only theirs, but mine and my sons' freedom as well.

Can I go overthrow the government right now? Come on.. I have spirit, but have you seen my picture? It would be a hell of a 2 seconds for sure for a couple of ppl AT BEST in the gov't, but then I'm dead.... so that wouldn't be the smart way to go.

I could go march down the streets with my protest sign, but I see that has gotten others REAL far in the way of winning their freedoms

All I can do is decide what personal sacrifices I am willing to take in my own life where "they" are imposing on it and make those sacrifices to rid them of my life.

I have to get places so I don't give up my mode of transportation and all the restrictions that come with it.. I accept it bc in the long run for now, it is beneficial for me to do so.

But I do oppose them in areas where I can and that hold the greatest conviction to what I believe in as far as personal rights.

Other than that, I can look around me and see that I am still blessed and that being angry ALL the time and/or sitting here bitching about things that really are trivial is pointless.

And with that.... do what you want. Keep complaining about things that really are still in your control. Your choice and your right despite how ridiculous it is.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I agree.. privilige certainly. I wish I had the privilige of access to the huge amount of info when I was studying for higher ed.

IP's can be masked.
ID's can be stolen.

If it's just a case of some dumb kids wanted to cop an eyeful of a pair.. It seems a dumb way to go about it.

As already mentioned it should be the parent's responsibility to prevent access..Not the government.

You talk responsibility.. I'm talking the opportunity to TAKE responsibility.

How can you have 'Freedom of choice' otherwise?..If they've already deemed it not your 'responsibility'.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I am chalking up the confusion here to ignorance of the technical ramifications of the process involved with entering in details to be checked against government info.

I can also understand the hostility in this topic, because the conclusions are most certainly that anyone okay with this trend using children as an excuse, are indeed incapable of raising their own children.

If we can get beyond the personal aspect of that, I'm sure they will see the light eventually.

Part of it comes down to the word "responsibility," which keeps coming up. To me, being responsible would be to not release sensitive information on an unsecured website for all to see. Responsibility would also be teaching my children the same.

Also, I am asking you guys to extrapolate the scenario, as Agent has been able to do. This is not about a certain website, or about restricting videos with nudity from children. This is about the constant trend of giving up more and more information about yourself to companies and corporations, and the government. The more you give them, the more they will use, make sure of that. If they didn't care for the information, or didn't make use of it, they wouldn't ask you for it.

Even a kid could comprehend that, no?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join