It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are British Masons and American Masons different?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is something I think about whenever a therad about Masons comes up. I'm an American and my father, grandfather....in fact at least as far back as my thrice great grandfather, the men in my family have been Masons. My own experience has been that they're basically nice guys who try to give back to the community and have a little fun. For the most part, every American Mason with whom I've had contact has been fairly laid back and agreeable.

I spent a semester in college studying at Oxford, and the impression I formed of English Masons was very much different. Part of it, I'm sure, was just xenophobia and a natural inclination to thumb their noses, a bit, at the silly colonial. But their practices did seem to be much more clandestine and the way they treated outsiders seemed more mean-spirited.

Although I don't believe for a moment that the Masons control the world in secret, I do wonder whether anybody can give me insight into lodges worldwide, and maybe they actually are a little more clannish and petulant across the pond. It's entirely possible that this is nothing but the result of my sample size being skewed because I only dealt with a handful of Masons over there who were in a socioeconomic position where they were naturally going to be more snobbish than the average person.

edit--typo fixed

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Leo Loeb]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well, I'm pretty sure that it's dependant on the person. Speaking as someone who's only really read some of the thrreads here on ATS, I am aware that some of the rituals are different, as is the construction of the lodge. I believe in America it's not required to have a checkered floor.
But that's off the top of my head, I know here in the states things can vary a pretty good bit by jurisdiction, so I imagine it varies a bit as well accross the pnd.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear that your expirience was less than great. I only hope that you travel around to different lodges and try to meet more people. I have yet to meet a mason I didn't like.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There seem to be a lot of differences in English and American masonry.

The 'Hiram Key' books are focused on British Freemasonry and a lot of the stuff he talks about I have never experienced.

I think the goals are the same, but the way we do things seems to be a lot different.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Loeb

American Masons where never punished, persecuted or treated as bad as European Masons..

The result being European Masons kept much of their "secrecy" because it was necessary. Many lodges in the UK and Ireland are small, hidden away in unlikely spots. Like above pubs. From my understanding they don't wear rings or anything like that like we do in America (which we where rings, tattoos and plaster our cars with symbols .. real secret society lol)

Nothing sinister.. imo it's just a cultural difference.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mason mike
I have yet to meet a mason I didn't like.

Mike, have you ever met Rockpuck?

(Rockpuck I jest. I jest.)

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Hi Leo

British and American freemasons are about as different as British and American people - I should know - I am all 4.

Freemasonry in the US is certainly more "open" than it is in the UK - historical reasons have already been cited but to be honest this is as much to do with National Character as anything else. Some English do tend to be a bit snobby about Americans - this is of course the manifestation of an inferiority complex

In all seriousness - sounds like you had a bad experience. However if you are a Republican that would explain the cool reception.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

American Masons where never punished, persecuted or treated as bad as European Masons..

The result being European Masons kept much of their "secrecy" because it was necessary. Many lodges in the UK and Ireland are small, hidden away in unlikely spots. Like above pubs. From my understanding they don't wear rings or anything like that like we do in America (which we where rings, tattoos and plaster our cars with symbols .. real secret society lol)

Nothing sinister.. imo it's just a cultural difference.

Thanks, that explanation makes a lot of sense. It wasn't exactly that I had any bad experience with the British, they were just far less friendly and less inclined to be very chummy and open. Overt persecution and mistrust certainly will do that, though.

It always seemed like their selection criteria may be a tad more elitist, too, although I'm not sure. Most of the European Masons I met were either loaded, from Good Families, or both, whereas in America it seems like we have a much wider mix of people from different walks of life. Of course this is all based on a small sample size in England taken from a particular university and surrounding area that's very much given to snobbery and elitism.

Either way, you probably hit the nail on the head.

new topics

top topics

join