It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Signal" almost reality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just from looking at the responses to my other thread, I am reminded of something else I have been noticing lately. If anyone has seen the movie, "The Signal." then you might disagree. Not that I think we are being massively hypnotized but, people seem to be growing irrationally angry. I mean look at the threads on here. Almost every single one has an argument that pretty much begins out of nothing but one person just "snapping" for no reason. Example:

"look at these NASA pics, I see a building here on Neptune."

"Really? All I can see is blurry jagged shadows."

"Screw you!!!!!! We true ATSers are so sick of you fake 'debunkers' coming in here with you claims of 'I dont see anything' with no evidence to back it up. Keep trying to derail and I will report you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

or

"I saw that 'Mythbusters' special on the moon landing. It did not convince me. I have seen better evidence that the U.S. did not go to the moon that they did not even touch."

"If you hate this country so much and think it is run by liars, why dont you pack yer bags and go. We dont need people like you here trying to poke holes in every great achievement of our 'wicked evil' government"

"you mean people that freely express their opinions about anything they like?"

"You don't have any proof. Stop being so immature and bashing this country with baseless lies. Time to go buddy. You are the last kind of person we need here."

"Right, ok by the way, I am from and in the UK. But thanks for telling me to leave your country for expressing my opinion on an open forum from mine."

"MOD NOTE: ALLRIGHT PEOPLE. SETTLE DOWN."

But seriously, the tail gaiting thing. Look at road rage. Think about how often you succumb to it these days.

Are we just getting more aggressive as a people?
Maybe more tense?
Maybe something else that manifests itself this way, like afraid? Maybe all the financial insecurity and BS fears of terrorist everyday are making people more on edge. I do not have any stats or anything to back any of this up, that is why it is in the gray area. It is just something I was thinking while watching that movie. Awesome, totally underrated flick btw.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Good thread. Never saw "The Signal", Ill check it out.

Most people are so consumed in their personal bull**** that they just end up taking all of their frustrations out on some unsuspecting person, be it a stranger, family, or friend.

As for the ATS part, sometimes I think that people act differently on this site then they ever would in the real world. Again, I think (of many theories) that its pent up frustrations. Or theyre acting out the person that they really want to be. Be it a pompous ass or a tough guy, for example.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Its a nice break from a lot of the crap. It also makes you think a bit.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
yes there have been members on ats who are complaining of there emotions being messed with,like its not them.

heres one example.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BloodRedSky

Bullcrap!! How dare you! Where the heck do you get off in telling me...oh wait. sorry. Yeah I was gonna post the synopsis of the movie but i did not want to seem like i was promoting anything, but it is pretty cool. I mean even if the premise has to be overlooked or at least the catalyst of the story, it is a great little look at mass hysteria at it's worst.
There is definitely something about this place. It seems to go a long way toward giving false egos to people. I see people treat strangers like crap because they are labeled the "Something" expert, or some other such nonsense title. People get real mean here, myself included. But I think, at least from here, this is just a microcosm of something bigger; maybe more subtle but bigger.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiamanicus

Haha, youre silly.

But yeah, I completely agree that this place brings out the worst in some people. I think theyre just trying to compensate for how they want to act in real life, but dont.

Its because they cant physically see or hear the person. If it was a face-to-face Im sure that things would be a bit more polite. Its palpable, you can just feel it.

And yes, some lame ass title does seem to boost the ego exponentially. Some people just have a superiority complex. Again though, in a real life situation we would undoubtably see a completely different person.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BloodRedSky

I am just worried about the fact that it is translating to the real world. At least it seems to me like people just snap soooo much more easily these days than ever before. I do not know if road rage is up but it sure seems like it to me. I know my own is. I dunno, maybe it is my imagination. I do not see angry people everywhere I go, I just see people totally lose it so much faster than I remember.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I dont think so, theres new drivers hitting the roads every single day. New drivers equal new personalities (and inexperience which can be very annoying to others).

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BloodRedSky

I dont think so, theres new drivers hitting the roads every single day. New drivers equal new personalities (and inexperience which can be very annoying to others).

Why do you suppose it is that so many new drivers do not use blinkers or pay attention to blinkers and tailgate so much?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Either theyre naive and unaware of how their actions are affecting other drivers or simply inexperienced.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by BloodRedSky]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Awesome movie!!!!!!!
It was scary, sad, thought provoking, violent, suggestive, funny, just all around entertaining. Sometimes I go out to do my shopping or whatever errands I have for the day and by the time I am halfway through, I hate EVERYONE. I usually think, this jerk did that, that jerk said this, these jerks are pissing me off cuz of this and so on and so on. What if it is just me, what if I just think everyone else sucks because something is wrong in my head?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yes, it was a really good movie. Not in that Oscar winning kind of way but not in that Evil Dead II kind of way either. It was way to good for the exposure it got though.

please forgive, I could not figure out how to embed it. What is the youtube video number?

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Pruflas75]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The youtube video number is that string of letters & numbers that appears after "watch?v="

In this case the ''number'' is 6xJgvhxixeg.
Some videos can be chosen to prevent embedding, in which case it won't work.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

Cool, thanks. I know it was probably a stupid question.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pruflas75
Cool, thanks. I know it was probably a stupid question.

Nah, it's just that the pop up window phrased it in a weird way, asking for a number when there's only letters & numbers lol.

Anyway I'm downloading The Signal right now, haven't seen it so I can't comment on the OP yet.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-

Nah, it's just that the pop up window phrased it in a weird way, asking for a number when there's only letters & numbers lol.

Anyway I'm downloading The Signal right now, haven't seen it so I can't comment on the OP yet.

Yeah I never knew what the google video number was either. Letters and numbers is fine but i had no idea which ones from the entire page they meant, so thanks from me too. I hope you will stop back after you watch it and less us know what you think. Not just about the movie but if any of it resembled the world to you at all, if mayber on a hyper level. Enjoy it.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Heh thanks I guess. I just finished watching it.

My first thoughts are that the OP's comparison with this ''rude'' ats behaviour and The Signal is a bit of an exaggeration.

Whereas in The Signal they basically get brainwashed to think that killing is Okay, here it's usually just the ''new generation'' of morals and principles which includes less respect and the such, but by no means do you see people suddenly hitting eachother in the face for no reason. They just become more loudmouthed.

That, and on the internet many people are more inclined to turn into what is known as "Internet Warriors".

At my school too, there are all kinds of ''tough guys'' however, their size decreases with each generation, as such we have ''midget'' freshmen at our school that act like they're the gangstah. If there is a connection, I do not know.

Also with each generation you can see that they get high-tech gadgets at lower ages. Little kids that go to primary school walking around with cellphones, PDA's, MP3-players. Again, if there is a connection between ''being spoilt'', and turning more rude, I do not know.

However I think these things are just caused by the way society handles itself, not by a third party that influenced them.

So more rude / aggressive people than before, yes, it resembles The Signal.
To that extent or by those means? No, not at all.

Note that small fights do occur more often at my school lately, but they are more of the ''noobing around'' kind where they're more playing than actually fighting. And again, they only occur between new generation kids, rather than the old ones.

All in all I think the proper way to say it would be: An increase in (verbal!) aggression in the *newer* generations, as many of the old ones remain the same.

p.s: I related most with that rational landlord guy in the movie, I thought he was the coolest character lol.

[edit on 1/9/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The answer is pretty simple. The world is too crowded. Life has become cheap and we have become desensitized to violence. No one cares anymore, and why should we? Humans are a dime a dozen.

We appreciated each other more when there were fewer of us; we appreciated each other more when we needed each other.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
The answer is pretty simple. The world is too crowded. Life has become cheap and we have become desensitized to violence. No one cares anymore, and why should we? Humans are a dime a dozen.

We appreciated each other more when there were fewer of us; we appreciated each other more when we needed each other.

The thing is, I notice a very distinct difference between newer generation humans and older generation humans.
Even people born in 1989~1991 (like me, 1989) are way less rude compared to those born a few years later.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
80's babies UNITE!

Haha.

But yeah, "gangsters" are getting smaller and smaller, lamer and lamer.
That is one trend Ive noticed.

But its always the "gangster" kids that are the biggest p*****s.
They talk a big game and usually have their "boyzz" to back them up, but all in all, theyre lame ass p*****s. So even if they were getting more aggressive it wouldnt even matter. Haha its like getting bit by a goldfish.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

I did not mean that the movie was literally what was happening. Sorry if I gave that impression. i did say,

Not that I think we are being massively hypnotized but, people seem to be growing irrationally angry.
I thought i was making it clear that watching the movie made me think about it but the movie is much more extreme and i do not think it is mass hypnosis. The movie just stuck in my head over the next few weeks as I watched so many just really lose their tempers over nothing at all. Glad you enjoyed it though. I cannot imagine anything ever getting that bad. There was an X-files that followed a similar vein but more on a one person at a time kind of scale. I just think people are really getting to be on edge alot lately and that movie was almost a fun house mirror of the people I come into contact with everyday.

<<   2 >>

join