It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin booed for mentioning Hillary Clinton

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
And there you have it. It took all of a day for everybody to realize the cinical, naive, and insulting way the GOP has made their VP pick. I can't believe she keeps bringing Clinton up.

WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) – This might not be the best way to reach out to those disillusioned Hillary Clinton supporters.

In just her second appearance on the campaign trail with John McCain, newly-minted GOP running mate Sarah Palin was showered with boos on Saturday for attempting to praise Clinton’s trail-blazing bid to become the first female president.

As she did at in her debut speech in Ohio yesterday, Palin appealed to the women in the crowd here in Pennsylvania with a political shout-out to Geraldine Ferraro, who preceded Palin as the first women to be tapped as a vice presidential candidate. The reference was met with polite applause.
CNN

Yikes. Does anyone have Romney's number?

[edit on 8/30/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Because McCain is playing demographics! Who difficult is that to grasp? Some unknown in the unknown country, 44 years-young, are you kidding plucky! And I'm not yelling, yelling at you; you know I love you, but I am yelling at you.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I wouldn't immediately read too much into that. Partisan crowds quite often will boo a gracious gesture toward an opposing party candidate. Remember, that crowd is going to be Republican, not Democrat.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Apparently the boos were both for Palin trying to compare herself to Clinton and at the mention of Hillary's name itself, if that makes sense.

Either way, I think she just best stay clear of the whole Hillary thing. It's just gonna get people more and more upset.

[edit on 8/30/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think just the mention of Clinton's name brought the boo's. Or Palin trying to lower herself by comparing herself to Clinton might have brought the boo's?

I guess it depends on the crowd?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Interesting that the idea of bringing Clinton supporters to McCain side with Sarah Barracuda is going to backfire in McCains face.

Sarah is too volatile and politically inexperience to deal with the scorn of a big crowd of people.

I think that very soon they will just keep Sarah's mouth shut for damage control.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
i think they were just booing at the mention of hitlerys name

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
She's using Hillary. Using her name to align herself with the women whose votes they are trying DESPERATELY to win. I should hope she would get booed. She's stepping on Hillary's head and using her name to climb the ladder. I'm telling you, the women of this country are not as stupid as the McCain Camp thinks they are.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually I feel kind of surprise how they are parading her uterus for political gain.

She is been used and she is actually loving it.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
but what about obama using Biden for the experience vote? no ones saying anything about that.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
While Obama is supplementing himself with experience still Mrs. Sarah can never compare with Obama self confidence.

Now McCain just took a big step backward choosing Sarah for VP, she is not bringing anything to McCain but future headaches.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

i think they were just booing at the mention of hitlerys name

A few things wrong with this statement.

#1. its a one liner, cmon now

#2. Really? Bastardized name calling? Please try be a little more mature...

Now -

What i find most entertaining about Palins speech is this:

Hillary was talking about breaking a glass ceiling to get a woman to be PRESIDENT

...Palin is going to try to be VICE President...

and its not the first time a woman has been a VP pick either...

• 1884 Marietta Lizzie Bell Stow, United States of America
    She was the running-mate of Belva Ann Bennett Lockwood of the The Equal Rights party.
  • 1924 Nominated for Vice-President of the Democratic ticket Lena Jones Sporing, United States of America
    She recieved 38 votes.
  • 1932 Florence Garvin, United States of America
    National candidate for Vice President of the United States. Candidate for U.S. Representative from Delaware in 1924.
  • 1954 Yun Young Sim, South Korea
    In 1954. In 1960 she was Presidential candidate.
  • 1976, 1980 and 1984 Angela Yvonne Davis, United States of America
    Ran for vice-President alongside Communist Presidential candidate Gus Hall in both the 1980 and 1984 elections. Today, Angela Davis remains an advocate of penal reform and a staunch opponent of racism and classism in the Justice System.(b.1944-)

Full List (and source)
There are a LOT more - please visit the source to see the full list

So...what glass ceiling is she trying to shatter? It certainly wasnt the same one as Hillary - and if its being a female VP candidate, its already happened.

So, if Mrs. Palins words are true :

It was rightly noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America...

... but it turns out the women of America aren't finished yet and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all.

source

Then Mrs. Palin is telling us that the highest ceiling for a woman is VP and she'll never be good enough for President...

Either that - or she knows that if McCain is elected, he'll be assassinated so she can be president......

either way :

Why on earth would she make such a statement?

My guess is:

THAT is why she got boo'd

[edit on 8/30/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
but what about obama using Biden for the experience vote? no ones saying anything about that.

....why would they :shk:

"oh - why in the hell would you pick someone who knows what they are doing!?

WE WANT A BEAUTY QUEEN who could be a contestant on American Idol for christs sake!!!

Wow. The things people like you have resorted to over the last 8 years astounds me

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

If you think that's why she was booed, you'd be wrong. She was cheered when she made that statement yesterday in Ohio. Here is the video:

The statement begins at around 3:10

They react a little tepidly at first at the mention of Hillary, but it is quickly followed by several seconds of loud cheering when she delivers that line about breaking the glass ceiling. Its a different event, yes, but shows that Republicans did warmly receive that line earlier. What changed? Its most likely that it was simply a change in the local attitudes toward Hillary Clinton among Republican voters in the respective areas.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

....why would they :shk:

"oh - why in the hell would you pick someone who knows what they are doing!?

WE WANT A BEAUTY QUEEN who could be a contestant on American Idol for christs sake!!!

Wow. The things people like you have resorted to over the last 8 years astounds me

i dont think you understand what im talking about..... Obama has little experience which is why he picked biden. but obamas all about politics of the new and change. why pick biden if hes old and been in politics 35 years????? because obama has little experience and wanted to pick someone with a lot to offset the fact obama has NONE

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

The external quote portion of the OP covers Ohio.
This is a different event.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

Why pick Biden?
For one, as opposed to Mr McCain's pick, he is actually qualified.

For a more thorough explanation may I refer you to: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Though the first reason should suffice.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You're right, it is a different event, But in both cases, it is a Republican crowd. One reacts positively, the other negatively. Why? Did they suddenly turn on Palin or her message? Its doubtful.

The most likely reason is that they booed at the mention of Hillary. She's not exactly popular among rank-and-file Republicans, regardless of the fact that the Republican establishment is trying to earn the vote of Hillary supporters.

Until we have video of the event and can determine exactly when the crowd began to boo, it would seem the most likely explanation, especially when the McCain campaign is claiming that they've taken in $7 million in the last 36 hours or so and the polls that have been released (Zogby, Rasmussen and Gallup) all show strong Republican support for Palin.

EDIT: Just to add more credence to the idea that they were booing Hillary, look at the original CNN article. It actually indicates this quite clearly. It states that she was booed when she praised Clinton's grace and determination. It then turns right around and says that she 'quickly recovered' when she recited that glass ceiling line. That certainly seems to indicate that they reacted to that line positively.

They were booing the praising of Hillary and not Palin herself. Note that it also appears that she was NOT booed for mentioning Geraldine Ferraro when again, one could argue that it was obvious pandering.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Biden isnt runnning for president so it doesnt matter if he has experience or not. obama is and that is where the problem lies. the ticket needs to be switched

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Swatman]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Biden isnt runnning for president so it doesnt matter if he has experience or not. obama is and that is where the problem lies. the ticket needs to be switched

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Swatman]

It sure does, but it looks like you're stuck with Palin.

Oh well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join