It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Its Image. Computer That might prevent death in the future!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vector J
reply to post by rickyrrr

Some great thoughts there ricky.

On the gradual replacement theory, what if the gradual replacement is of parts not your own, when do you stop being you? It's like transplants, they will bever be your cells, all you are doing is feeding part of somebody else what it needs to survive to help you survive or go about your daily tasks. Can you ever consider that to be part of you?

The whole topic is extremly thought provoking...

I can imagine it now, a robotic heart with Microsoft heart software: "Error, your heart has encountered a problem, heart shutting down"

[edit on 31-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
By the way I love this thread, this is my favourite subject! Sci-fi we have read in books or watched in movies coming from the imagination of humans becoming reality.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vector J

On the gradual replacement theory, what if the gradual replacement is of parts not your own, when do you stop being you? It's like transplants, they will bever be your cells, all you are doing is feeding part of somebody else what it needs to survive to help you survive or go about your daily tasks. Can you ever consider that to be part of you?

In regards to natural replacement, you're already undergoing this process. The body you inhabit right now is largely not the same body you inhabited five years ago. The raw materials which make up your body are constantly being swapped in and out via the ingestion of raw materials and the expulsion of waste/shedding/exhalation/ect. Almost everything that made you -YOU- five years ago is dead and gone. So really, what's the difference between swapping out a natural part for an artificial one? The traditional image of the ego's attachment to a particular physical form is something we will have to deal with in future. We will have to start differentiating each other and expressing our own unique individuality on a consciousness level - not a physical one.

To a certain point, this is already occurring as well thanks to the internet.

My body does not make me me. My consciousness does.

So if you merge your mind with the creativity machine, does that process make you something other than your original self?

This is a question in which we can only speculate at this time, but I would think the answer would be both yes and no. Merging with an intelligent machine would certainly augment your natural human abilities - including your mind - far beyond what it's currently capable of. Whether or not you decide to utilize this potential would decide on whether or not you become a new person or stay the same. It's called growing. As you went from a child to man, you certainly changed quite a bit - and you are both simultaneously the same person you were as a child and now someone completely different. I don't think the merger with intelligent machines should be feared as losing ones self - but should be embraced as a change to become more than what you currently are.

Or when your last brain cells have died and all the remains is the machine with whatever part of you that exists as part of it?

This is a hard question to answer as well, because we don't not fully understand consciousness. Is it simply a particular configuration of neural pathways, or is it some sort of emergent property of parallel networking in general, and the neural pathways only shape that consciousness? It's hard to say for certain at this point. Should it ever come to the point, however, where we learn that you NEED to have a certain percentage of your brain still biological to maintain consciousness - then we may have to come up with some creative solutions. I'm not sure if brain cells are immortal, or if they are susceptible to death. I know they do not divide and reproduce, and thus, are not subject to telomere damage that is the prime cause of aging. Certain problems arise in the brain with long lifespans - such as Alzheimer's disease. We may have to utilize nanomachines for regular maintinence of our brains to clean the plaque off and prevent diseases like Alzheimers - or to selectively replace existing dead brain cells with stem cells and ensure they grow back in place with the proper connections.

Btw: I haven't watched the video yet. I'll comment on that later.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
me, "hey internet"
internet, "yeah buddy"
me, "you wanna kick it tonight"
internet, "rock on main ill bring the beer"
me, "but internet you dont have a body"
internet, "thanks for reminding me #er"

sorry i couldnt resist, but that would be so cooooooooool

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
reply to post by kcfusion

The only thing that kinda bothered me was how when you die, you could live on in cyberspace. What if you get caught in a glitch??

People have been doing just that since the beginning of time, glitches and all
No need for plug-ins, cables or power outlets.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by AdAstra]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I'm not convinced you read most of the thread there buddy, we'd been talking about the nature of conciousness, and I was replying to ricky, who had stated about the regeneration of the human body, and I was creating a thought experiment from that. But thanks for the comments buddy, you made brilliant points about brain ceels, I keep forgetting that generally they don;t actually reproduce as normal cells do. This is the most stimulating discussion I've had on ATS in a while!...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Everyone is really making some amazing points! The way everyone is analyzing the video and getting something out of it, regardless if its a pro or a con, is really a testament to how ATS is a community of creative thinkers, not just a bunch of "Conspiracy Theorists". I think everyone deserves a thumbs up for this one!!

Who needs a Creativity Machine when you got ATS?!

[edit on 31-8-2008 by KaginD]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
fascinating. In the mean time, i'm going to be purchasing stock in Skynet.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is a great video. I watched the entire thing and still I would rather not live forever. Death is a part of our human existence, no matter if our consciousness lives beyond it or not. With the rate of speed that those Creativity Machine's process things there's no telling how fast or slow time would feel like it passed once a part of it. What if millenniums flew by seeming like seconds?

Even if time did pass normally once a part of one I would still rather not have any part of it.

However they are VERY useful for other matters, such as concept design and planning like mentioned in the video.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vector J
In the end, when dealing with questions of morality with machine intelligences, we will eventually decide based on the machines ability to appeal to our empathy: If the machines themselves can make a good case for their own consciousness and recognition, whether by arguing with us, or by having the strength to defend themselves, or cry and scream when hurt, then we will treat them like "conscious entities". If they don't scream and cry when unplugged, we will do it with no remorse, for better or worse, just like we kill a fish and feel little or no remorse.

-rrr

Appealing to our empathy is a big part, and its something disgusting I think if it happens. Emulating emotions like crying or screaming is incredibly manipulative. Emotions are distinctly human and a robot or AI would have no need for them, other than trying to sway people into thinking a certain way.

I think it comes down to independence and dependence. Some people seem to want to keep themselves normal while still utilizing the technology to some extent. I think similarly that AI needs to develop away from humans, the goal shouldn't be for AI to become human in thought/emotion. If a thinking AI ever developed, who's to say what it would want? We seem to project ourselves into what a AI would want, but there's no telling what something like that would want because we only know ourselves. An AI might have no desire at all for anything, those desires that we think they would want come from us. Sort of like how we view typically view physical death. Some seem to think if we threaten to delete an AI, that it will start crying or whatever like a human would, but who's to say that it might just say "go for it". Hmm, complicated subject lol.

Another thing that sort of bugs me are these groups of people that think offers some sort of immortality, it doesn't. As soon as your microchips are fried, you will be in the recycling bin. If you live a million years, or 10 years extra from this technology then die, what is the difference for these people? Nothing, there is no use in the technology for this purpose.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Typical human crap.
Soon we'll wipe ourselves out.

*Play's Terminator2 music*

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Dude! Thank you so much! I watched this video about a year ago and i could never remember the title. Ive been arguing with my brother for almost a year over the existence of this technology. Thank you, thank you, thank you you've earned me 200 euro so a star and a flag for you! Its also where i got my signature!

[edit on 31-8-2008 by MarkAkaSilent]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What I can see happening is that this model is applied to nanoneurons or nanuerons, these naneurons flood the brain and each one attaches to a corresponding neuron. Overtime each naneuron one by one clones and replaces your real neurons. This is all seamless and you do not even notice it. Each real neuron is shut down and the naneuron remains. Eventually all your neurons are gone and you now exist in your naneuronal net essentially making you a digital sentient being. Your naneuronal net can then be transferred to various bodies, machines or machine worlds and exist indefinitely.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
Typical human crap.
Soon we'll wipe ourselves out.

*Play's Terminator2 music*

Or maybe it's typical for human, when people always assume the worse, instead of trying to focus on a better more exciting future.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Where are the other posters? If anyone thinks this is the way forward...I feel extremely sorry for you.

I don't even know where to begin in responding to this video and this technology.

I will say this though...the human being is not made up of a brain a lone.

This man does not know how things work. Biological death is not death.

I don't know where to begin to explain this and other things, I do not know if I should, I do not know if I want to, nor do I know if it matters that I do.

I will say this though, if these creations become a worldly popular...I suggest that you be prepared for an era of chaos and pain.

He believes in consciousness and that it is everywhere...which IS the right direction he's heading in. The way he's going about it though...is horribly wrong. He seems to truly care for man kind and helping us, but...he is an idealist and can only see as far as he wants to. If his work is successful, he would be greatly disappointed and I can promise him, you and the entire world that.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have just watched the doc, and really it says it all for me at the begining.

It begins

"Something of immense consequence has arrived in the world, In a very stealthy mode" Although it hasn't registered on the radar screens of the world, It's about to have a major impact upon all realms of human thought."

Know it may be just me
but if I read between the lines on this he seems to be saying is , " We are about to implement a paradigm altering event upon th entire planet, this has been planned and tested in secret, but the time has now arrived to implement it.

I found the documentary nothing more than Trans Humanist propaganda. At times it felt like I was watching an episode of Desperate house wifes, when ever the woman who was doing the voice over spoke. Did anyone else notice the resemblance of Dr Trans Humanist to Data from Star Trek !!, or has my neural net malfunctioned and in need of an upgrade ?

When it comes down to brass tacks , what this guy is saying to me is "Take the chip, you will love it, you can even have immortality". I think I've heard these promises somewhere else before, don't you ?

So as far as I'm concerned he can take his Imagitrons and his Perceptrons and shove them firmly up his Recmtron.

sty

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Top 10 my fav. videos on the subject
I hope you will enjoy it.

Link 1

link 2

link 3

link 4

link 5

link 6

link 6

link 7

link 8

link 9

link 10

[edit on 31-8-2008 by sty]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Here's a thought. Consider the way people behave and how they treat eachother. They seek power and control, and abuse and manipulate eachother. Imagine if this was happening inside a computer! How would you like to be a slave? Or have a billion clones of yourself serving as slaves inside some control freak's infinite software loop, tortured and abused over and over again at trillions of cycles per second, until the end of time! Welcome to HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!11

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Distractions4Nothing
Here's a thought. Consider the way people behave and how they treat eachother. They seek power and control, and abuse and manipulate eachother. Imagine if this was happening inside a computer! How would you like to be a slave? Or have a billion clones of yourself serving as slaves inside some control freak's infinite software loop, tortured and abused over and over again at trillions of cycles per second, until the end of time! Welcome to HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!11

What if the Creativity Machine is internet based completely? They are trying to censor the internet big time. Can you imagine the problems we would have in a world like that??? We think we are bing censored now?? Just wait.

sty

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Distractions4Nothing

lol, are you sure it is not already happening?
well, in my opinion we will have loads of steps before this could happen..

1) artifficial organs
2)artifficial body (brain transplanted to a machine)
3)re-engineering of the genome.Human-computer brain fussion
4)brain transferr into artifficial brain

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join