It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Its Image. Computer That might prevent death in the future!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I believe we can teach a computer to think what worries me is can we teach it to feel. we have problems teaching this to our kids. we have people with absolutely no conscience rumming around now do we want to add machienes to that list as well?

just a thought

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
not a good idea....at all.
this reminds me of the scene in wargames where they have to
force the machine, joshua, to realize the futility of its course of action
by playing a game of tic-tac-toe with it. but that's assuming it will
always function correctly and not have the judgement side (which would tell it when its actions were inapprorpriate) be over ridden by the creative side.

what a mess.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is a load of utter crap? Its a bunch of rambling nothing.

This guy reminds me of Steve Jobs.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

well from what i concluded, he was saying he created a computer with a brain. it has two boxes that run it. one box absorbs information and creates connections between the information, finds patterns and so on. the other side, looks for inconsistencies, incorrect logic, wrong math, etc. in short, he mimicked the function of a human brain - right creative, left logic.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is a load of utter crap? Its a bunch of rambling nothing.

This guy reminds me of Steve Jobs.

There is always room for doubt. I don't get mad at anyone for thinking differently then I do. Are there any particular things in the video that you disagree with? I know you said the whole thing sounds like crap to you, but is there a particular part that made you feel this way?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

We are more than thoughts, emotions and the ability to create art. We are not just some meat computer and there are some dark things out there that have been trying to talk the masses into believing we are just a "thing" for quite sometime now.

Dont buy into it. I have been to the "other side" and it is not a computer program. Look for the synchronicity in life and unplug yourselves from the mass media mindthink machine. We are all one and of one. The elite want the masses to forget who they are so they can have full power.

Just as fire transforms things to soot and smoke, all living things transform to something else. One must stare into the abyss before one can see.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Here's the embedded version:

Google Video Link

Once computers are able to program better than humans and the number of flops per second increase to higher than the human brain it should really take off.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
reply to post by KaginD

We are more than thoughts, emotions and the ability to create art. We are not just some meat computer and there are some dark things out there that have been trying to talk the masses into believing we are just a "thing" for quite sometime now.

Dont buy into it. I have been to the "other side" and it is not a computer program. Look for the synchronicity in life and unplug yourselves from the mass media mindthink machine. ....

Speaking of weird synchronicity look at the US patent number at 12:11 into the video....US 5.656.666.....!?

HA!!666!HA
Made me laugh!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
reply to post by KaginD

Dont buy into it. I have been to the "other side" and it is not a computer program. Look for the synchronicity in life and unplug yourselves from the mass media mindthink machine. ....

Speaking of weird synchronicity look at the US patent number at 12:11 into the video....US 5.656.666.....!?

HA!!666!HA
Made me laugh!

Nice! I didn't even catch that!! lol

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
But, like you said, it could be extremely bad for humanity if the wrong person gets a hold of it.

If "wrong hands" were to get ahold of it, think about the most likely suspects that would have the means to take it...Such as a government or a Big Corp conglomerate. That would be analogous to death by slow, painful, wasting disease for the rest of humanity. An even more insidious complication may be possible, even if it remained in the right hands...Gradually, humanity as a whole may grow too lazy to keeping thinking for themselves.

Originally posted by sty
Very interesting stuff, i hope it is not for the elites only but I feel it will be. great post, starred , flagged etc

Who else could have possibly be wealthy enough for the funding for it to get this far? So of course, when the actual prototype is fully functional, who's going to claim it?

Originally posted by KaginD
The only thing that kinda bothered me was how when you die, you could live on in cyberspace. What if you get caught in a glitch?? lol

And don't forget that every new design has some "bugs" in it!

Worse yet, what about getting caught in an infinite loop? That might be analogous to someone in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's.

Originally posted by caballero
I guess my biggest fear is that we will lose the ability to see the beauty of simple natural things, and we will lose individual thought. I fear singularity.

Aren't most (if not all) religions concerned with the end result of spiritually "joining" the singularity? My biggest beef with religion is when it's a big organized religion...Once they get so far, religious doctrines become chains. Yet, I think your concern, judging from your post, is that you fear joining a man-made artificial singularity. IMO, indoctrinated organized religion is a man-made artifice also...This is why I consider myself Faithful, but not Religious.

Originally posted by sty
there is an entire culture on this subject, it is caled " post humanism"

When the self-proclaimed "elite" of the world is considered, I think we still have some way to go in learning how to be Human before we make a push for becoming Post-Human. Especially considering that it's the same "elite" that are most likely to get control of the machine first...When those are the same "sub-humans" that still need to take the step to becoming "human" first.

I think I should clarify my meaning of this a bit: "Human" to me means someone who is more fairly balanced between intellect, emotion & spirit. "Sub-human" is one who hasn't achieved that balance yet...The self-styled "elite" fall into this category.

I'm all for it (at least so far), if it'll be used to help humanity, but there's also the factor of normal human frailties involved here...For example, is there any human being on Earth with the wisdom to manage its operation properly? Yeah, there's a lot of smart people in the world, but think of it this way...if humans create a "god," would we have the "godly wisdom" it would take to be able to handle it? Is our "wisdom" an equal par with our "intelligence?" These are two seperate human factors that don't always balance out.

Just because we can do something like this, does it always follow that we should? After all, so far in history, our technology has been outstripping our desire to make our toys "eco-friendly"...Note the amounts of industrial pollution in our world, for example. For another example, the combined nuclear arsenal in the world is enough to lay waste to all surface life on the planet literally dozens of times over.

This is where the question of "wisdom" enters the picture...So far, human history shows that we're more likely to use something like that computer as some kind of a weapon before it gets used for peace. Albert Einstein also had that problem with his theories in Physics...He wanted to use his theories to create cheap energy for humanity. When the "elite" used his theories to commit mass murder, he cried.

If I was the one who came up with an idea like that, I would've funded the development myself & put it to peaceful use before "announcing" it & letting any "elite" find out about it or steal control of it from me. This is the difference between intelligence & wisdom: These intelligent scientists were smart enough to build it, but not wise enough to keep it under wraps before it was ready for peaceful use...And since the scientists were probably funded by "elite" backing, how much longer will it be before control of the machine gets taken from them?

[edit on 31-8-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Once computers are able to program better than humans and the number of flops per second increase to higher than the human brain it should really take off.

Not really. In fact, computers have more processing ability than human neurons do already. Human neural connections are only in the 200 millisecond range... not the gigaflop range. And there's only 10 billion neurons or so in the human brain -- you can easily put together a machine (like Big Blue or one of the distributed processing machines) to top out that.

So what's the huge difference? Quite a bit, actually

For instance, humans make "fuzzy logic set" choices. To a machine, someting that is 5 feet tall will either be "tall" or "not tall" -- have a given quality. To humans, a grass blade that is 5 feet tall will be "tall" but a human 5 feet tall will be "short" and an elephant 5 feet tall will be a "minature."

We think in English (the readers of this board) and this results in some interesting things that machines can't duplicate... things called "word chunking" and "association" that embodies things like humor or clever dialogue. A machine couldn't create a "hillbilly hickster" character for a novel complete with dialogue because it couldn't abuse the language properly and convincingly.

And neural connections are being "rewired" all the time in our brains by association.

There's just so much ... stuff... that makes us human.

I think we'll have assistive machines, but we'll want to continually improve and upgrade them -- and of course, machines generally have a much SHORTER lifespan than humans do. A knee replacement, for example, lasts only 20 years. My dad's knees have lasted 87 years.

The video... haven't watched it (I really don't want to take time out of my schedule to have to sit through 30 minutes or whatever of a vid... I wish folks would post text instead) but in general a lot of the "news of the day" speculation really takes what the research is doing and goes off in a very peculiar way.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Byrd]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i did not hear the words "self aware" in this documentary. Unless i missed it. I like the idea, but if it IS self aware, and knows who its creator is, that will be very dangerous.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. I enjoyed the video quite a bit. It did leave me with a few questions though.

I believe that each of us have a soul, is this machine going to suck it out when you die? A soul sucking machine sounds pretty freakin scary to me. It's one thing to map your brain and all it's thought patterns and then carry them forward when the body gives out.

Soul sucking is another thing all together.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmaskOn another note this screams singularity.

It did to me as well. I mainly wanted to reply because what 'halfmask' points out is precisely where my mind went.

I think it is fascinating and am curious enough to *want* to see how far this could go..

However, I am not oblivious to the implications of such technology.

I missed where the video talked about preventing death, but that may have been because the minute I thought singularity, my mind was off in so many different directions.

I am anti-immortality and even anti-living longer than is natural. The reason being is that I love the way nature creates, destroys, and renews itself. It is the process that has allowed me to be here on this planet at this time. I have no problem accepting that I will come to an end. In fact, it makes me that much more aware and appreciative that I am even here at all.

Other than that, I still have to admit my rabid curiosity in the contents of the video

starred and flagged OP

[edit on 31-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If you visit the website listed in the video, and view the "products" you will get a good dose of skepticism.....

I don't believe 1/4 of what this guy said.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I haven't watched the video yet, I will come back when I do.

But I have a question in the mean time, I assume the think they can tyransfer our conciousnes to a computer? If that's what they say, then that is almost impossible!!

Clone a copy of yourself, and the clone is NOT you, when you die, he continues to live on as a seperate being. The same would apply to a computer, you could copy everything about you, but the computer will live on forever as someone else that, and YOU will die.

Now I may be wrong, so I'm off to watch the video.

Edit: OK watched most of the video, it's seems great for creating A.I we can "interact" with. But I don't see how we can transfer ourselfs to it.

If we want immortality, we have to "combine" our bodies with technology, for example nanotechnology can be entered into the body and change and heal what we need to live for longer.

Anyway it's all very interesting.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Unfortunately everything is in the wrong hands. There are so many ways this could assist humankind. Though, immortality itself would be taking it to far for me. In the end extending natural life may be possible. I've had a life altering type of recall, what I mean is it didn't just happen out of noise in the system as this guy would say, but was unexpected and altered my perception of life, my own life and how long we have been traveling this road. This would pose an enormous question. If you had belief, and perhaps even certain memories, would you chose to extend your stay in this limited, school filled with so much sorrow and restraints indefinately, or would you chose to graduate the school, to move beyond into better horizons? I mean what if you had the belief but this technology forced you to put your beliefs or life on the line so to speak? People truly could end up being force fed energy supplies for sentient machine life. Wow. Just too many questions.
Edit to add: the video is not too long. But I would prefer a quick read myself often.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Sorry , no binary brain for me .
. It is my belief that the consciousness is not in the tiny numerable list of turing-computable functions .

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think that people are going to be very reluctant to this technology out of a fear of what is unknown to them.
I think this is fascinating! It seems that the neural network looping is spot on. This thing PROGRAMMED a robot in a matter of minutes to do everything the robot was physically capable of doing! AMAZING!

In my mind, a merger of the human mind and this machine would be first order of business. Think of the implications! Crime would be gone because criminals would automatically fully realize the implications of their actions. Governments would no longer exploit the masses! People wouldn't stand for it at all.

The poster that mentioned fearing a singularity and losing our perceptions of the smaller beautiful things is misplacing his fear, I think.
I believe the point of it is that your perceptions would be expanded far beyond that which it is today! You would find the beauty in EVERYTHING! Nirvana for everyone, automatically.

I would love to see a creativity machine reduced to the size that I could implant it into my head. The immortality aspect of it is amazing to me as well.

To the mod that posted without viewing the video. The rewiring of the neurons takes place inside the machine as well. All the time. You should really watch the video, it is spectacular!

This is truly ground breaking stuff, guys. Probably the most beneficial info I have ever seen on this website. The potential is literally limitless. And I feel that people fearing the implications of the godlike status are misplacing their fears also. The goal of our creation, afterall, is to return once again to that which we came from! THIS IS IT!

Also, I'm not following people who believe that this is like your average computer program with binary, this or that, reasoning. This is no different than how our brains already operate. Afterall, YOU are a binary reasoning organic computer already! This is an upgrade! And one HELL of an upgrade it is!

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
That is just...WOW.
I am seriously confused about everything now.
I find myself wondering....

Totally mind-blowing to me, at least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join