It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Its Image. Computer That might prevent death in the future!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I recieved this video from my cousin and thought you guys would enjoy this. I hope you didn't see it yet.

Description:

In the mid 70s, an aspiring theoretical physicist made what he and many others feel is the most important discovery in the world. This very significant film is about the resulting invention, one that can author all subsequent ideas, provide a totally unanticipated cosmology, and possibly deliver us from death.

video.google.com...#

I can't get the video to play on here so I just posted the link instead. Sorry

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
That video is just jaw dropping. Im speechless! Star and Flag for bringing it to my attention. Amazing!

Edit

Still trying to absorb the endless possibilities and worldwide implications of this. He sounds like he really thinks this would be of benefit to the world and you know what, I think he's right! Hopefully it will be used for good, but im sure there will be those who will use it for evil. Kinda a little freaked out now

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 31/8/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kcfusion

I know, I had to sit on what I just saw for a few minutes before I posted it. I think its a good idea. But, like you said, it could be extremely bad for humanity if the wrong person gets a hold of it. The only thing that kinda bothered me was how when you die, you could live on in cyberspace. What if you get caught in a glitch?? lol

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
That's incredible!

I'd never heard of this before, thanks for posting it.
The implications of this device are enormous, and personally I'm pro-machine. Some people fear intelligent machines, but I don't think they'd be a problem, as long as we don't let them develop things like jealousy or anger.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No problem! I'm just happy to contribute

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't know it could just be me but, it looks like a bunch of white and black balloons. Does anyone else think so?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wow my bad. Please disregard my last post. I completely copy and pasted the text into the wrong window.

sty

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
there is an entire culture on this subject, it is caled " post humanism" . You can also YouTube "creating Gods" , a very similar video. There is also this institute called " the institute for immortality" that have the same goal too. Very interesting stuff, i hope it is not for the elites only but I feel it will be. great post, starred , flagged etc

[edit on 30-8-2008 by sty]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
there is an entire culture on this subject, it is caled " post humanism" . You can also YouTube "creating Gods" , a very similar video. There is also this institute called 2 the institute for immortality" that have the same goal too. Very interesting stuff, i hope it is not for the elites only but I feel it will be. great post, starred , flagged etc

Yeah, I don't think we would have access to something of this magnitude. It would be nice though. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting. I have some robotics and programming experience and man would I love to have access to on of those creativity machines. It would make doing many time consuming tasks a lot easier. If you have seen the movie Ironman, the main characters computers is like a newer version of one of those creativity machines. In it he asks it to decide the paint job on his ironman suit. That is just one example of what you could use things for. On another note this screams singularity.

Interesting video none the less, thank you for posting it KaginD.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by halfmask]

sty

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by halfmask

o, great you got some robotics experience! I try to learn about it at the moment too. I hope that humans will be able to survive 100 more years so they can achieve what the documentary talks about. I believe that when the machine will start to create science, we will really be in trouble as we will not be able to understand how they do it ! It will be like a child going to school for the first time ever , then the teacher will try to explain to him the General Theory of Uniffied Fields lol. This is one more reason why I believe that the extraterestrials are not talking to us - it could be that their intelect passed the biological stage million of years ago , and even if they are around we do not understand them and they do not understand us ..

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
These concepts could be very good, but they could also spell the end of the natural human race.

I wont embrace these technologies. If what I understood from this video is true then human and computer will become one collective conscious. I cant imagine a worse kind of hell. I take pride that I am a natural human sure we do really messed up things to each other but we can also enjoy some of the most beautiful things in the universe. Simple beauty in everything the sound of a light breeze through leafy tree branches, rain drops into a puddle. Totally insignifacant things that you wouldnt expect to see much beauty in but we can because we are natural and individual.

I guess my biggest fear is that we will lose the ability to see the beauty of simple natural things, and we will lose individual thought. I fear singularity.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by caballero]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Nice find.... stunning really i knew we were close but a couple years WOW!!! I think its simply brilliant immortality ehhh but the possibilities are incredible. its simply stunning i dont even really know what to say about it

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by caballero
These concepts could be very good, but they could also spell the end of the natural human race.

I wont embrace these technologies. If what I understood from this video is true then human and computer will become one collective conscious. I cant imagine a worse kind of hell. I take pride that I am a natural human sure we do really messed up things to each other but we can also enjoy some of the most beautiful things in the universe. Simple beauty in everything the sound of a light breeze through leafy tree branches, rain drops into a puddle. Totally insignifacant things that you wouldnt expect to see much beauty in but we can because we are natural and individual.

I guess my biggest fear is that we will lose the ability to see the beauty of simple natural things, and we will lose individual thought. I fear singularity.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by caballero]

Thats true. Some people want to live forever, but not me. I like the idea of a natural life cycle. Live, grow old, enjoy your time, and die. Plus, I'm interested in what really happens when you die. I don't want to miss that so I can live on in a computer!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
My question is: What does this do about the theory of God? isn't part of the argument of an afterlife or a "soul" that we have consciousness and feelings, etc? If we can artifically create it, aren't we, in essence, playing the part of God at least to a small degree? I'm not trying to start a religious debate here but it does make me question the existence if we can create a life that has all the characteristics we do, except that it's a metal machine rather than a human body.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Great post, excellent topic and video. I am curious to see how the development and study of the actual "machine" may intersect with modern medicine, or our ability to recreate self recognition pathways in the brain.
Hmmm

ColoradoJens

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Oh! KaginD - sorry! Starred and Flagged. First evening posting as a member. Nice thread.

ColoradoJens

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
After watching and investigating I am stunned!. This is AI... This has influenced our world for years and we never even knew. If I had to bet I would put money on the creativity machine inventing the Fusion razor, the Listerine spritz, and all the coke-a-cola zero drinks on the market.

This machine thinks. It invents. It creates music of its own inspiration. IT CAN BE INSPIRED!!!!!! That is an emotion. With out a doubt it can feel.

I have been in a state of shock and awe for a few hours now. I did not think it was possible. I did not know it already was. And I do not know what to feel. but yeah wow. Star. Flag.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The guys seems smart, no doubt about that. But this talk of merging with machines and living forever in this universe by replacing our organs with RAM and a harddrive or whatever is a bunch of bull. You might be able to extend life for whatever amount of time but I believe that is it naive to think that a really long life = immortality, it doesn't.

I think some of the technology will no doubt be a fun tool perhaps, like the internet, but its nothing more than a nice toy.

"This machine thinks. It invents. It creates music of its own inspiration. IT CAN BE INSPIRED!!!!!! That is an emotion. With out a doubt it can feel."

Oh puhlease, the music sucks so good ol' wirehead needs to step it up a notch.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Did you watch the doc? Did you look at his websites? This thing is not a toy. It is a self aware thinking, feeling, inventing, asexual, entity. Is it alive? Does it have a soul? ...... IT ALREADY REPRODUCED!!!! WTF!?!

Now he is planning to find a way to merge consciousnesses. I do not yet no how I feel about the implications of this. As stated in the Doc merging is the first step. Your consciousness traveling from your body of organs into the machine and existing in both. This creates and expanded awareness. Now if you die you do not have to remain in your body. You can choose to flee death. ......

Given the opportunity I do not know what I would choose. So I would rather avoid the choice. But that is just me. Point is the genie is out of the bottle and gaining strength. This is no toy. THIS IS REAL!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join