It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Al Qaeda's No. 2 al-Zawahiri Surrounded in Pakistan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sources reporting an Air-Strike on the primary target is in the works......

Will post more as it comes available

50 planes
and
multiple Choppers

Civilians have been killed, including a woman and child... not confirmed

This is still considered A Pakistani operation, there is no US Army in the area.

Just in @ 5:06 EST Al-Zawahri was the target and is in custody--> General Wayne Downing Ret. US Army......not confirmed by Military Sources

There has not been an official comment from US government or Military, which have jumped all over other claims in the past

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
are they going to do something, or just surround him..

didn't read your last post....

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by SwampFox]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwampFox
are they going to do something, or just surround him..

Have you read any of the posts and or Links?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Per CNN, US Special Forces are now involved.
I'm going to work on updating the main story with all new information.

-B.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I just saw a live report on CNN by a Pakistani offical that said "Don't get your hopes up, the area they are surrounded in is the size of New Jersey"

Tut

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Still no confirmed reports on Zawahiri's capture, however this could be downplayed to use him to get to Osama.

Is there a coincidence that Colin Powell left the area right before this news came out?

Also coming in.... The House approved the raise of Osamas capture reward to $50 Million , the bill was passed 414-0

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Who wants to get a huge team together and head out to catch Osama? Anyone? $50 mil is a crap ton of money. Who's in?

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
UPDATE
Sources in Pakistan indicate that the Pakistani Army has set a deadline for surrender of the militants that are surrounded. Identification of just "who" the "high value" Al-Qaeda asset is but this does seem to be a matter of serious Do or Die.
TERROR TARGET DEADLINE

Note: I am posting this thanks to Trickmastertrick who had to get some rest and then report for work.

regards
seekerof

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here's a Google search on all of such reports and articles associated with this ongoing event:
Bin Laden deputy surrounded by Pakistani forces

Bear in mind, this is still highly speculative on just "who" this individual or individuals is. Pakistani sources have reiterated that they have a total of 70,000+/- miliatary personnel in this area of the Pakistani and Afghan area.

Seems that 'Operation Mountain Storm' is succeeding in doing what it was proposed and planned to do.

seekerof

The article I read said they only had 7000 troops involved
and it said this

But while troops battled militants at four different locations, the major thrust of the operation was Shin Warsak, a relatively plain area surrounded by small hillocks with a population of about 10,000.

Dawn has learnt on good authority that one of the men who had broken through a paramilitary security cordon in what looked like a bulletproof double-cabin pick-up truck amid hails of bullets on Tuesday could be Ayman Al Zawahiri.

Sources said the truck, which had survived bullets, was later found abandoned after it had rammed into a wall. "He seems to have been wounded and appears to be holed up somewhere in that area," claimed two different sources. "It is Shin Warsak where troops are facing the stiffest resistance," said these sources.

One source familiar with the Tuesday's operation said the truck that had broken through the cordon was closely followed by two other speeding pick-ups. Both, however, were blown up by paramilitary troops with mortars and shells.

www.dawn.com...

Q

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Sweeet! It's about time we dropped the hammer on some of the top brass.

The news of this 'armored truck' is very encouraging. Your average shmo don't have one of those. The involvement of US SF grabs my attention even more. If the Pakistanis are letting them in on it, there are definitely high value targets involved--until now, they've been very adamant about no US forces on their soil.

Actually, I would almost rather it be Ayman Al-Z rather than OBL. AAZ is much more the brains of the outfit, and his capture/death would be a major blow. This, in turn would make catching OBL that much the easier. I've never really thought of OBL as the mastermind of all this--more of the bankroller/religious figurehead rather.

Still, I agree with the concern that many here have voiced, whether or not that would make who-knows-how-many sleeper cells wake up.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
tututkamen, what was meant was in the region.
Here:

Pakistan army to step up hunt for al-Qaeda
Over the last two years, Pakistan has deployed about 50,000 troops along its mountainous 2240-kilometre border with Afghanistan and has captured about 500 fugitives.

Al-Qadia's No. 2 captured? Pakistan thinks it has top deputy cornered
Pakistan has moved 70,000 troops into the border region, and Musharraf on Monday promised to rid the tribal areas of foreign terrorists.

As for the "high value" Top Al-Qaeda member(s) that may be 'surrounded', seems the Taliban may have a clue? They issued this a few hours back:
Taliban vows to hit US, Pakistan forces over hunt

If this was some ordinary "joe", why would the Taliban issue the above? I mean, there have been ongoing operations of this type for quite sometime, no such issues from the Taliban before......

seekerof

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Good deal.
It's about time we started going after these asshelms.

maybe we can eliminate some of the cowardice and bitching from our european allies.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Found this to be interesting. May have something to do with the Pakistani Army giving a 12hr. 'cease fire' to allow those surrounded a chance to consider surrendering:

Fear Osama pal escape

Excerpt:
WASHINGTON - Thousands of Pakistani troops poured heavy fire into the mountain stronghold where Ayman Al-Zawahiri, Al Qaeda's No. 2 leader, may be hiding, but American officials fretted he may have gotten away.

And then this from Reuters:
Pakistan Says 'High-Value Target' Chechen or Uzbek

Interestingly, Mansoor Ijaz raised the point that Ayman al-Zawahri has made mention, in the past, that he (al-Zawahri) has found his methods of hiding better suited among foreign fighters. In the above Reuters article, and 'if' indeed al-Zawahri is found to be there, it would be found reasonable that communications that are being intercepted would reflect on what Mansoor Ijaz mentions.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Looks like another has S l i p p e d away
Sky News

I'm still holding tight that Bin Laden is already in custody, and come september(maybe the 11th?) both their captures will be announced. I still believe this is directed towards a media propaganda thing.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Alot of conflicting reports, to be honest:
Pakistan military commander says senior al-Qaida target has not escaped, but identity unclear
Trapped al-Qa'eda leader is Uzbek mullah
Mystery Militant May Be Uzbek or Chechen - Pakistan

Time will only tell....this is the 4th day of this ongoing situation.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
unfortunately, I am unable to get in contact with my source in Pakistan, guess he is busy, but London Times was reporting that Al-Zawahiri was shot and killed and his body is being sent for DNA testing.

then all of a sudden they retracted the story.

To tell the truth, even if USA/Paki got him, I don't think they will admit it, too many other factors to consider.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Purposeful Mis-information?
Disinformation?
Diversion?

Dunno, but FOX ran with the same this a.m., saying that a UK media source, in London, reported what you mentioned worldwatcher:

ZAWAHIRI my be dead!!!waiting DNA results-FOX

Associated thread on this that was seemingly posted prior to the above:
DNA tests on corpse will reveal if it is Bin Laden's deputy

Seems this is still unconfirmed, other the mention of it by The Sunday Times and FOX.

seekerof

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It turns out it wasnt him Usama and Al-Zawahiri will not be caught for a long long time. The USA needs these to men not be captured for the time being so more terror attacks can happen on the USA.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I herd on CNN that they said it turns out it wasnt him and al-zawahiri was never sourrounded.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Thats cool Chronic7

Seems that another cease-fire has been enacted by the Pakistani Army. Also seems that reports coming from some of those 'fighters,' that have been captured and interrogated, have made mention that Al-Zawahiri may already be dead....again, speculative.
Bin Laden deputy might be already dead

Let's hope this isn't the makings of another Tora Bora.

seekerof

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join