It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Al Qaeda's No. 2 al-Zawahiri Surrounded in Pakistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sources indicate that Ayman al-Zawahri, the 2nd in command of Al-Qaeda and a known friend of Osama bin Laden, has been surrounded and is near capture on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. He is reportedly with around 20 Al Qaeda fighters. The Pakistani army has been pounding an area of about 25 square kilometers, and it is reported that a fierce battle is ongoing between military troops and bodyguards. President Musharref said earlier that he "believes a high Value Al-Qaeda member is being protected by fighters." and the intelligence has come true.

CNN.com || FoxNews

The individuals in question are "holed up" in a mud shack along the border in one of the most remote areas of the country. The Pakistani army has them surrounded, and has given a deadline of 7am GMT (2am EST) to surrernder or face a full armed assault.

This is being called a Pakistani operation, with no US troops involved. However, some sources say US Special Forces are lending support to the Pakistanis.

"We feel that there may be a high-value target," Musharraf told CNN early Thursday. "I can't say who." Over the course of the day, it has been confirmed that Al-Zawahiri is the target.

The military asked locals to leave and is flying helicopters overhead, "pounding" the area with artillery.

Word of the standoff comes after Pakistan announced it has launched a fresh offensive against suspected militants near the Afghan border.

Related websites
FBI Most wanted file about Al-Zawahiri
TerrorAnalysis.com Fact Sheet on Al-Zawahiri

Other sources
USA Today
Washington Post
Sky.com

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
CNN just added a red banner breaking news at the top of the site stating the following:

BREAKING NEWS Pakistani president tells CNN he believes troops have surrounded al Qaeda fighters protecting "high-value target." Details soon.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
could it be the big guy finally?? UBL or Al-Zawahiri??

Don't forget Mullah Omar, Taliban leader is still on the loose.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
There have been many reports lately that they have OBL locked in. This may be the big battle.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I do not think the US would allow Paki forces to capture OBL. While it would be a boon to the US-Paki diplomatic relationships, GWB would not want such an event to occur for the following reasons:

1. GWB is supposed to be our savior from OBL (his implication, not mine)
  2. If OBL is no longer free what would be the need for such an involved war on terror?
  3. If we don't need such an involved war on terror do we need a president who's known only for his accomplishments in that arena and not domestically?
  4. If we don't need such a president, why not vote for Kerry and try to attack some domestic issues?

Just an explanation that might be going through Republican strategy planners' heads. Not necessarily my views.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
JUST IN!

PAKISTAN: AL QAEDA TARGET SURROUNDED

Osama bin Laden's second in command has been surrounded in Pakistan, President Musharraf has told CNN.

Troops say they have cornered Ayman al-Zawahri in an operation near the Afghan border.

And PLEASE stop posting entire news articles.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Foxnews is reporting that it is Al-Zawahiri. Apparently their analyst on the ground in the area are reporting he is surrounded.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out

Update: Let the retractions begin...
It's him, not it's not, it's him, no it's not.
I think I need to see a body before I believe it.

[Edited on 3/18/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
www.sky.com...

Looking a little ragged nowadays...

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Pakistani sources (Minister of Information)are virtually confirming that this "target" is not Bin Ladin, but they do know that it is someone of high importance, due to the nature of the amount of intense resistance being encountered. Understanding is that their are upwards of 5,000+/- Pakistani Army Regulars in this area, as of this reporting.

Pakistan says it has al-Qaida's No. 2 surrounded

Concerns are that if this is Ayman al-Zawahri, the proposed "Brain" of Al-Qaeda, will there be reprisal attacks from those supposed "sleeper groups" around the world?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Here's a Google search on all of such reports and articles associated with this ongoing event:
Bin Laden deputy surrounded by Pakistani forces

Bear in mind, this is still highly speculative on just "who" this individual or individuals is. Pakistani sources have reiterated that they have a total of 70,000+/- miliatary personnel in this area of the Pakistani and Afghan area.

Seems that 'Operation Mountain Storm' is succeeding in doing what it was proposed and planned to do.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
How do they know its him?
are they guessing?
high importance maybe but is it al zawahiri ?

The original posting world watcher used the words captured???

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Gives an Added Dimension to the Term:

MARCH MADNESS

what a krazy day, the 'field of 64' and the AQ do 'battle'

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
How do they know its him?
are they guessing?
high importance maybe but is it al zawahiri ?

The original posting world watcher used the words captured???

By what I have seen, They are only guessing its a big guy, because there is a huge resistance. The tribes are putting up a fight. So that would lead them to beleive that there is a big catch.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
i agree spittin cobra but they keep using the name al zawahiri and im wondering why ?
why not guess its usama bin laden?
im wondering if there is inside info?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
thanks for the great contribution and editing zion. sorry I ran out.

Pakistani reporter is on Fox saying it is probably Chechen rebels.

Another report says that Pakistan will be starting an air assault at first light.

Another report says there are currently 4 battles being waged in the area.

Word of advice, pay close attention to all the changing stories and reports as this story continues to develop.

Also if this is true, I expect our Alert status to be raised, well at least it should.

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The tighter the noose,...the greater the resistance.

I hope this doesnt instigate any counter-action.

Cant wait to find out for sure who it is.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What if this is just a diversion to draw attention for more attacks?...

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
could it be merely a diversion?
maybe to draw attention away from where the big wigs are?
i dont trust anything fox news says....there like watching the t.v. version of the national enquirer
Rupert murdoch is famous gossip mongerer from way back

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i just read an associated press release where it says that an intelligence official says that captured fighters say that al-Zawahiri has been injured

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This from NIN (I know, I know):

www.homelandsecurityus.com...

18 March 2004. 1:40 PM ET Pakistani forces surround HVT: "The Door to the Doors of Jihad has been opened". Preliminary reports indicate that the High Value Target may be Dr. Ayman Al Zawahiri, second in command of Al Qaeda. At approximately the same time a message appeared on two of the jihad message boards stating "The Door to the Doors of Jihad has been opened". What does this statement meant and is there a connection between the two? Many analysts have speculated that any announcement of the capture of death of Zawahiri or Bin Laden would be met with a surge in terrorist attacks. Is this message a signal from the jihadis to start operations?

Anyone know which message boards NIN always refers to? I realize they're in Arabic but I'm just curious.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join