It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repulican National Convention: St. Paul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
As most people know, Monday-Thursday (Sept. 1-4) will be the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, MN. I happen to live close to downtown St. Paul (10-20 minute drive depending on traffic), and the Xcel Energy Center, where it is taking place. Naturally, being a fellow ATSers, I am very interested in this historical event.

Before I say anything else, here are some protests planned for the RNC:

Crash the Convention
The RNC Welcoming Committee invites you to Crash the Convention and blockade delegates from attending the convention using a Swarm, Seize, and Stay strategy. For more information see
the website

March route

The route is roughly 1.6 miles long and takes us to a point directly across from the Xcel Center, where the RNC will meet. With a march time of 1pm, we expect that everyone will able to march past the Convention Center either while delegates are arriving or while the RNC is in session (they start at 2:30pm).

Volunteers Needed

Hosting a demonstration of 50,000 takes a lot of people power. If you can help out, plan to come early (8am) to help with set-up, stay-late (7pm), or help out during the rally and march with these and more: Staff information tent; Direct people/buses to parking; Sign-up people on clipboards; Distribute protest signs; Collect donations; And much, much more! To volunteer, come to a 9:30am volunteer meeting on Monday, or check in at the INFO TENT whenever you arrive. Thanks for your help!

That's only a few from www.marchonrnc.org... and other websites. As you can see, there will be a HUGE amount of people there. I went to the Obama Rally in the Xcel in June, and there were tons of people there. If you haven't been to St. Paul, the downtown is incredibly small. For people in big cities if they can grasp this: I live in a 'far' suburb that is 15 minutes away. The capitol of Minnesota is a 5 minute walk away from the Xcel.

There is going to be a very very large amount of protesters in downtown. 50,000+ !! That's as many people attending to convention.

The Republicans have literally employed a small army to stop them.

Protesters are having to register for permits. There are marching right past the media.

"The RNC Welcoming Committee invites you to Crash the Convention and blockade delegates from attending the convention using a Swarm, Seize, and Stay strategy. For more information see
the website"

Blockade Delegates! Swarm, seize, and Stay! This is almost looking like 1968. This is huge, and organized.

I'm afraid that a small riot could break out, and there will be extremely high tensions between protesters and police. They have called in the national guard, and called in police forces as far away as from Boston.

I'm pretty sure something will break out. But getting back to my main point. I encourage any ATSers in the St. Paul area to attend.

Why?

To do what I'm doing. I'm taking pictures of protesters, and quite possibly civil right violations and police brutality possibly. I'm getting as close as I can (Paring roughly 5 miles away) then walking in to take pictures of labor day. Take tons of them. I'm erasing my 1 Gig memory card to take pictures.

This is going to be a historical event and I hope as many people can get pictures like I am.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
you are aware that you will prolly go to jail for your political beleifs right?

cuz u know, the govt has been arresting political opponents lately , and its not isolated

im just saying...your gonna pay for your beliefs...

im not telling you to stop or anything, i just want you to know the reality that awaits

and this isnt anything new, every govt on earth has a track record of arresting political opponents, for thousands of years

america has been doing it for centuries too, dont fool yourself

remember the "civil rights movements"? they got arrested for their political beliefs too , even beat down , bitten by police dogs, sprayed with water hoses, even beat over the head with nightsticks...

so be careful man, your risking your life for your political stance here.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not going to actively participate. I just want to be a 'journalist' I know the area, and I'm going to scope out a few good areas to take pictures to bring back, and possibly riots/police brutality/arrests and all that good stuff.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by truth_seeker3
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not going to actively participate. I just want to be a 'journalist' I know the area, and I'm going to scope out a few good areas to take pictures to bring back, and possibly riots/police brutality/arrests and all that good stuff.

Great!

I always enjoy this type of stuff. It's a great contrast to watch the normal Americans inside the convention with the masses of the far-left loonies out in the streets.

Maybe if you're lucky you'll get another video of a Code Pink nutjob getting smacked down by a cop.

Oh... what exactly are they protesting again? The Republicans' right to peacefully assemble?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There's more than a good chance that the protestors will spark a vote trend toward the Republican candidate due to their actions.

Kinda makes you wonder what they're trying to hide on the liberal side.

Or . . . it could just be that some are trying to relive the 60's.

Where's Jane Fonda when you need her?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hey... I live about 150 miles from the Cities, and I too have been thinking of going to represent ATS at the RNC Convention. I wish ATS had t-shirt size logo's one could print out for a black t-shirt. We could print out protest signs that say "Wake Up America- Deny Ignorance" on one side, and an ATS logo and web addy on the other!

I'd love to find Alex Jones, or those soldiers who were so cool at the DNC convention, and interview them for the members here.

I wish I had a pair of these.... Sunglasses Spy Camera With Video Recorder

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

Thanks! They (www.protestrnc.com) are protesting:

-Tourturing
-End War in Iraq
-"Crash the Convention"
-Experience Guantanamo in St Paul
-Repulican's in general

Their view:

· U.S. Out of Iraq Now!
· Money for human needs, not for war
· Say no to the Republican Agenda
· Demand peace, justice and equality

This is a huge organized event. They have had training for people for weeks such as for photographers, medics, protesting 'peacekeepers', and such. They have almost fifty speakers planned including Iraq War veterans, Iraqi civilians.

Here is a quote from their website:

We recognize that protests at the RNC will take many forms. With that in mind, we have worked for common ground with other forces to ensure that our various projects work in concert, with a commitment to ensure no one's plans are disrupted or undermined by fellow protesters. Our coalition agrees to the following principles for the September 1, 2008, March on the RNC.

(1) our solidarity will be based on respect for diversity of tactics and the plans of other groups.

(2) the actions and tactics used will be organized to maintain a separation of time or space.

(3) any debates or criticisms will stay internal to the movement, avoiding any public or media denunciations of fellow activists and events.

(4) we oppose any state repression of dissent, including surveillance, infiltration, disruption and violence. We agree not to assist law enforcement actions against activists and others.

This is going to be huge and quote 'almost proffesional'. What I want to also know is where is Alex Jones is there and talk to him.

top topics

join