It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the beginning of the Second Cold War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Is this the beginning of the Second Cold War?

www.time.com

America's relationship with Russia is on a downward slide. President Vladimir Putin's recent threat to retarget Russian missiles at some of America's European allies is just the latest flash point.
The elaborate charade of feigned friendship between Putin and President George W. Bush, begun several years ago when Bush testified to the alleged spiritual depth of his Russian counterpart's soul, hasn't helped. The fact that similarly staged "friendships"--between F.D.R. and "Uncle Joe" Stalin, Nix
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.cnn.com
www.csmonitor.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia/Georgia Situation News & Updates
Kremlin announces that South Ossetia will join 'one united Russian state'

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I am fairly sure that the West has somewhat unwittingly stumbled into a new Cold War with Russia. Given Russian ties with China and their stranglehold on the flow of fossil fuels into Europe this seems less than wise. It's understandable that Europe would rush to the defence of Georgia but ultimately global politics are surely about self preservation. That is why Russia are so interested in Georgia in the first place as they want to retain their vast natural resources for as long as possible and Georgia is a resource rich state.

On the other hand perhaps it will all blow over as investment in russian businesses has plummeted since the invasion causing their economy to drop by a not insignificant 6% this week. Maybe in trying to guarantee the strength of their economy in the long term they have failed to predict the effect that their actions will have in the short term.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Once america start something they never stop, so do not expect this route to change of theres. Thats why rusia had to do something.

Will the west accept the demonisation of russia by the western media?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Will the west accept the demonisation of russia by the western media?

Thats a good question but then in my opinion they are all as bad as each other. The vast majority of politicians are there for the wrong reasons in the first place, i.e. power, notoriety and monetary gain. Spin doctors on both sides are doubtlessly toiling as we speak over ways in which to make their own stance appear right and the others entirely unreasonable.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There will be no Cold War. Both sides got a little heated a little too fast - but now things are calming down. The West and Russia are realizing that their economies are more important than their egos.

Originally posted by digdeep
I am fairly sure that the West has somewhat unwittingly stumbled into a new Cold War with Russia.

Nothing in politics is done unwittingly. All large governments have experts who plan things three steps ahead. They have the ability to know if a possible Cold War is in the making long beforehand and put a stop to it. The issue is - how do you put a stop to it without looking weak.

It's understandable that Europe would rush to the defence of Georgia

Actually it will not rush to any defence. It hasn't and it won't. They bark in support of Georgia, but that's about it.

That is why Russia are so interested in Georgia in the first place as they want to retain their vast natural resources for as long as possible and Georgia is a resource rich state.

???

Where did you gather that Georgia is a resource rich state? It has no oil, and no gas. This isn't about Georgia's resources - it is about their NATO membership.

On the other hand perhaps it will all blow over as investment in russian businesses has plummeted since the invasion causing their economy to drop by a not insignificant 6% this week.

It will blow over. But 6% sounds a little overestimated - I wouldn't trust it yet. And the economy in Russia is dropping because global oil and gas prices are on the decline.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
There will be no Cold War. Both sides got a little heated a little too fast - but now things are calming down. The West and Russia are realizing that their economies are more important than their egos.

Nothing in politics is done unwittingly. All large governments have experts who plan things three steps ahead. They have the ability to know if a possible Cold War is in the making long beforehand and put a stop to it. The issue is - how do you put a stop to it without looking weak.

Some good points made there and I do fully agree with you. Isn't it sad that we all have to worry about 'saving face' infront of one another. I've had pubfights with similar motivation and yet the same is being done by global politicians!!

It's understandable that Europe would rush to the defence of Georgia

Actually it will not rush to any defence. It hasn't and it won't. They bark in support of Georgia, but that's about it.

Where did you gather that Georgia is a resource rich state? It has no oil, and no gas. This isn't about Georgia's resources - it is about their NATO membership.

Georgia does have large oil deposits, just no industry as yet to extract it making it even more appealing. Also you are right that NATO has not as yet made any move towards military action against Russia, which would be very stupid for all involved but it must be remembered that modern politics are primarily about words and not actions. It is foolish to take such a condescending tone when discussing such issues as war is something that we all should fear. Gone are the days of heavy casualties followed by prolonged rehabilitation. Just one poorly handled dispute could see the extinction of mankind.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by digdeep] Not that it seems to have worked. I appear to have jumbled my responses amongst a number of quotations from both Maloy and Myself and then gift wrapped the whole lot within yet another quote. Sorry!!

[edit on 30-8-2008 by digdeep]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The way is see it, the cold war never stopped. Russia broke down so it was no longer a credible enemy. Enter terrorism. Now Russia has had some time to get its affairs in order and they are back, with a vengeance. The USA is glad about it too, the Russians know how to play ball, unlike those pesky fanatic terrorists.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Double posted :/

[edit on 30-8-2008 by sn00daard]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sn00daard
The way is see it, the cold war never stopped. Russia broke down so it was no longer a credible enemy. Enter terrorism. Now Russia has had some time to get its affairs in order and they are back, with a vengeance. The USA is glad about it too, the Russians know how to play ball, unlike those pesky fanatic terrorists.

Hahahahahaha...I like your perspective! :-)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It all happened so fast! Has Russia become so powerful again? That just came out of nowhere!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sn00daard

I agree that the Cold war never ended. It just took a hiatus for around 15 years.

And the U.S. did not stumble in this situation unwittingly. They know the right buttons to push, and have been doing so for years. Cold War = $$$$$.

top topics

join