What issues matter to you and who would you vote?

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am curious , what are the issues -any issues from Economy to Abortion and Gay rights- ATSers give more importance and who do you think can deliver on those issues? By order of importance please. Thank you

Mine are:

1- Economy
2- Health Care
3- Education
4- Foreign policy
5- Environment
7- Energy

Prefered candidate: Obama

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
I am curious , what are the issues -any issues from Economy to Abortion and Gay rights- ATSers give more importance and who do you think can deliver on those issues? By order of importance please. Thank you

Mine are:

Prefered candidate: Obama

1- Economy/ Energy...
2- Health Care
3- Education
4- Foreign policy
5- Environment

As you can see on # 1... Well I had an ah ha moment.

Being that I am not a very slick writer I'm not sure if I can convey this well, but I will try.

What I realize is now is that GREEN ENERGY and the resulting technology could very well fuel a new frontier/ economy like computers, telecommunications, railroads etc...

I actually think this issue is the most important economic issue of them all.

For example if Mccain, just drills drills drills for four years America will for the first time
NOT be on the cutting edge of NEW TECH. This would set a precedent in our history and will greatly effect our global /economic standing in various ways. Now on the other hand if we seize the moment it is likely new breakthroughs will have an amazing impact!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$
jobs and future!

Obama

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
In no particular order:

Fiscal Policy
Iraq and Afghanistan
Overall National Security
Energy Policy
Abortion
2nd Amendment Rights
Dealing with an increasingly aggressive Russia (This is a new one on the list)

I can dig up a few more, but that's a quick list. While I don't necessarily agree with him 100% on those issues, McCain easily has my vote on those when contrasted with Obama.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Isn't Palin working on getting natural gas pipeline. T Boone Pickens is promoting Natural Gas Cars. I think that would be a better choice. Obama hasn't really said what he wants to do. Yeah he can say energy independence all he wants but that doesn't really say how.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Yes, she has been supporting a few significant natural gas projects in Alaska.

Article

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Media blackouts and manipulation
police state tactics
first and second amendments(as well as the constitution and all of the bill of rights, no, they're not out-dated, unless you want to give up your freedom)
Foreign policies
U.S. economy
exported jobs
U.S. morale
environment
more viable and natural energy solutions

Ron Paul!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It's hard to put them in an order because they are ALL VERY important and, depending on the day, each holds the #1 spot in my mind. But, right this moment, it looks like this:

1- Government Reform
2- Foreign policy (End Iraq War)
3- Defense of the Constitution
4- Economy
5- Environment
6- Civil Rights
7- Energy
8- Health Care

JoeBama.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Goverment reform is #1 in my book as well. All the additional issues mentioned above are also very important. The thing is, that without massive reform of the political culture, the right decisions will not be made on any of the other issues. So goverment reform has to be #1.

i think Obama/Biden has the best chance of making that happen.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I lived in WV a long time and they have alot of gas pipeline running through the woods. I have never seen it harm wildlife. There are some leaks but I find they just stay away from it. I can't say the same about oil. Exxon-Valdez. I would be willing to put up with some of Palin's and McCain's issues if it meant we could stop buying oil from people who hate the US. Not to mention it would boost our economy. Imagine the jobs just from the auto industry revamp alone.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Govt. Reform
Economy/Energy
Health care
The WAR
Veteran Affairs
Education

Nothing will get done unless their is CHANGE and Transparency.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
#1 Protecting American Sovereignty / The Constitution & Individual Freedom

#2 National Security Manufacturing (mostly producing goods and services here in America, hell we don't even produce items needed for CRITICAL Infrastructure here)

#3 Economy - FAIR TRADE not Free Trade, we cannot compete with slave & prison labor unless our quality of life falls to the same level. This is unacceptable to do this so International Corporations can make more profit (reminds me of the Ferengi in Star Trek) There is such a thing as Responsible Capitalism.

#4 Remove Corruption from Politics - What we need is my (Anti-Corruption Act). A black and white simple document with no loopholes which states our politicians are public servants. As such, politicians are not allowed to invest in anything except US Bonds for personal gain during office. Also, complete campaign finance reform. Nothing but personal contributions at a set limit. Complete seperation of Corporate / Special interest and Government. No parties, no sponsorship of political events, no sweetheart jobs after office, etc.
Why? They are supposed to be and NEED to be PUBLIC SERVANTS. If these restrictions are to harsh for them to make substantial personal gains, well then the job is not for them now is it?

#5 Patent Law Reform - We can no longer afford to have technologies and cures for diseases "bought out" and buried or made so unaffordable that they are not viable due to a piece of paper. We did it in WW2 with aluminum and need to do it with alternative energy and medicine.

#6 Corporate Reform - If your company folds and gets a bailout - all bonuses, executive stock options, ect. must be refunded (or you go to jail). It is insane that a section of our society is above the law and is allowed to loot the taxpayer and walk away with millions (sometimes billions) in personal gain... only to be allowed to do it again. This is nothing more than white collar grand-theft and fraud!

#7 Energy Independence / Reform - Patent law figures into this greatly but really, Energy Independence is a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY! Drilling is a stop gap but gives us a bit more time to develop Algae Oil & Water Burning Cars utilizing electrolisis / radio frequency separation technology.

#8 Border Security and Immigration Reform - We are allowing Drug Lords and the corrupt Mexican Army to kill, torture, and intimidate our citizens and we will do nothing about it because of the illegal immigration debate. We must secure our border & set up easy standards for LEGAL immigration & guest worker programs.

Nearly 100 years ago President Theodore Roosevelt hit the nail on the head when it came to immigration.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith, becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American… There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”—Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

#9 Tax Reform - Consumption Tax with no loopholes in buying goods overseas (like what happened with yachts). We then can turn all of those freed up IRS workers to investigate government healthcare fraud (which now is estimated at 31% and costing us billions).

#10 Importation Border Security - Inspection of ALL cargo containers coming into this country - a flat tax of an additional $100 per container to pay for the inspectors and equipment needed to do this (think of it like airport baggage screening at a much larger level.)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
- Less corrupt government
- Less foreign intervention
- Restoration and defense of the Constitution
- Hold war-crimes trials of Bush Administration members
- Support of necessary R&D to resolve non-renewable energy supply issues
- Tax reform, to promote creation of jobs here, discourage export of jobs, promote clean air/water

That'll do for a start.

Obama / Biden

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
1. The Economy - Off the top of my head, I don't like this free trade nonsense. There should be huge corporate taxes for outsourcing so we can support the unemployed that are a result of it. Without the government protecting it's people financially to some degree, we have corporate anarchy which, in the end, destroys the value of the money I've earned anyway.

2. The Wars (this goes back to the economy) - I don't care if we are waging rightous wars, although I somehow doubt we are. The bottom line is, I'm paying for it, and my country's economy is suffering for it. I also really don't like the no-bid contracts and the $50 for a can of soda nonsense. Halliburton's Board of Directors should, as a group, for the damage they've collectively done both abroad and at home, slip in a puddle of AIDS.

3. Abortion - If a lippy broad wants one then I, as a Testicled American, have no say. Any man that feels he can tell a dame what she can or cannot do with her body should get cancer.

4. Gay Rights - We really should let the gays get married. To exclude a group of men because they like roman war helmets, or a group of women because they like mullets, is silly.

5. Guns - I don't have a gun, but if I get a family I'll want at least a shotgun. Of course, the way things seem to be going I'm going to marry a bleeding heart liberal that won't let me have one. I suppose the perfect end to a happy family would be a home invasion.

Government reform, energy, the environment, and transparency are other issues that really aren't going to change no matter how important they are, so they can't influence my vote.

Government Reform? Stop it. Money talks, and the corruption in our government/corporate orgie is all about money. In fact, it's this problem that's causing our energy and environment issues. Hell, there is one food additive out there that makes me very sick that the FDA has declared, "generally recognized as safe," and I have to eat like a freakin' hippie because of it. I would love to be able to go into a DD and grab a bagel sometimes, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

To a lesser degree the corruption is also responsible for all the secrecy, but...

some things do need to be secret, honorable government or not.

UFOs and all non-terrestrial matters that contradict the status quo must remain secret because people are basically well dressed cattle; spook'em and they stampede.

Edit to add, I'm voting for the ni...
er, Obama

despite what the right may claim, he neither has the desire, nor the power, to take away my fantasy of having a gun to protect my family.

[edit on 8/30/2008 by Sunsetspawn]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Economy
Foreign Policy
Energy Policy
Constitutional Rights and Freedoms
Government Reform

Ron Paul.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I have several, but these would be a good start:

#1 - Restoration of Government Accountability (Fraud, Waste & Abuse)
#2 - Restoration of Constitutional Principles (Bill of Rights, Separation of Powers)
#3 - Restoration of Science based Education and Public Policy
#4 - Sound Renewable Energy Policy and Elimination of Foreign Energy Dependence
#5 - Smaller Government

Apparently, requires the Tooth Fairy.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by loam]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
Government reform, energy, the environment, and transparency are other issues that really aren't going to change no matter how important they are.

I know it's a popular position to think that we no longer have any control over our government. But that's NOT true. They work for us. We are currently being held hostage, but in 2 months, we will have a window of opportunity to escape the hold the government has worked to gain on us, the people.

We will have the opportunity to vote for either government reform or maintaining the status quo. Let me remind you of the team that is running for president:

Obama's Speech

Biden:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

• Government spending change
  • Government brown nosing to big corporations change
  • Government finally giving a rip about citizens again change
  • Government stopping the spy program on law-abiding tax-paying citizens change
  • Government ending pointless wars in the name of what we stand for change
  • Government keeping its hands off the bodies of women, and the opinions of free-willed thinkers change
  • Government not telling i'm an evil person for supporting abortion change

basically - im looking for everything Obama promises, and nothing McCain says he'll do.

McCain openly admits he's just like Bush. He openly supports his policies, and its those same policies that ruined this country.

I am 100% for Obama.

All the way.

If McCain wins - you better get geared for 4 more years - and i promise you - it'll be a lot worse.

new topics

join