It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Raid RNC Protest Convergence Center In Premptive Dust Up

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Police arrest 78 year old Nun for trespassing!!

Betty McKenzie, 78, confronted police officers near the Landmark Center in downtown St. Paul during a protest march by the Veterans For Peace which began at the State Capitol and ended downtown. McKenzie and other protesters were arrested. About five hundred people took part in the march.

9 arrested at Xcel in antiwar march

This is just sad! What a sad, dark day for Minnesota.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
A few things here -

1. There is nothing wrong with exercising your 1st amendment rights in a PEACEFUL fashion.

2. The individuals who were raided were either known anarchists or their associates in one form or another. Their purpose was not to protest peacefully but to disrupt and cause as much chaos as they could. Some of the groups targeted had a history in this area. Obviously they are quite frustrated that the majority will not listen to their message or side therefore they resort to disruptive tactics which in case further diminishes their lack of credibility.

3. Accolades to law enforcement for nipping this one in the butt before it was allowed to fester.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is a bit frustrating seeing half of the comments in here says its ok to intimidate your opponents, but as soon as they come for you and your relatives i bet the flute will play some different chords, ehh!!!

Best regards

Loke.

Ps.

congratulations, You are now living in a policestate US citizens.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is a hugely important story that will likely get lost in the shuffle of the Gustav coverage, McCain's astonishing pick of Palin and the general breakdown of the RNC convention due to the storm.

The comments about protesters and anarchists by some in this thread are so antiquated. If it wasn't for protesters, African-Americans and women wouldn't have the right to vote in this country and we would have no labor laws or environmental laws. Protests are how we steer public discourse when our elected officials stop listening to us and, instead pay attention to lobbyists and special interests.

I have to wonder why this didn't happen at the DNC Convention in Denver. Could it be that the authoritarian, neo-con PTB don't mind chaos, protests and photo ops with negative imagery associated with the Democrats? But they sure don't want that for their own convention and there were bound to be way more protests against the RNC, Bush administration and McCain by default.

I truly hope these protesters can re-organize, if they are silenced then this facist administration will have succeeded in their authoritarian efforts.

www.salon.com...

Protesters here in Minneapolis have been targeted by a series of highly intimidating, sweeping police raids across the city, involving teams of 25-30 officers in riot gear, with semi-automatic weapons drawn, entering homes of those suspected of planning protests, handcuffing and forcing them to lay on the floor, while law enforcement officers searched the homes, seizing computers, journals, and political pamphlets. Last night, members of the St. Paul police department and the Ramsey County sheriff's department handcuffed, photographed and detained dozens of people meeting at a public venue to plan a demonstration, charging them with no crime other than "fire code violations," and early this morning, the Sheriff's department sent teams of officers into at least four Minneapolis area homes where suspected protesters were staying...

In the house that had just been raided, those inside described how a team of roughly 25 officers had barged into their homes with masks and black swat gear, holding large semi-automatic rifles, and ordered them to lie on the floor, where they were handcuffed and ordered not to move. The officers refused to state why they were there and, until the very end, refused to show whether they had a search warrant. They were forced to remain on the floor for 45 minutes while the officers took away the laptops, computers, individual journals, and political materials kept in the house. One of the individuals renting the house, an 18-year-old woman, was extremely shaken as she and others described how the officers were deliberately making intimidating statements such as "Do you have Terminator ready?" as they lay on the floor in handcuffs. The 10 or so individuals in the house all said that though they found the experience very jarring, they still intended to protest against the GOP Convention, and several said that being subjected to raids of that sort made them more emboldened than ever to do so.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
MinnPost: Protesters in Guantanamo orange march against torture

Today is the day 50,000 will march on the RNC. Unfortunatley a slew of issues may blunt the protest.

It is very hot and windy in Minneapolis/Saint Paul today.

All media attention is on Hurricane Gustav.

The RNC cut most events for today (Monday).

Bush, Cheney will not attend.

McCain is not here at the RNC.

None the less.... reports of a SWAT Police Massing to intercept the march before it reaches the RNC have been confirmed.

A thousand volunteer headbreakers have been brought in from around the nation. (People who just like doing this kind of thing, one police official was quoted saying). I wonder if Blackwater is here?

[edit on (9/1/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Here's my question. If we live in such a 'police state' as is commonly emphasized? How come the police in my town didn't bother to do much about a punk-kid who likes to break into cars and steal stereos and then some? (And I managed to dig up information on where the kid escaped to, assuming that's where he lived.) And I live in Texas. We're suppose to be Texas-tough on crime.

Were those protesters at Minnesota innocent people? I don't know. I wasn't there to experience it first hand. I doubt I can say the same for most of you.

But do these people, the protesters, fit the profile of true anarchists with plans of simply causing chaos and dousing people with red paint etc. other than peaceful protest? I say they do.

I'd like to join one of these protester groups just to see first hand what they truly are like.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well, I don't really understand 'anarchists'.
I mean, what's the point of being against EVERYTHING?

But, Food Not Bombs isn't anarchist!
Amy Goodman isn't.
The RNC is worse than the DNC, but, not by much, because republicans wouldn't understand a crackdown on anti-democrats and would get mad!
Which groups weren't intimidated or broken up?
Any?
Politicians and their donors aren't royalty!
Even if they were, they are subject to the laws as we are!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
There was a report on CNN saying that the police confiscated weapons and they said they'd be doing an expanded report with interviews after the break, so I got suckered in and waited for the full report wondering if some group brought guns and they really raided some bad guys. Low and behold the weapons are rocks, slingshots and supposedly knives that were never shown.

So, now the police are raiding houses because people might have rocks and slingshots?

Almost makes me want to become a protester to protest the police not the convention.

Tyranny has come to America. I'm sure they used the Patriot act to do the searches.

Maybe these groups will smarten up and figure out who the infiltrators are in their groups and set them up next time.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Seems like the only real anarchists here are the police and the authorities behind their action as they have no regards for laws or rights regarding the person or property.Like i've said before in this forum ,you are sleepwalikng into martial law and for all the posters who try to justifie the police actions you are your own worst enemy.Is it going to take until your rights are nearly completely erroded for you to realise who your real enemy is.There are probably as many'lets bomb the # out of stuff anarchists' in those houses as there nuns in the Playboy mansion.Get real ,get organised and fight back.The strength of their response will indicate how much they fear the power of the people.Fear is their major weapon right now to keep you subdued but their biggest fear is loss of control.Then they will panic,probably completely overeact.Give the authorities enogh rope and they will hang themselves.The question you have to ask is are you on your feet or on your knees?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Good for you!
I can't believe I missed that thread!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Almost makes me want to become a protester to protest the police not the convention.

Funny you say that. Along the way many citizens were joining in the march. More than a few mentioned it was to because of the overblown POLICE presence. What US citizen wants to see such troops on their streets? Its UNAMERICAN! And people are pissed off about here in the Twin Cities.

The police being out in such force IS the true irritant!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join