It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor Palin: On The Issues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Supposedly, she faked her recent pregnancy to cover up for her 16 year old daughter's pregnancy.

www.ireport.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freakaloin
Supposedly, she faked her recent pregnancy to cover up for her 16 year old daughter's pregnancy.

www.ireport.com...

Sounds like your implying it would look bad if she was protecting her daughter from unwanted publicity?

If this rumor has any validity it will only go to bolster her charachter, at least we know she will stand for what she believes in, even if its a more difficult path.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
We know she's a mom. We know she's anti-abortion - pro-death penalty- and anti-gay relationships

I'm pretty sure she vetoed a bill that would have made same-sex marriages illegal, so I would say she's anti-gay relationships.

I also think it's safe to say she's anti-gun control.

She also fought to get oil companies to pay higher taxes.

She's for government transparency and has a history of battling her own party's corruption.

She has a son in the military, which probably means that she wouldn't take sending troops into harms way very lightly.

Whoa... Jamie, usually I think your posts are full of baiting rhetoric, however you have brought up some really good points here.

For the life of me I kept thinking, "I'm sure they wouldn't have brought her onboard simply to soak up whatever Hillary fringe might still be on the fence. But why then?"

And it appears to me this is why.

You've mentioned a few things that Democratic Voters like at this point... and maybe specifically the Democratic Mom vote.

1. Son in the Military... probably not going to be pro-war. And Biden will have to put his foreign policy in terms of Military Moms now during the debates.

2. Higher Taxes for Big Oil. This helps McCain demonstrate that his ticket is not the Big Oil ticket of Bush-Cheney. This also represents "Joe Public" who has been beleaguered with heavy gas prices this summer, and most likely this coming winter.

3. And she is a Woman, and I think a rather professional and common looking one. In such a way that working mothers will be able to identify with her.

Now, that last one is a transitional item. Obviously Republican Moms would identify with her as much as Democratic Moms. She also holds a lot of traditional Republican Values:

1. Pro-Life
2. Pro-Gun
3. Fiscally Conservative (She cut her own salary)

So although it doesn't really impact me as a voter, I can better understand the logic that went into deciding to put her in the ticket. I think that is probably one of the weakest links though. The fact that John McCain met her once before selecting her, I think, makes this look like 100% choice based on winning the white house, not based on what qualifiers as VP. Not to say she isn't qualified, but it seems like a hasty and uninformed choice, if only because McCain only met her once. Does that describe how he will make Executive Decisions? Maybe it could be spun as he can make good decisions quickly.

Anyway, Thanks for highlighting some of those for us Jaime.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think she will make a good vp. She will be a nice offset to macain.

It is pretty funny watching you, andrew, try to throw the "lacks experience" card when you worship obama.

Come debates, she will kick biden's @$$.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
I think she will make a good vp. She will be a nice offset to macain.

It is pretty funny watching you, andrew, try to throw the "lacks experience" card when you worship obama.

Not at all... we've had that card thrown at us ever since the Primaries began. This is our way of asserting the non-validity of that stance and in turn harassing those who have used it as a wedge in the past so as to make a moot point in future debates.

Gotta use yer Noggin :-)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I'm not the one who said experience was a fundamental asset to be POTUS

funny how your short term memory rivals that of a common petshop gold fish...

I'm throwing the argument back in your smug faces

before Palin - all you conservatives could talk about is how much Experience McCain has and how much Experience Obama doesnt

Now all you can talk about is "how much experience Palin has" and say that, by your own standards, its more than Obama

but - but your OWN standards, its almost more than McCain

or are you too...umm...whats the proper word....well we'll have to use "ignorant"

to see that?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhc_70

Originally posted by Freakaloin

www.ireport.com...

Sounds like your implying it would look bad if she was protecting her daughter from unwanted publicity?

If this rumor has any validity it will only go to bolster her charachter, at least we know she will stand for what she believes in, even if its a more difficult path.

So it would prove that she stands for lying? Well, she should have no problem stepping into the role of Vice President, then.

That is, IF such a story as this is, in fact, true. It does seem odd that the picture on the post allegedly shows her a month or so before the birth of the baby. Hmm...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
Come debates, she will kick biden's @$$.

And the Cubs are going to win the World Series, too.

Biden'll be pulling his punches on Gov. Palin, lest he upsets those who don't want to see this hockey mom get verbally cross-checked.

[edit on 8.31.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
before Palin - all you conservatives could talk about is how much Experience McCain has and how much Experience Obama doesnt

Now all you can talk about is "how much experience Palin has" and say that, by your own standards, its more than Obama

but - but your OWN standards, its almost more than McCain

Wiggin, you are really becoming more and more bizarre in your claims.

Before and AFTER Gov. Palin, conservatives are still rightfully pointing out that Barry O. has very little experience compared to McCain's 23 years as a naval officer and 26 years in the Senate. This is still true.

Now with Gov. Palin on the ticket, the Republicans have also added somebody with executive branch experience. I understand it's only 2 years of being the Chief Executive of a state, but it's still two more years than Obama, McCain, and Biden have combined running anything.

So in other words, Gov. Palin's experience complements McCain's. Biden's experience complements Obama's.

Of the four, Obama is still the weak link in terms of experience since HE is asking people to make him the POTUS. Gov. Palin is running for the supporting role of VP, not POTUS.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

I wouldn't be so sure. Maria Bartiromo of CNBC, who interviewed Palin just before she was selected as the VP nominee, gives her a very strong review:

Video

I already held a similar opinion of Palin after listening to a few interviews I've seen. Still, when one of the most respected voices on economic matters in American journalism says that she is a good pick on those matters, I listen.

I think the people writing Palin off as a lightweight may be in for a surprise.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

My post has nothing to do with who I would "support" in the VP debates. I'm simply suggesting that, issues aside, Biden is a fierce debater, while Palin appears to be getting comfortable in her seat.

I may be wrong. But whomever suggested that Gov. Palin would "beat Biden's @$$" [or something to that effect] is going to o.d. on the Kool-Aid if he/she isn't careful.

My statements about Biden are based on carefully watching his performances in the Democratic debates. My statements on Palin are based on searching for footage of her in relevant appearences, be it debating, discussing issues, etc.

Good luck, Mrs. Governor.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion

So it would prove that she stands for lying? Well, she should have no problem stepping into the role of Vice President, then.

No, it would prove that she is no different than the average American citizen that wanted to protect their child.

I do find it ironic how well your statement applies to Joe Biden.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

And I find it interesting that you're obviously assuming that I'm a supporter of Biden. Believe me when I tell you this...Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same devalued coin.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

...and I'm not so sure that the "average" American would lie to millions of people in order to cover up her daughter's teenage pregnancy by faking a pregnancy...isn't that illegal, by the way?

Just askin'...

THAT ALL SAID, I do not accuse Gov. Palin of committing this alleged crime. As of now, it's just another Internet rumor...like the curious play on words that is the Democratic ticket.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

A few days ago I agreed with you, much less now that Palin is on the ticket.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
she's a lifetime member of the NRA

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

My statements about Biden are based on carefully watching his performances in the Democratic debates. My statements on Palin are based on searching for footage of her in relevant appearences, be it debating, discussing issues, etc.

Good luck, Mrs. Governor.

Yes, Biden's performances in the debates earned him a 5th place finish in the Iowa caucuses and a quick exit from the campaign.

What you are missing is that the debates are all about expectations.

Obama and Biden are in a no-win situation. If they do well people will shrug because it will be expected of them. If McCain and Palin do anything other than make fools of themselves they will be perceived as exceeding expectations.

Also remember that Kerry pretty much cleaned Bush's clock in at least 2 of the debates as I recall. But that didn't mean much in November 2004.

I think where McCain and Palin have a HUGE advantage is in momentum. Obama's campaign has peaked. The excitement over McCain's campaign has just started. McCain's campaign will try to make the excitement peak come Nov. 4 with the real possibility Gov. Palin being the first woman elected to VP.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

You make a good point: performance in a debate so often means little on election day. Especially in this day and age, people want flash, sound bites, etc. The lowest common denominator kind-of appeal. God, shed Your Grace on us...

As far as Election Day...the fix is in. Prepare to be mesmerized...

[edit on 8.31.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

reply to post by jamie83

You make a good point: performance in a debate so often means little on election day. Especially in this day and age, people want flash, sound bites, etc. The lowest common denominator kind-of appeal. God shed his Grace on us...

As far as Election Day...the fix is in. Prepare to be mesmerized...

Thanks.

Funny thing is it DOES feel like this election has been fixed, but it's hard to figure out yet for whom???

My guess?

McCain gets rewarded for his years of loyalty to the PTB with the Presidency. Obama gets rewarded for eliminating Hillary Clinton with his celebrity, prestige, and millions of dollars.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by jamie83]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Funny thing is it DOES feel like this election has been fixed, but it's hard to figure out yet for whom???

I think that may be an effect of the long 'pre-game' season..

If anything, this election has been 'fixed' FOR THE MEDIA -- they've been making out like bandits, churning out their 'product'.

Manufacturing divisiveness, underscoring controversy, defining our differences; hey, it's democracy, baby -- gotta love it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join