It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gain an extra 20% of your Bandwidth (Windows XP and up)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by funky monk

hi there im using vista

the i type gp edit in the windows r box but it errors is there another way of doing this ty

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Can I be the first to call shenanigans on this?

These 2 links explain it better than I can...

www.setup32.com...

and

www.g4tv.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lozzo

Ok, Im not too sure how it works exactly in XP but in Vista thia 20% of bandwidth that is saved is saved for the OS to use and for it to allocate to apps that need priority bandwidh (i.e. bit torrent clients, MSN, windows update etc...). That 20% might not be a problem most of the time but generaly it can make a difference when you are trying to run multiple web apps and one sits there and sucks all the bandwidth from your connection (I am under the impression that vista can allocate 20% for each app that requests it but I may be wrong).

So yes in some (read: most) cases this can be completly worthless, but for some it can provide a speed increase for their internet.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Ok, if you are getting an error then you might be typing it in incorrectly. But thats ok becasue we can get there another way.
I am un sure of how to get into this through the control pannel, but Im not sure you can do it that way. Before you try that make sure you are typing in the right thing: gpedit.msc

Try the following (its still generaly the same thing tho):

Open up any explorer window (my computer, documents, control pannel etc..) and click in the address bar (you should now be able to type stuff in) and type gpedit.msc into that (copy paste the gpedit that I typed in this post). It should then bring up the local group policy. If it errors then post the error if you can.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I usually disable QoS because I don't use any program that uses it (most of those that do are for video-conference or IP-phones, those are the type of program that needs to guarantee some bandwidth to work as it should), so I don't know if it makes a difference.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, and type "gpedit.msc" gives me an error too.

Another way of doing it is to type "mmc" on the Run box. This will show "Microsoft Management Console" (the program that is used for almost all of those management activities) without any snap-in loaded.

Go to "File" - "Add/Remove Snap-in", choose the one you want from the list and click "Add" and then "OK".

The names may be a little different because I am running a Portuguese version of Windows and had to translate for what I think are the names on the English version.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I usually disable QoS because I don't use any program that uses it (most of those that do are for video-conference or IP-phones, those are the type of program that needs to guarantee some bandwidth to work as it should), so I don't know if it makes a difference.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, and type "gpedit.msc" gives me an error too.

XP Home and Vista Home editions were not designed to join a domain, therefore they did not come with gpedit pre-installed.

[edit on 8/31/08 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Go into network connections and right click on your internet connection and go properties... disable QOS packet scheduler....

Works on XP Home.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I'd like to suggest something that I use...

www.blackviper.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
gpedit didn't work for me. I have Xp Home.
I did disable Qos but i didn't see any difference in my internet speed. Both on a speed test and downloading a file. Both times i got about 155kb/s downloads, i might of gotten a 156kb/s with Qos off but thats nothing really.

[edit on 9/9/08 by LI(f)E.]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

That IS strange.....Real strange. Up next the Haunted Toilet

But yeah, it definatly worked for me

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LI(f)E.

Hey there, like was said in earlier posts, its not going to make a big dif unless you are running programs that take advantage of this 20% buisness.
When I turned it off I went from 150kB normal on steam to 170kB - woo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join