It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsweek Attacking VP Palin as a Mother

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Newsweek- Critical of VP Candidate Sarah Palin

I am not naive, I understand the state of politics in the world these days. In our current political environment, anyone and everyone is fair game for attacks, and debate. This "Fair Play" even extends to the spouses of political candidates, at least in so far as any "extreme" comments they might be guilty of putting forth. However, one topic which I believe to be completely forbidden, dangerous, and downright immoral, a topic which cannot under any terms be explored, nor exploited, is a candidate's children.

I not even one hour ago stated to an individual that sooner rather than later, someone was going to bring up the Topic of Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin's disabled child, in a negative fashion. She has an infant who was diagnosed with Down Syndrome. One of the most amazing facts about this child, is that Sarah Palin knew of the Child's illness before his birth, yet she still decided to not only give him a chance at life, but a loving, caring life at that. With four children already in her household, including a son headed to Iraq, I feel this truly speaks to her compassion not only as a Mother, but also as a Human being. For all intents and purposes, Motherhood should be seen as a Great Strength, not a Fault. However, I present you with the Newsweek Article which does not quite see this "issue" in the same light.

You may form your own opinion of this swiping attack, but I for one believe it to be a low-blow, and one which may forever set forth an absolutely abominable precedent.

The balance between work and family, always a ticklish issue, will be brought into bold relief by the fact that the Palins' fifth child, Trig, was born with Down syndrome in April. Todd Palin, a commercial fisherman, may shoulder the bulk of the child-rearing duties in their family. But many voters will nonetheless wonder whether Palin should undertake the rigors of the vice presidency (and perhaps the presidency) while caring for a disabled infant. The subject will no doubt arise on "Oprah" and in other venues.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

NOTE: Even though this is a News Story, I felt it truly belonged in the "Decision 2008" Section.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I saw a few people on TV making similar statements today. Its just more proof that there's nothing too low, no line of attack too disgusting or vile that the news media won't stoop to.

It just further confirms my believe that the news media is the root of all evil in this world.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
#1) Does newsweek think theres something wrong with mothers who leave their children in the care of someone else (especially their father) while they work?

#2) Is newsweek agianst nannys, or other child care services?

So newsweek is saying 50million mothers across the western world are horrible mothers, basically.

Wow, how can this blatent sexism still be going on.

I cant believe that writer got away with that, since half his superiors prolly are women that do the same thing.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I saw a few people on TV making similar statements today. Its just more proof that there's nothing too low, no line of attack too disgusting or vile that the news media won't stoop to.

It just further confirms my believe that the news media is the root of all evil in this world.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by vor78]

maybe not the root of it, but definatly they are a propigator of it
and they relish in it

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
This is Just SAD

What more than this, dealing with the responsability of being a Mom and VP illustrates the struggles of a Woman In America MORE than that situation or could foster more understanding into the lives of the People of America than this womans situation?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Wow.... unbelievable.

I wonder if Newsweek also questioned if Obama would be able to be a good father to his kids if he were busy being President. He already said he doesn't see them for 2-3 months at a time.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Actually Newsweek is attacking Palin based on the same things McCain attacked Obama for. Lack of experience, energy excepted.

They also talked about how she was fortunate to be pitted against Biden for the debates, simply because his expectations are low.

I didn't even see that excerpt in the article.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I hate to sound callous, but given that she understands the nature of politics, I am sure she will handle this as any politician does.. 'onward, forward.'

While I commend her for taking on the responsibilities that came with bringing this child into the world, many women do it across the globe without the same recognition and often times with a lot of the criticism that they didn't put themselves in the position to receive (being that they never chose to be in the public eye).

I am sure she will be fine. I find this no different than what has been going on with obama and mccain. Personal attacks and placing them on a pedestal are all a part of what keep ppl distracted from the issues, no?.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
This is Just SAD

What more than this, dealing with the responsability of being a Mom and VP illustrates the struggles of a Woman In America MORE than that situation or could foster more understanding into the lives of the People of America than this womans situation?

How is it any different than attack Barack Obama on the many talking points you see from some of the members of the moronic masses here on ATS?

he's too black
he's not black enough
he's too christian
not christian enough
he doesn't spoil his children with presents at Christmas time
he's the devil
he's the Antichrist
he smokes

Its not okay to attack Palin? Why? Because she's a woman?

Dont you hate it when people use your own self-deluded ignorant rhetoric against you?

Its hilarious, and justly so.

[edit on 8/30/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Actually Newsweek is attacking Palin based on the same things McCain attacked Obama for. Lack of experience, energy excepted.

They also talked about how she was fortunate to be pitted against Biden for the debates, simply because his expectations are low.

I didn't even see that excerpt in the article.

I'd be careful if i were you. Soon - they're going to call you a woman hating sexist pig for thinking like that

Oh wait - they've alredy started

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

How is it any different than attack Barack Obama on the many talking points you see from some of the members of the moronic masses here on ATS?

Its not okay to attack Palin? Why? Because she's a woman?

It's different because Newsweek claims to be a news magazine, not a PR outlet for Obama. It's different because Newsweek is being exposed as having a double-standard when it comes to the candidates. What Newsweek does has nothing to do with what people post here.

And what you are seeing is Newsweek being justly criticized for their unashamedly biased coverage of the election. You are seeing Newsweek being criticized for their double-standard. You are seeing Newsweek's bias being exposed for all to see, and you are seeing intelligent people here on ATS recognizing this pathetic display by Newsweek.

Sure, Palin is open for criticism. But when it comes to parenting, I am going to put my money on the fact that Palin, a mother of 5, would prove to be a far more involved and better parent than Barry O. ever was. Barry O. has repeatedly talked about he never has time to spend with his kids, and yet when he was vacationing in Hawaii, he played how many rounds of golf? On Father's Day Barry O. said he usually played hoops or golf.

Do you really want to compare Palin and Barry O. in terms of their parenting skills?

Good luck with that one.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

It also shows that the media feels its their role to do all the negative attacks for Obama. That way he can sit back and claim to be above it all.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Come on. The Democrat party is the party of the Marxist-feminist Betty Friedan superwomen who can do it all and now one of the organs of the left is telling us that Palin can't manage job and family?

McCain might not win, but he's a genius.

By the time this election is over, every rational person in the world will see the Democrat party for the hypocritical, shallow twits they've been for four generations.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Its interesting that you mention this. What is the caricature of the Republican party that the Dems have always foisted on the public?

They're a bunch of stodgy, rich, old white guys who keep their homely woman in the background baking cookies, having babies, and keeping her mouth shut.

Now, the Republicans have come along with an intelligent, attractive, young, successful, outspoken woman, from a humble background no less, on their presidential ticket. I think the Dems feel quite threatened by her, because she totally, utterly and completely destroys the stereotype that they've constructed of the Republican party.

You're right. The pick is a risky one, but in this manner, it is a stroke of genius by the McCain campaign. Every attack they make on Palin that is not aimed directly at her politics is going to reflect right back on them. It doesn't look too good for the supposed defenders of women's rights to be tearing down a highly successful woman, one that has come FAR to be the position she's in, and be calling her a 'token' pick. But that's what they're doing today.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Newsweeks misbegotten ploy will probably garner more votes for Palin than it takes away.

She's done ok with her children as governor, looks like she won't have any problems doing the same with the vice-presidency.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is clearly an attempt by McCain to try and woo the women vote away from Obama. I can guarantee that 2 weeks ago not one McCain supporter even knew who she was, today they love her. Bunch of BS and catering to the masses.

Personally, I would have rather had Biden win the nomination, but I'll take what I can get.

Maybe those 6 years in the hole messed with old McCains noodle a little more than we know?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
well just yesterday I posted this:

Originally posted by Fathom
I agree that she would be an excellent choice and they certainly can't attack her for inexperience (she has more than Oby).
The only thing that they can attack is that McCain is only a temper tantrum away from the VP taking over and the question would be "Is Palin too pre-occupied with her downs kid to lead a nation"? and I am pretty sure they would sink that low.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=Fathom

I guess they will sink that low...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

McCain might not win, but he's a genius.

Waitress, i'll have what that guy is smoking....

McCain is a genius?

Thats like saying Bush is a linguist.....its called an Oxymoron.

McCain is a politician - not a philosopher...lets not get the two mixed up

I don't think Barack Obama as anything remotely close to Einstein either.

I see him for what he is - a Politician who will fight to suit what he thinks is best for this country...and since i agree with his outlook - i support him.

Genius?

As if

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
One should question Palin as a mother if they choose her for their vote.

She has a 5 and a half month old baby (Trig) with Down Syndrome.

She is also still the governor of Alaska for now.

Now she has taken on the campaign as VP, so who loses?

Newsweek is correct, what is she going to do, breast feed on the Straight Talk Express between speeches? Of course not. But one has to question Palin as a Mother if she is willing to embark on this Campaign with that baby at home.

gov.state.ak.us...

August 29, 2008, Anchorage, Alaska – Governor Sarah Palin today released the following statement to Alaskans:

“It is the honor of my life to represent you as your Governor, and over the next two months I will continue to do so. As the mother of five, I know how to multi-task, and I will continue to promote the path of reform that we set out on together in the state of Alaska.”

“It is a great privilege to be John McCain's running mate and to be considered by the American people for the Vice Presidency. This honor is a testament to the reforms and progress we have made together in Alaska. Now is the time to take that spirit of reform to Washington.”

Sorry, you are going to need more than a claim of 'multi-tasking' to get my vote.
DocMoreau

Edit to add... if you consider this 'sinking low', questioning a politician's intent because of their family commitments, what do you consider all the rhetoric that has been piled sky high in regards to Obama? I am sorry, but you would have to be an idiot if you didn't question her intent in regard to her family and politics.

[edit on 30/8/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The media is in full blown Obama campaign mode as of today. The early show questioned if Palin is a good mother for doing this:

BILL WEIR: I must ask. Adding to the brutality of a national campaign, the Palin family also has an infant with special needs. What leads you, the senator and the governor to believe that one won't affect the other in the next couple of months?

MIKE DUHAIME: In terms of her personal life? You know, to the extent people want to look at her, she's got an incredible life story: five children, the son going into the military, she's got a --

WEIR: She has an, she has an infant with special needs. Will that affect her campaigning?

Can anyone here point out any such scrutiny about the Biden pick and his past racist remarks? Can anyone remember such skepticism when Edwards entered the race with his dying wife? Hell no!

The media is doing this as a surrogate of the Obama campaign. They do all the negative attacks, while Obama sits back and pretends hes above it all. This is worse than Fox News ever was and is much more widespread.

Here, the Daily Kos accuses Palin of FAKING the pregnancy!

www.dailykos.com...

Palin's faked "pregnancy"? Covering for teen daughter? UPDATE #2!
by Inky99
Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:19:42 PM PDT

Okay, I just have to diary about this, although in many ways this falls into the "none of our business category".

But it appears that Pallin's last child, a baby with Down's syndrome, may not be hers. It may be that of her teenage daughter.

Oh how classy the democrat party is. They are obviously so much more evolved and high minded than the rest of us!

They also have no problem labeling Palin a "conservative", while they never describe Biden as a liberal. Even though he obviously is. MSNBC has been running a graphic that claims Palin is "Under State investigation". Making her look like some kind of crimminal, without explaining the circumstances.

Where oh where are all the fox News hand wringers? It only proves that they only care when their agenda is at risk.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Dronetek]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join