It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

breaking news: comcast metering time you can spend on the internet -- AOL to follow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well, today Comcast billed me $72.00 for internet for one month -- and that's BEFORE they add on charges for over their limit of internet usage.

"WILL Limit amount of info you can send over the web"--limits to 250 gigs to start. Average people use about 3 gigs"

WANT TO LIMIT MUSIC AND VIDEO DOWNLOADS & UPLOADS

--SERVICE CANCELED FOR A YEAR AFTER SECOND OFFENSE--for starters.

I was already shopping for another provider -- which is difficult since they have a cable monopoly in my area -- and may just get off comcast internet anyway.

Now, for the conspiracy angle: first of all, the internet was built with TAXPAYER money, then the creeps moved in to control it, and now, meter it?!

It's clearly becoming a society only for the rich -- ignoring everyone else.

I think the comcast goons came from the phone companies, let's see. Here's their board of directors www.cmcsk.com...:

S. Decker Anstrom
Mr. Anstrom was President and Chief Executive Officer of The Weather Channel from 1999 to 2001. In 2002, Mr. Anstrom became a director and President and Chief Operating Officer of Landmark Communications, Inc., a privately held multimedia company, the assets of which include The Weather Channel. He is currently Chairman of the board of directors of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association and a director of Pelmorex, Inc.

a rich kid multimillionaire
---

Kenneth J. Bacon
Kenneth J. Bacon, 53, has served as a director since November 2002. Mr. Bacon has served as the Executive Vice President of Housing and Community Development at Fannie Mae since July 2005. Prior to this, he was the interim Executive Vice President of Housing and Community Development from January 2005 to July 2005 and Senior Vice President of Multifamily Investment at Fannie Mae since 2000. Mr. Bacon is a member of the Executive Leadership Council, Real Estate Roundtable and the Urban Land Institute.

Fannie Mae, one of the most corrupt Fed/City-of-London companies -- owned by the same people who own the Fed-- we owe the Fed 9 trillion and owe Fannie Mae 4 trillion -- biggest thieves on the planet (fractional banking)
---

Sheldon M. Bonovitz
Sheldon M. Bonovitz, 70, has served as a director since November 2002. Prior to November 2002, he served as a director of our predecessor for more than five years. Mr. Bonovitz is Chairman Emeritus of Duane Morris LLP. From 1998 to 2008, he served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Duane Morris LLP. Mr. Bonovitz is also a director of eResearchTechnology, Inc. In addition, he is a trustee of the Dolfinger-McMahon Charitable Trust and the Christian R. and Mary F. Lindbach Foundation, and he serves on the board of trustees of The Barnes Foundation, The Curtis Institute of Music, the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Mr. Bonovitz also serves on the board of directors of the Philadelphia Orchestra. He is also a founder of the Foundation for Self-Taught American Artists, is the Foundation’s Chairman and serves on the Foundation’s board of trustees.

another multimillionaire of the ruling elite (see Domhoff's: 'Who Rules America')
---

Edward D. Breen
Edward D. Breen, 52, has served as a director since June 2005. Mr. Breen has been Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Tyco since July 2002. From January 2002 to July 2002, Mr. Breen was President and Chief Operating Officer of Motorola, Inc.; from January 2001 to January 2002, he was Executive Vice President and President of Motorola’s Networks Sector; and from January 2000 to January 2001, he was Executive Vice President and President of Motorola’s Broadband Communications Sector. Mr. Breen is a director of Tyco.

another member of the ruling elite -- these people probably have from 40million to 200 million dollars
---

Julian A. Brodsky
Julian A. Brodsky, 74, has served as a director since November 2002. From November 2002 to April 2004, he served as our Vice Chairman and since May 2004 he has served as our non-executive Vice Chairman. Mr. Brodsky has been an employee of Comcast for more than five years. Prior to November 2002, he served as a director and Vice Chairman of our predecessor for more than five years. In addition, he is a director of Amdocs Ltd. and RBB Fund, Inc.

a venture capitalist -- haven't had time to research Amdocs & RBB Fund
---

Joseph J. Collins
Joseph J. Collins, 63, has served as a director since October 2004. Mr. Collins currently serves as the Chairman of Aegis, LLC. He had been Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of AOL Time Warner Interactive Video from August 2001 until December 2003. From 1989 to August 2001, Mr. Collins served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Time Warner Cable.

AOL Time Warner is "the corporate media" + AOL has questionable marketing & billing practices -- IF COMCAST IMPOSES TIME LIMITS AND THIS JERK IS ON THE BOARD -- YOU CAN EXPECT AOL TO ALSO IMPOSE TIME LIMITS
---

J. Michael Cook
J. Michael Cook, 65, has served as a director since November 2002. From 2001 until 2002, Mr. Cook served as a director of AT&T Corp. Mr. Cook is a director of Eli Lilly & Company and International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. Mr. Cook is also a member of the advisory board of the Securities Regulation Institute, Chairman Emeritus of the board of Catalyst, Chairman of the Accountability Advisory Panel to the Comptroller General of the United States, a member of the Advisory Council of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) and a member of the advisory board of the Graduate School of the University of Florida.

can't get more telephone corruption than an AT&T background. As I recall, AT&T broke off from IT&T for anti-trust reasons -- IT&T arranged coups in South America and supported Hitler
---

-- I want to post this right now -- will come right back and finish the last director profiles

Gerald L. Hassell
Gerald L. Hassell, 56, has served as a director since May 2008. He is President of BONY. Prior to the merger of The Bank of New York Company, Inc. and Mellon Financial Corporation in July 2007, Mr. Hassell was President of The Bank of New York Company, Inc. and The Bank of New York for more than five years. Mr. Hassell is on BONY’s board of directors. In addition, he is Chairman of the board of visitors of The Fuqua School of Business at Duke University, a member of The Financial Services Roundtable and Financial Services Forum, a member of the board of the New York Philharmonic and Vice Chairman of Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New York.

another mega-rich banker
---

Jeffrey A. Honickman
Jeffrey A. Honickman, 51, has served as a director since December 2005. He has been the Chief Executive Officer of Pepsi-Cola and National Brand Beverages, Ltd., a bottling and distribution company, which includes among its affiliates Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of New York and Canada Dry Bottling Companies from New York to Virginia, for more than five years. He currently serves on the board of directors of the American Beverage Association and the Pepsi-Cola Bottlers Association, where he served as Chairman from 1999 to 2001. Mr. Honickman is a member of the board of trustees of Germantown Academy, and also serves on the board of governors of St. Joseph’s University Academy of Food Marketing, the board of trustees of the National Museum of American Jewish History and the Dean’s Advisory Council of the Drexel University College of Business and Administration.

pepsi-cola? another company part of the Warburg? portfolio.
---

Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts, 48, has served as a director and as our President and Chief Executive Officer for more than five years and our Chairman of the Board since May 2004. Mr. Roberts is also a director of Comcast Holdings, a director of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association and Chairman of CableLabs. He is a son of Mr. Ralph J. Roberts.

these are the richest people in this country, this whole board are "the corporate media"
---

Ralph J. Roberts
Ralph J. Roberts, 88, has served as a director and Chair of the Executive and Finance Committee of the Board for more than five years. He is the father of Mr. Brian L. Roberts.

Dr. Judith Rodin
Dr. Judith Rodin, 63, has served as a director since November 2002. She is President of the Rockefeller Foundation. Dr. Rodin had previously been President of the University of Pennsylvania, as well as a professor of psychology and of medicine and psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, from 1994 until 2004. She is currently a director of Aetna, Inc., AMR Corporation and Citigroup Inc.

citicorp, one of the Rockefeller/Bormann Org neo-Nazi banks
---

Michael I. Sovern
Michael I. Sovern, 76, has served as a director since November 2002. Prior to November 2002, he served as a director of AT&T Corp. for more than five years. Mr. Sovern is Chairman of Sotheby’s. He is President Emeritus and Chancellor Kent Professor of Law at Columbia University where he served as President for more than five years. He is President and a director of The Shubert Foundation and a director of The Shubert Organization. He is currently a director of Sotheby’s.

prior director of AT&T
---

NOTE in general how these fat cats sit on the boards of charitable organizations. They fit the profile exactly of Domhoff's, "Who Rules America" THE BLUE BOOK SOCIAL REGISTER most wealthy people in the U.S. (which would make them among the richest in the world)

what do THEY care if we can or can not afford the internet?

with a cast of characters from AT&T and Fannie Mae and bankers, watch your backs, internet users.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by counterterrorist]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me if they did - communications is a license to print money.

Just look at the mobile telephony market - what a scam!!!

On a related note: just a couple of years ago voice mail used to be free on contract. Now, the regulator OFCOM, in order to make the market "easier for consumers to know where they with charges" have REQUIRED the operators to charge 12p (24c) /min to access voicemail!!!!

In addition, my operator used to have the same flat-rate call charges to certain area codes for all their tariffs, but as part of this bass-ackwards shake-up of the market, not only have the charges increased, they're now DIFFERENT for every tariff offered by the operator!!!

The whole damn thing is corrupt.

Starred/flagged!!

[edit on 29-8-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
voice mail used to be free on contract. Now, the regulator OFCOM, in order to make the market "easier for consumers to know where they with charges" have REQUIRED the operators to charge 12p (24c) /min to access voicemail!!!!

I didn't know about being charged for accessing voicemail!! That's outrageous!

The whole damn thing is corrupt.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
computer.howstuffworks.com...

Who owns the Internet?

several large corporations provide the routers and cable that make up the Internet backbone. These companies are upstream Internet Service Providers (ISPs). That means that anyone who wants to access the Internet must ultimately work with these companies, which include:
UUNET
Level 3
Verizon
AT&T
Qwest
Sprint
IBM

Well, maybe I'll look at the boards of these companies, too? ...I already know what I'll find -- corporate pigs and warmongers.

Wasn't comcast a spinoff of AT&T?

Within the backbone are Internet Exchange Points (IXPs), which are physical connections between networks that allow data exchanges. For example, while Sprint, Verizon and AT&T provide part of the Internet backbone's infrastructure, the three networks aren't intertwined. They connect together at an IXP. Several companies and non-profit organizations administer IXPs.

The individual computer networks that make up the Internet can have owners. Every ISP has its own network. Several nations' governments oversee computer networks. Many companies have local area networks (LANs) that link to the Internet. Each of these networks is both a part of the Internet and its own separate entity.

Depending on local laws, the owners of these networks can control the level of access users have to the Internet.

remember this:
www.itsecurity.com...

Rumors and speculation about why five undersea cables to the Middle East have been severed — and what it means for IT security.

Jim Higdon on February 7, 2008

Since Jan. 30, 2008, there has been a troubling pattern of underwater anarchy. At first, it was reported that

two, then three, then five undersea fiber-optic cables in key bottlenecks global undersea Internet connection — off the coast of Egypt and in the Persian Gulf — had been severed.
Initially, reports claimed that the two Egyptian cuts were due to a ship’s dragging anchor during inclement weather — an explanation that has since been discounted. In the meantime, three more cables appear to have been severed, (for a total of five), all with direct connections to the Middle East, India and Southeast Asia.

www.britannica.com...

---Nicholas Carr - February 6th, 2008--- Last Wednesday two undersea communication cables carrying Internet traffic were severed near Alexandria, Egypt, causing widespread outages in Egypt and India that left a reported 100 million people without Net access. On Friday, it was discovered that a third cable, off the coast of Dubai, had been cut. And then, over the weekend, a fourth cable, between the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, was reported to be damaged.

No one’s quite sure who or what has caused the damage. Early reports that a wayward ship’s anchor was to blame were contradicted over the weekend by Egypt’s communications ministry, which said that no ships were in the area when the first two cables were damaged. With a lack of reliable news reports on the situation, conspiracy theories are beginning to spread through the blogosphere. One particularly imaginative theory is that a US submarine severed the cables in order to cut off internet service to Iran. Another is that it’s all a ruse to distract attention from a big wire-tapping effort.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It is important for the scope of this to become public. Although the internet (despite what Al Gore says) was basically built by taxpayer funds, once access went beyond the USG community, the "public" needed access points. While I am not defending (in any way) the telcoms and cable co's, they built the access and the NAP's (network accesss points) that are the major traffic transfer points......

Whether we like it or not, they control the civilian internet in the CONUS and most outside access into the USA......

BTW, have you noticed that most major sites and some minor ones all use akamai as their content delivery network? You need a secret and in some cases a TS clearance to work in Akamai network ops.....

no links, all personal experience.......(believe me, I have looked for links)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by habu71
BTW, have you noticed that most major sites and some minor ones all use akamai as their content delivery network? You need a secret and in some cases a TS clearance to work in Akamai network ops.....
no links, all personal experience.......(believe me, I have looked for links)

interesting. I didn't know that. I have to research akamai. ... I just did:

www.fundinguniverse.com...

Very quickly Akamai became a Wall Street darling, involved in a sector (essentially any company even remotely connected to the Internet) that was proving irresistible to investors. The company took advantage of the interest by announcing in August 1999 an initial public offering (IPO) of stock, in the hope of raising about $86 million by selling shares in the $16 to $18 range.

Morgan Stanley Dean Witter served as lead manager of the offering, joined by co-managers Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, Salomon Smith Barney, and Thomas Weisel Partners LLC. But when the IPO was actually conducted in October, demand for shares was so strong--due in no small measure to the success of the NetAid concert--that Akamai commanded a price of $26 a share, selling 9 million shares to raise $234 million and netting $216.5 million.

Moreover,

as soon as shares began trading on the NASDAQ they soared in value to more than $145 a share, a 458 percent gain in the first day on heavy trading, the fourth steepest climb ever for a U.S. stock in its first day.As a result, 42-year-old Leighton and 29-year-old Lewin were worth on paper $1.4 billion each.
Conrades owned enough stock to be worth nearly $960 million. Even MIT graduate students who performed summer and part-time work for stock options were now millionaires. Akamai itself had a market capitalization of about $13 billion, an incredible number given that it was now worth more than Sears, Roebuck & Co.

top topics

join