It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

888 coincidences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A while back I the number 888 follow me around. First was the date 8/8/8. Then I weighed myself and I was 88.8 Kgs. Then I bought three items from the dairy (all of which where significantly marked down in price) And the total came to $8.88. This was all within a week to a week and a half.

Pretty lame story I Know But some people seemn to take this kind of phenomenon seriously. Any thoughts?

Since eight is a supposably a lucky number I considered buying a lotto number, I never did though, I would feel embarrased if I won, I mean only idiots buy lotto tickets

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
then i guess its only idiots that win

unless your under the impression that lotto's rigged... which im assuming you are..
give it a go... find a ticket with 888 in the name and see if your a lucky idiot

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I don't know exactly what you mean by "rigged" but surely with lotto the odds are against you.

Anyway the reason I don't buy a lotto ticket is in an effort to be logical. Mystical experiences, coincidences, synchronicities, altered states and stuff happen all the time, I make an effort to down play them. I think perhaps people don't realise how artificial altered states or synchronicities can be, and of coarse a coincidence may just be a coincidence.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Here is a rather mundane example from my life but bear with me.
I was at the super market buying produce, when suddenly a one litre tub of crushed ginger spontaneously fell of the pyrimid of one litre tubs of crushed ginger.
As the ginger fell to the ground I thought "hey I need some ginger". Then another little voice in my head said "come on be rational buy the ginger based only on it's price and relative merits".
Despite my efforts to be rational I still bought that litre of Ginger, which had an expiary date of four weeks after opening. Now I have to eat a cup of ginger a week

All because of some stupid coincidence.

You can't help your brain labeling these event as significant, and giving them somekind of authority, and then you end up changing your behaviour based on what COULD just be a completely random event. I guess that thought scares me a little, because part of me wants to feel like I'm in control of my actions.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
An example of the artificial nature of an altered state from my life is as follows.

I was hanging up the washing and thinking about going swimming. I was thinking about the endophine rush you get after a good swim, " I will go for a swim and get an endorphin rush" I thought. Then I thought "Why not have an endophin rush right now?"."O.K." I thought.

Then I proceeded to have the most powerful endophin rush of my life. I went into my room, my back hit the wall and I literally sank to the ground on a total drug high. (Never done illegal drugs by the way).

I told this story to a psychologist and he leaned forward and said "How do you do this?" with a manical look of intrigue in his eyes.

People don't seem to realise how easy it is to slip in and out of an altered state, and they don't realise how easy it is for other people to put them into altered states. Consiquently when people have a feeling of euphoria, or a mystical experience I think they trust it far to much.

Many people have reported mystical feelings/experiences around Charles Manson. This does not meen that he has good advice. This does not mean anything other than he was knowingly or unknowingly willing and able to F@$% with peoples minds in some way.

Anyway I am rambeling I think perhaps I will create another post called "Anti-Synchronisity" or something.

top topics

join