It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ozone hole and nuclear testing link

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I read a post by a member that thought that this could be the case but could not find anything on this site about it. I did some research on my own and found this:

The computer-modeling study showed a nuclear war between the two countries involving 50 Hiroshima-sized nuclear devices on each side would cause massive urban fires and loft as much as 5 million metric tons of soot about 50 miles into the stratosphere, said CU-Boulder Research Associate Michael Mills, chief study author. The soot would absorb enough solar radiation to heat surrounding gases, setting in motion a series of chemical reactions that would break down the stratospheric ozone layer protecting Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation, said Mills. We would see a dramatic drop in ozone levels that would persist for many years, said Mills of CU-Boulders Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics. At mid- latitudes the ozone decrease would be up to 40 percent, which could have huge effects on human health and on terrestrial, aquatic and marine ecosystems.

link to site: www.eurekalert.org...
And this lower on the page:

Two 2006 studies led by Toon and involving UCLA and Rutgers University showed that such a small-scale regional nuclear war could produce as many fatalities as all of World War II and disrupt global climate for a decade or more. .

So this suggest that a limited nuclear conflict could create a huge hole in the ozone layer.

Did "they" actually do this just to see what would happen? What a perfect place to conduct these experiments. No witnesses and no structural damage.

There is also the Antarctic treaty of 1959 which specifically bans 1. establishment of military bases, 2. military maneuvers. 3. stationing or testing of any weapon, 4. NUCLEAR EXPLOSION, and 5. radio-active waste disposal. link:www.atomicarchive.com...

This further suggests that there HAD BEEN NUCLEAR TESTING at Antarctica or there would be no need to ban it. Considering the size of the ozone hole over the continent and the research suggested by Michael Mills, it would not take too many explosions concentrated in the area to create the hole.

Of course I could not find a single friggin link that states that we or anyone else ever exploded a nuclear device over the continent but I believe that would be a top secret project and not released to the press.

Just food for thought.

And THEY told us it was our hairspray cans....

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am not sure if this is even in the correct section as this is my first thread. Mods, please move as you see fit.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So this has still been in mind and I just seem to find more and more evidence to corroborate this theory. I am in a chem class in college and am reading up on the ozone hole. It is very odd that the highest levels of ozone in the stratosphere are located directly around the ozone hole. This would seem implausible, there should not be such a stark difference in the levels of O3 (ozone). Here is the kicker, there are high altitude winds that act as a buffer zone that surround Antarctica essentially preventing that atmosphere from mixing with the atmosphere that is around most of the globe.

According to my textbook, the biggest reason for ozone destruction is that not all water vapor falls back to the earth as rain or snow. Some of the H20 molecules make it into the 9mi-18mi area known as the stratosphere.

So what? You may be asking.

A high temperature, high energy reaction is needed to dissociate the water molecules into hydrogen molecules (H+1) and hydroxyl free radicals (OH+1). When the water vapor is spit up like this, the free radical will react with O3(ozone) to produce O2(stabilized oxygen) thus eliminating the previous O3 molecule.

A photon that hits the same H2O molecule will also dissociate the water molecule.

So here is where my nuke theory comes in: How did there get to be so much water vapor in the air down there to allow this to happen? Well, Antarctica is covered in ice which is just frozen H2O. Multiple nuclear explosion would vaporize the ice and propel the vapor to the stratosphere. There they would either be hit by photons from the sun to dissociate or while they were there, the heat and energy from concurrent nuclear detonations would be sufficient for this reaction to occur.

It is true that the ozone levels in many areas around the world will fluctuate in the Tropospheric level (sea-level to 9mi) as the day progresses due to the sunlight reacting to pollutants in the air but the levels drop when the sun goes down and photons stop reacting. This part is facetious anyway because O3 at ground level is hazardous but beneficial in the stratosphere. But why has the hole in Antarctica persisted to exist? Perhaps because the layer was obliterated due to the colossal amount of water vapor released down there?

This also supports the work Michael Mills of UC-Boulder which theorized that a limited nuclear outbreak would release tons of particles into the air that would destroy the O3 bond in large amounts.

So what do you guys think? Does this even matter to anyone? I am curious to know.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by SuperSecretSquirrel]

join