It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we forgotten what VP is for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Wow, with all the latest news about McCain's fantastic choice for his VP have we all forgotten what that office represents?
If for some reason the President is unable to fulfill his/her duties the next person in charge, I repeat-IN CHARGE, of this country is the VP.
I have always taken great care when considering who to vote for. Not just the head honcho, but who they have chosen as a running mate as well. There have been some good choices in the past and some real show stoppers.
I think that the most brilliant choice in recent memory was G. W. Bush tapping Dick Cheney as his "go to guy".
I mean talk about the ultimate bulletproof vest. Even a drooling terrorist would have to think twice about bumping off the prez and putting that prick in power. It's bad enough that he has the influence that he does have. Just picture the radioactive wasteland with him calling the shots.
So...hockey mom, or an established politico who has a pretty good grasp on what goes on in this world.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Nice descriptions.

McCain lost with this weak pick. (he should of tapped Huckabee and his 'Army of God')

Biden will shred her in the debates, just as Obama will shred McCain.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
After last night acceptance speech from Obama I'm looking forward to hearing him tear McCain apart in the three upcomming debates!

~Hands Rubbing Together In Anticipation!~

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think all the critics of McCain's choice are wrong.

The Republicans might have a weak VP candidate, but the Democrats have a weak presidential candidate.

I may be wrong, but I think the Democrats are going to be hamstrung because by attacking Palin, they are going to expose their own weaknesses.

At least the Republicans have the ticket balanced correctly.

Biden should be the president candidate and Obama should be his veep, because Biden is the one with the political experience.

Of course, it will boil down to how Palin comports herself over the next couple of months, but I just don't see this playing out as the McCain critics think it will, Bill O'Reilly included.

If she can play hardball, she's going to garner a lot of support among swing voters, male and female.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

That would be a sight to see, but I think you're underestimating McCain.

McCain might not have much flash, but he's got substance.

Obama's good at the pep rally, but it remains to be seen how he will do on the field of play.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think all the critics of McCain's choice are wrong.

The Republicans might have a weak VP candidate, but the Democrats have a weak presidential candidate.

Just because the MSM hasn't told you about Palin do not think she is a weak candidate. She isn't. She is going to surprise everybody and will help McCain get enough of the "soccer mom" vote to win white, working class states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. And having Palin on the ticket pretty much wiped out any chance Obama had to put Virginia in play.

What you need to keep in mind that the election is not a national referendum. 40 states area already locked in either red or blue. The election is about winning the other 10 states that are in play. Palin is the missing piece of the puzzle for McCain in these states.

And the real question in the debate with Biden won't be about Palin's lack of experience compared to Biden's. It will be about what Biden has DONE with his experience. What has he accomplished in 30 years?

When Palin and Biden are on the stage together, which party will come across as being for change? Which will come across as standing for shaking up the status quo?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Anyone who votes McCain is voting for four more years of GW. I think McCain is too old for the office, and he has a sickly look about him in his old age. He is completely out of touch with how your average American lives, and he is WAAAY out of touch with his people on what we want to happen with our troops.

McCain is so transparent by putting a woman on the ticket. Does he REALLY underestimate us women folk that horrendously that he picks a woman, only hoping to score votes?? What an idiot. Any woman who uses this see through ploy as her guage to vote, is a disgrace to my gender.

McCain is an epic fail any way you slice him.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Anyone who votes McCain is voting for four more years of GW.

How so?

McCain is so transparent by putting a woman on the ticket. Does he REALLY underestimate us women folk that horrendously that he picks a woman, only hoping to score votes?? What an idiot. Any woman who uses this see through ploy as her guage to vote, is a disgrace to my gender.

As a representative of your gender, tell us what you know about Sarah Palin to make such broad statements which imply that her only qualification for being on the ticket is her being a woman.

Do you know of any other candidates McCain should have chosen over Palin?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331
So...hockey mom, or an established politico who has a pretty good grasp on what goes on in this world.

The funny thing is that they are both more qualified than Obama.

Even Biden said Obama is unqualified.

Have we forgot what the office of President stands for?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
What's really sad is that "WE" have forgotten HOW the VP is supposed to be elected... yes, I said elected!

The way the system was SUPPOSED to work is that the VP was the runner up in the electoral vote.
I know! A shock huh? They weren't meant to be picking their possible successor.

Still haven't found at what point that changed though and why. Funny how they have subtly changed things on us over generations, huh? Little by little we have less say so in the process.. if we EVEN have say so now, that is.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma What's really sad is that "WE" have forgotten HOW the VP is supposed to be elected... yes, I said elected!

You know, I've always wondered about that. I'm probably wrong but I think in NY we elect the Lt. Governor separately. I honestly can't remember and I'm to lazy today to look it up.
I've been thinking lately, what would the world be like if the runner up in the national election became the VP. That way both sides would be represented although the prez would have the final say . Probably a lot of assassinations. Could make life interesting though.
I still have a problem with McCain-Palin. The man is one step away from dropping dead. Do we really want to trust some mayor from Alaska running the most powerful country in the world?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

Do we really want to trust a junior senator with 3 1/2 years of major political experience with running the country from day 1?

You can argue all day that Palin might be inexperienced and could struggle if she must assume the presidency, but she won't be there immediately. Obama will. Palin will have a learning curve, if she even has to assume that role at all over the next four years.

Obama? Its like giving your rookie QB his first career start in the Super Bowl. Good luck with that.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Anyone who votes McCain is voting for four more years of GW.
How so?

Because Bush and McCain have essentially the same economic, domestic, and international policies. They have the same views on Iraq.

Have you looked at McCains website or what he stands for? He is keeping the same failed economic policies. If you think that they are that different than you are reject what McCain himself is telling people.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Ok, there is someone that has a grip on the realities of the countries state of affairs!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I actually believe McCain has become completely senile, Obama may be a weak candidate for president but he will balance out with a season VP as biden.

But McCain he had that president seat on his hands he actually did, until the Barracuda came to stand next to him.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

In article 2 Section 1, the original constitution states:

In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President.

Because of (from what I have gathered thus far) conflict of parties however, the following ammendment replaced the original intent thus allowing for TWO seperate votes to take place by the electors (what we refer to as the electoral college now). In other words, the electors of the states would cast two votes, one for president and one for vice president.

This is laid out in Ammendment 12, which was passed by Congress on December 9, 1803 and ratified on June 15, 1804.

However, apparently even the afore mentioned ammendment became moot somewhere in the late 19th century and so even though the constitution clearly states that they are to be voted for seperately, in practice they are voted in together.

Why and how it got manipulated to blatantly violate the process as laid out in the constitution, I still am unclear on; but the fact remains that IT IS directly violating the voting process in our constitution.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Wow, thanks. Very thorough and enlightening. Makes you wonder sometimes what other issues are just "conveniently" overlooked.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331
Wow, with all the latest news about McCain's fantastic choice for his VP have we all forgotten what that office represents?

The screeching nails on a chalk board that will preside over Congress?

Seriously. If you don't want to hear your VP telling you to take out the trash, don't marry her. Because, no matter how hot she is on the honeymoon, you will need to take out the trash, and now by voting McCain you are putting a freaking Hockey Mom in Charge of Congress.

Oh, yes, let's PROVE government doesn't work. I've emailed her Robert's Rules. Hope she reads them as well as she did Bush's speech writer's speech for Romney.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by MrMysticism
McCain might not have much flash, but he's got substance.

Giggle. Freaking, ha, ha, GIGGLE.

Yup.

top topics

join