It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin's Interview, Investigation and VP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
In an interview with Larry Kudlow, Palin is asked about the ongoing investigation that is being brought up, as well as the Vice Presidential nomination.

Unfortunately she has a poor choice of words, in that she actually asks, "What is it exactly that a VP does every day?" She apparently wants it to be "fruitful", especially for her state.

Full clip

A small clip of the poor choice of words

Even though I can understand what she is saying, that she wants to do good things in her position as Vice President, her wording makes it sound like she is clueless on the position. This may come back to bite her, though I agree with the writer of the link in that she is at least holding up well to being investigated. The investigation itself doesn't seem like it'll be that big of a deal, in my opinion.

I am sure there will be thoughts on this from both sides.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by davion]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

With regards to her VP statement, its quite obvious that she's alluding to the fact that, technically, the VP has an almost non-existent role in governing and that she's used to having more ability to set policy. The Dems may try to use it against her, but its petty and would be very obviously taking the comment out of context.

Granted, that hasn't stopped either side before.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

She should ask Cheney, for he is both executive and legislative in nature and at the same time neither executive or legislative for whenever he wishes to not answer an inquiries.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Cheney is a rather unusual case in that he has a great deal of influence over how policy is set in the Bush administration. He probably had more than any other VP in history. There are no guarantees that the same will be true of Palin, Biden, or any other future VP. Technically, they have only one role in government and that's the Senate tiebreaker.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by davion

With regards to her VP statement, its quite obvious that she's alluding to the fact that, technically, the VP has an almost non-existent role in governing and that she's used to having more ability to set policy. The Dems may try to use it against her, but its petty and would be very obviously taking the comment out of context.

Granted, that hasn't stopped either side before.

Yes, there has been quite a bit of quote mining going on, it's unfortunate. With these last couple of elections it seems like personally attacking an opponent has taken precedence over talking about substance. Probably because neither side can do much to help the country and instead of highlighting that they'd just rather slap each other around.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

No disagreement there. Both sides of the isle in DC seem much more interested in scoring political points and embarassing the other side than they do in advancing the interests of the general public. I guess that's easier for them than actually using what little brains they have and formulating plans that would be beneficial to the country.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

reply to post by pluckynoonez

Cheney is a rather unusual case in that he has a great deal of influence over how policy is set in the Bush administration. He probably had more than any other VP in history. There are no guarantees that the same will be true of Palin, Biden, or any other future VP. Technically, they have only one role in government and that's the Senate tiebreaker.

I doubt we'll see too many more like Cheney. Bush was a lame duck from the beginning, making room for Cheney to orchestrate the things he wanted to orchestrate without too much problem.

If McCain became President I think Palin would probably be brushed off to the side, and it seems like Obama and Biden are at least friendly together so they might help each other out, especially with Biden's experience.

Who knows though, faces change once they get the power. I am farily confident though that Palin isn't anything more than a way to try and bring in votes that Obama is lacking on the Clinton front. They'd probably just lock her in a room somewhere if McCain won haha.

"Thanks for the votes seeya later"

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by davion
This may come back to bite her, though I agree with the writer of the link in that she is at least holding up well to being investigated. The investigation itself doesn't seem like it'll be that big of a deal, in my opinion.

She is being investigated for firing the Commissioner of Public Safety after he failed to fire an state trooper by the name of Mike Wooten who was involved in a divorce with her sister.

I have no idea if this is true or not. But, if after she is investigated, and it is found that this was the case then it should matter.

It would be a serious abuse of power to use your position for personal vendetta's.

I guess we have to wait and see what the outcome of the investigation is though.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by nunya13]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
She is being investigated for firing the Commissioner of Public Safety after he failed to fire an state trooper by the name of Mike Wooten who was involved in a divorce with her sister.

I have no idea if this is true or not. But, if after she is investigated, and it is found that this was the case then it should matter.

It would be a serious abuse of power to use your position for personal vendetta's.

I guess we have to wait and see what the outcome of the investigation is though.

I read about it, but from what I've heard is the Commissioner serves at the will of the governor, so if she wants to fire someone she can. Though arguably the dispute is whether or not she fired him on grounds that weren't more personal. It could probably be used as an ethical stab for the Democrats if it comes to that, but it doesn't seem like something that will be earth shattering for her.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

I don't necessarily agree on Palin. Obviously, as a relative unknown, there's always the possibility that she'd have a minimal role in a McCain administration, especially if she struggles through the campaign.

On the other hand, McCain has a reputation of valuing loyalty and of being very loyal to those around him. If she does a good job for him and helps him during the campaign, I think she'll play a significant role. It won't be anything close to what Cheney has, obviously, but as you say, I don't know if that'll ever happen again. I think he'll give her the opportunity to prove him right for selecting her.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

On the other hand, McCain has a reputation of valuing loyalty and of being very loyal to those around him. If she does a good job for him and helps him during the campaign, I think she'll play a significant role. It won't be anything close to what Cheney has, obviously, but as you say, I don't know if that'll ever happen again. I think he'll give her the opportunity to prove him right for selecting her.

That's true. We'll just have to see where things stand over the next couple of months and how she holds herself. I didn't really care too much for her acceptance speech in Ohio or whatever, though I think people are still trying to figure out who she is and how she is going to fit into all this.

She's got some shoes to fill in a short amount of time.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

Palin's body language was more than I've seen in that she was actually in McCain's space; he moved back as she gestured very close to his face. I read this as either being so much into the interview that she wasn't aware - or she would have apologized - or so much into herself...

...and it bothered me so much that I awoke this morning fearing TWELVE MORE YEARS of a vice president and president ignoring any ideas that weren't part of their plan!

new topics

top topics

join