It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Moons Orbit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Is it really true that Luna, our earths satellite, is the only one in the known galaxy to rotate around the earth only showing one side?

I'm still skeptical about the "truth" of our moon.

I do not doubt for a moment that there is Alien/Human Infrastructure on the moon. [Read, Penetration by Ingo Swann]; but what is it's purpose.

Is the moon controlled?

Sorry for being such a "newb", but that's why I joined this site; To absorb the hear-say and intellect of such profound CT's.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Tidal locking? wiki link

Apparently Pluto and Charon are tidally locked as well, perhaps in the future some of the Jovian satellites might get spin locked as Jupiters gravity field is huge (I don't know about its density tho).

I think alien bases on the far side of a tidally locked moon would be a great idea, it seems to me a lot of the craft reported are a bit small for interstellar travel - maybe there are larger motherships they depart from (really large) parked on the farside of the the moon. It would be cool if there was any link between UFO sightings and the location of the Moon (True Anomoly) at the time or thereabouts.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I believe that the moon does indeed have beings on and/or in it. I also believe that it is more than coincidence that the moon happens to have the strange and perfect orbit around Earth. The moon is quite a mystery, and the fact that we do not have our own base set up on the moon is another mystery. There are just too many questions, and not enough release of actual data. I don't believe anything that NASA has to say about our solar system.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Click on the link below, and scroll down to the section titled list of known tidally locked bodies.......

en.wikipedia.org...

The Moon is far from unique as far as tidal locking is concerned.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Mogget]

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Mogget]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thanks guy!

Learn something new everyday =)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by evo80
I believe that the moon does indeed have beings on and/or in it. I also believe that it is more than coincidence that the moon happens to have the strange and perfect orbit around Earth. The moon is quite a mystery, and the fact that we do not have our own base set up on the moon is another mystery. There are just too many questions, and not enough release of actual data. I don't believe anything that NASA has to say about our solar system.

You don't necessarily have to believe NASA, however there are many other source of data on the globe, and the information published about our solar system is cumulative historical scientific data. (and there is tons of it) Is the conspiracy global?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by evo80

It is more than coincidence that the moon happens to have the strange orbit it does: As explained by other posters, it's tidally locked. It's actually quite common.

I fail to see how the moon's orbit is in any way "perfect" It isn't circular, nor particularly exactly aligned with either the earth's axis nor the solar plane. The fact that it always faces the earth with the same face is actually normal for moons.

Eventually, were the earth and moon not doomed to be annihilated by the dying sun billions of years hence, the earth would become locked to the moon, and the same face of the earth would always face the same face of the moon. The moon will have drifted to about 125% of it's current orbital distance further away. (the moon is actually drifting away because of energy liberated from the earth's rotation) At the beginning of the earth as a coherent planet, days were only about half as long. (~14 hours)

Mars' moons both orbit mars showing the same face always, as do at least eight of Jupiter's and fifteen of Saturn's moons. Uranus has four moons tidally locked to it, Neptune two, and Pluto it's one. many of the other moons of these planets (where applicable) are probably tidally locked, but we dont' have good enough data to say so for sure.

Essentially, it's weird for a moon NOT to be orbiting like that. And there's a simple and elegant reason, albeit one that probably took quite a bit of figuring out.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mdiinican

The moon is drifting away because of collision that created it.

The mathematical models match observational data exactly.
Some 3.5 billion years later the two bodies are still in the process of going their own way(a perfectly elastic collision)

I read an article by some somebody, stating that they thought that the earth could have already aggregated and cooled and formed oceans, when the impact that formed the moon occured, re-melting the earth and possibly causing life to have to restart.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
That's wrong. If the moon was moving too fast to be in it's current orbit, it would immediately move out to a higher orbit. The moon is drifting away due to tidal forces. it makes sense if you use conservation of angular momentum.

It makes no sense to say it's drifting away because the moon was created in a perfectly elastic collision. First off, it's obviously not perfectly elastic if it obliterated a huge rocky body and created the moon, reforming the crust of the earth in the process; it's almost completely inelastic. an elastic collision would mean that the moon was drifting around in space, ran into the earth, bounced off like a super ball leaving nary a mark, and found itself in it's present orbit somehow. That really isn't the case. The moon only has a fraction of the momentum that the impactor that created it did; the rest went into a catastrophic reformation of the surface of the earth, and the annihilation of the impactor.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Right terminology goes a long way in understanding things:

We dont know much about moons in our galaxy since the best we can at best make out gas giants around other suns. in our own solar system there are quite a few tidaly locked bodies.

Now what *is* remarkable is that it is the right size and the right distance to almost perfectly obscure the sun, giving us the joy of spectacular solar eclipses

top topics

join